• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Are these hedgehog?

Kent Wang

144257980_6c8b755858.jpg

A restaurant in Guilin, Yunnan province, China had these guys on the menu. I'm not really sure what they are but was told that they were delicious. I regret that I didn't have a chance to try one.

Difficult to say without seeing the heads, but they are likely to be hedgehogs. How are they cooked?

Not sure. The way these restaurants work is that you pick your animal and tell them how to cook it. I believe the default preparation is just stir fry. The waiter said the texture is extremely soft while my aunt -- who I believe has eaten the same thing -- said the meat is all fat and unappetizing.

i have a similar photo but my guy is much bigger. i feel like it is a nutria. a large aquatic rat. they actually wanted to breed these things for food down in the southern united states (back in the early 1900's).

i'm pretty sure mine was from guiling as well! maybe it is a local specialty.

I don't think it's a nutria--their tails are much longer. They look more like porcupines to me.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

The more I look at the images the more the 'spines' look like matted fur, but difficult to say at this level of resolution. There are numerous species of hedgehog (including some in this region), but they don't quite look like this. Of the other spiny mammals I know of are tenrecs and echidna's do not not occur in this region.

They could be young Chinese porcupines (Hystrix hodgsoni), which are sold in the region.

They could be young sad nutria, with their tails tucked under them. They are exensively farmed in Eastern europe and are eaten also.

This is an adult from Tuscany

gallery_1643_811_582583.jpg

Nice chompers.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Wasnt Bourdain served porcupine in China?

t

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association