• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seeking Summer Food Events in Ontario

Csaville

We have a couple in our neck of the woods (Kawarthas) but I'm wondering if there are any small town food events, festivals, celebrations, that the rest of us should know about?

Chantal

www.kawarthacuisine.ca

"Where there are vines, there is civilization"

from Mondovino

What a great idea for a thread! I'd love to see some discussion of what's out there and reports of anyone who has gone where and bought what. If anyone has specific dates for things, please PM me and I'll add them to the calendar.

Living in Toronto I make do during the week with various farmers markets if I can sneak out of the office! I like Riverdale farmers market, held every Tuesday.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

We have a couple in our neck of the woods (Kawarthas) but I'm wondering if there are any small town food events, festivals, celebrations, that the rest of us should know about?

Perth, about and hour west of Ottawa has an annual Garlic Festival, August 12-13 this year

Perth Garlic Festival

I'll add in some of ours then...:

July 21 & 22 -- Fiesta Buckhorn -- Taste of Fiesta preview night on Friday the 21st from 5 - 9 p.m. The main event is on Saturday July 22 from noon to 7:30 p.m. This is the 10th annual of this AMAZING food and wine event! Visit their website at http://www.fiestabuckhorn.com for more information about tickets, location (maps), a list of exhibitors and more!

October 21 -- ONCE AROUND THE KITCHEN SHOW- Gourmet food, wine, spirits sampling, culinary, cooking demos & sales. Public dessert competition and live bands. To Support food for kids program. Location TBA. For more information call 705-657-3636 or visit oncearoundthekitchen.com

Chantal

www.kawarthacuisine.ca

"Where there are vines, there is civilization"

from Mondovino

Burlington has a rib fest as well, they claim it is the largest rib fest in Canada. It is run by Rotary and is on the labour day weekend down at the waterfront. A very popular venue, brings in lots of visitors.

Calipoutine, your post about the rib fest in London reminded me of a recipe published in the London Free Press that was the winning BBQ sauce for Texas ribs one of the years I was at university there. I have of course fiddled it a bit, but it still makes a great rib sauce. Contains horseradish.

Hope I'm not too late...

Here's what I know about Waterloo Region:

KW Multicultural Festival 24-25 June

Blues, Brews and BBQs from 10-13 Aug

There's a Greek food Festival that happens but I don't know exactly when.

I know Guelph as a Ribfest, but it seems to be the travelling one that hits most large and mid-sized communities in the summer (same vendors set up in Guelph, Waterloo and London).

Raspberry Sour usually posts lists of Canadian foodie events on The Sour Patch

Edited by Jasmine (log)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

j.

blog: Confessions of a Cardamom Addict

The London Rib fest is actually the beginning of August. the 3rd to the 7th.

There is also the Fiesta Italiana at the Market from the 11th to the 13th of August here in London too.

Another fun food thing (but not strictly food) Is the giant fish fry put on in Owen Sound the September long weekend. All the fresh caught, freshwater salmon you can eat!