• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need a dessert for hiking

maxmillan

I will be gong on a 7 hour hike this Sunday and it looks like a warm one.

This is an annual hike where we each make dessert and have a buffet during the midpoint. I didn't attend last year's first hike but I heard ice cream was to be had!

I don't want to go to too much fuss with refrigeration and packing.

Rather than make the mundane cookies can eGulleteers suggest something different? I don't mind cookies if it's unique.

Someone is going to attempt a Black Forest Cake and another is bringing a pie.

Any ideas?

Just because someone will bring something exotic doesn't mean that it holds up well and tastes good.

I've made a chocolate sour cream cake which remains very moist and is very easy to make. Instead of making a cake I also did it in the small nordicware pans to make mini cakes or use a muffin pan.

(I was looking for the recipe but I don't have it handy.)

Jeff

How about a selection of loak cakes? The square shape is ideal for packing--if necessary, you can transport them in the loaf pans.

Lemon, chocolate, grand marnier, olive oil & rosemary, fruit cake, etc.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

There is an interesting variation on rice krispie treats in this month's Cooking Light that could work well for a hike. They have pepitas and dried cranberries, and I also threw in some chocolate chips when I made them the second time. They are really addictive and disappeared quickly in our house.

Here's the recipe:

http://food.cookinglight.com/cooking/recip...cipe_id=1185377

I'm thinking something along the lines of a cupcake or small cake type item that has the icing in the middle instead of on top, where it would get all smooshed on the hike...

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

Flavored meringues which have the advantage of being very light.

They need strong walls around them tho, during travel (tupperware)

If you were willing to do the hassle, they are delicious when sandwiched about whipped cream (must be done at time of service tho).

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Apricot Almond Bars (cookie layer on bottom, then apricot filling and then finished with a sliced almond/merigue topping). These should be fine cut into bars and stored in a tupperware container.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

How about some extremely decadent brownies?  There are several awesome recipes around, and they'd be easy to pack and carry.

That's what I was thinking. You can do as simple as a ganache on top or dulce de leche swirled into the batter before baking. There's so many variations and everyone loves them!

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

How about fried "pies" made with dried apples. These keep beautifully, wrap in wax paper or brown paper or even foil or baking parchment, but not with plastic wrap.

Fried apple pies

and here is one with fresh apples

fried pies (apple)

some people add raisins, which I don't care for, but if you like them.....

I got these in my lunch when I was a child and I made them for my kids lunches.

I think the Amish and the Pennsylvania Dutch really perfected these - farmers carried them out to the fields for their lunches because they hold up well in transport.

And I bet no one else will make them.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to go with the rice crispies as it is light and can be jostled around in my pack without worry.

But I will consider the other ideas for my next hike. I will have to see what creations are made this Sunday and how they've managed to secure it.

Twinkies and beer.

Special brownies.

Cornbread and honeybutter.

Berries, sugar, and cream.

Rhubarb upside-down cake (or muffins).

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Here's a topic that might be helpful. There are a couple of suggestions in addition to my recommendation of the Lindsey Shere's almond tart (which is amazingly wonderful).

Portable Dessert topic

A more complete version of the recipe appeared recently in the San Francisco Chronicle. I should mention that my copy of the book suggests saving extra raw dough to patch any cracks that occur when the crust is blind-baked.

Lindsey Shere's Almond Tart (in San Francisco Chronicle)

jayne