• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Restaurants

SBonner

Helen and I just returned last night from the next series of Chinese restaurant documentaries created by Director Cheuk Kwan and Camera man Kwoi Gin at the Pacific Cinematheque. They are on again tonight and Thursday.

Last night's show concentrated on Chinese restaurants in Brazil and India. It was facinating to see Chinese restaurants and cuisine fused into the cultures of Calcutta, Darjeelling, and the Amason River Basin city of Manaus. Both the director and camera man were in the audience for a Q&A last night. They mentioned their best Chinese food experience while filming was from a small restaurant in Northern Madagascar and worst in Cuba.

If you missed the films, they are now available on a five disk dvd set for $130. I picked up a set so we may have to organise an event paired with food and wine and watch them with some other egullet members :wink:

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Do they have the DVD set available to buy at the Cinematheque?

Yes for the next few days then it's available on the internet.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I was at the movie too last night and bought the DVD set as well. Too bad it wasn't well publicized, there were so many empty seats. $130 is a great price for 5 DVDs, 1 CD music soundtrack and autographed too. But they take only CASH.

Helen and I just returned last night from the next series of Chinese restaurant documentaries created by Director Cheuk Kwan and Camera man Kwoi Gin at the Pacific Cinematheque. They are on again tonight and Thursday.

Last night's show concentrated on Chinese restaurants in Brazil and India. It was facinating to see  Chinese restaurants and cuisine fused into the cultures of Calcutta, Darjeelling, and the Amason River Basin city of Manaus. Both the director and camera man were in the audience for a Q&A last night. They mentioned their best Chinese food experience while filming was from a small restaurant in Northern Madagascar and worst in Cuba.

If you missed the films, they are now available on a five disk dvd set for $130. I picked up a set so we may have to organise an event paired with food and wine and watch them with some other egullet members :wink:

Cheers,

Stephen

Yes, please do this because $130 is an outrageous price for 5 dvds. or anything for that matter

Jason

Editor

EatVancouver.net

how much was going to the documentary?

This is going off the thread but it was all self developed so 100% goes to the crew.

Cheers,

Stephen

MY BLOG

I guess I'm asking, can regular people attend the screenings?

Yes...the admission price is $9 at the theatre. I think the various episodes play at 7 and 9pm tonight and Thursday. It's all part of the Asian Film event series.

Cheers,

Stephen

MY BLOG