• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bloomfield Ave. Barbeque

Rack

I am going to be in NJ in July and heard about a great barbeque place on Bloomfield Ave. I think in Newark but maybe Bloomfield or Montclair? I dont know the name. Can anyone helppp? Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if it's the one you heard about, but Indigo Smoke is in Montclair, on Bloomfield Ave., and offers fabulous barbecue, among other great items like catfish, a mean fried chicken, incredible sweet potatoes, etc. I'm always surprised it's not mentioned here more often.

Susan

I'm not sure if it's the one you heard about, but Indigo Smoke is in Montclair, on Bloomfield Ave., and offers fabulous barbecue, among other great items like catfish, a mean fried chicken, incredible sweet potatoes, etc. I'm always surprised it's not mentioned here more often.

Susan

Am I alone in being underwhelmed by the offerings of Indigo Smoke? I've eaten there several times, and as much as I want to love it, I just don't. It's such a convenient local place, and it would be great to have a solid BBQ joint nearby, but I find it to be pretty average.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Well, I think of it more as a soul/Southern food restaurant than a bbq joint. And you're right, I like the bbq, but haven't been blown away by it. But I've never been disappointed by the rest of the food. I often go for the catfish, the lightest item on a heavy menu; it's excellent. When they first opened, I had some of the best fried chicken of my life (and I grew up in the South). The sides are good, and overall I give the place extra points for authenticity, and the atmosphere's nice, too. On the other hand, as I said, I don't see it mentioned here very often, so maybe I'm in the minority.

Susan

Are you talking American BBQ, or is it possible that you've read/heard about the ___ place that's supposed to make phenomenal 'barbeque' chicken?? I want to say it's Latin American, but I'm not sure...

Sorry--that's not a ton of help, I know, but I'm hoping it might jog someone else's memory!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Are you talking American BBQ, or is it possible that you've read/heard about the ___ place that's supposed to make phenomenal 'barbeque' chicken??  I want to say it's Latin American, but I'm not sure...

Sorry--that's not a ton of help, I know, but I'm hoping it might jog someone else's memory!

the only place that comes to mind is Lisboa BBQ on Bloomfield in Verona.

but you said 'phenomenal', so... :wink:

Are you talking American BBQ, or is it possible that you've read/heard about the ___ place that's supposed to make phenomenal 'barbeque' chicken??  I want to say it's Latin American, but I'm not sure...

the only place that comes to mind is Lisboa BBQ on Bloomfield in Verona.

but you said 'phenomenal', so... :wink:

I've seen Lisbon BBQ, by Verona Park. I've never heard anything about it, and I've never tried it myself. Are they doing anything special?

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Thanks everyone. I think that Curlz is onto the right place. Im thinking Latin, maybe more of a storefront, mostly take out. Probably Newark. Any more thoughts?

hitmanoo - you can find an old thread about Lisboa BBQ here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...48534&hl=lisboa

Coincidentally, Rachel and I recently visited Burnet BBQ in Union.

It should be noted that these Portuguese-style BBQ restaurants are not doing "Barbecue" in the American sense in terms of smoked meats, they are doing Portuguese-style rotissierie:

NJ Dining: Burnet BBQ (Off The Broiler)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 3 weeks later...
I think I found it! Bloomfield Ave BBQ in Newark. It is Brazilian and sounds great. Ever been there??

Im still looking for someone who has benn to the Bloomfield Ave. BBQ in Newark. Can anyone helpp? Thanks

I think I found it! Bloomfield Ave BBQ in Newark. It is Brazilian and sounds great. Ever been there??

Im still looking for someone who has benn to the Bloomfield Ave. BBQ in Newark. Can anyone helpp? Thanks

There are many good Brazilian BBQ places in Newark, but I'm fairly sure there is not one with this name. Why don't you do a forum search for Brazilian rodizio places?