• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hesser's restaurant advice column

Lesley C

For what it's worth, a profile on her ran in W around a year ago (as i recall), with a photo in her kitchen. The headline read, "Of course I'm a snob." It was a quote which they ran in its entirety. Hmmmm...

Wasn't it Hesser who wrote that article on how to cocoon yourself on a long airline flight?

Jeez, I'd rather sit next to the Fat Guy and party.

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

How truly forunate you all are. The NYT dining section is a smorgasbord compared to the less-than-wonderful presentation put out every Wednesday by the Chicago Tribune. Every week you set the dogs on Ms. Hesser. It's so entertaining. I really love it.

Wouldn't it be nice for us to have a weelky reviewer that we could also love to hate? Someone that would encourage us to buy local for our food writing fixes.

I don't think "The Wimsome One" would go over too well around here. One can get away with being a snob as long as they never proclaim it. I don't think she could cloak herself in the necessary amount of humility that would allow her to maintain credibility. Maybe Fat Guy would consider mov...nah, scratch that.

Oh well, one can dream. In the meantime, we must continue to settle for imported papers. :wink: