• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vermont: Warren vicinity

MLZeats

We will be staying in Warren, VT (Pitcher Inn) for a long weekend. The Inn itself is supposed to have a good restaurant. Are there, however, any other restaurant suggestions (for dinners) within an hour radius? We are chiefly interested in restaurants that feature well prepared local produce .

Warren's fun, we have a place near there but rarely eat anywhere fancy. There isn't much IMHO right in town, or in Waitsfield, other than the place you're staying. A sandwich or salad from the Warren store is a darned good lunch alternative, especially to eat it on the patio next to the river.

I like the Den for burgers and beer, and Flatbread for hippie-era pizza, but something about that place disturbs me. I often hear about, but have never been to, the Farmer's Diner in Barre. They're serious about using local produce, and even cure local hams.

I hope you hear from folks with better suggestions! Notice the nice suggestions for Burlington, not to far away.

If I may be so bold - for local meats and produce, the Schoolhouse Market. The Trapp Family greenhouse and gardens (Waitsfield) are incredible in growing season. Don't miss the falls, even if it's too cold to swim, and for a short but vigorous hike late in the day, Sunset Ridge in the Lincoln Gap.

Blog and recipes at: Eating Away

Let the lamp affix its beam.

The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

--Wallace Stevens

It's been a while since I visited a couple of these places, but all have stellar reputations, and all use local ingredients:

The Alchemist in Waterbury for really great Microbrews and tasty small plates.

The Black Sheep Bistro in Vergennes

Smokejacks in Burlington

Starry Night Cafe in Ferrisburgh

Taste in Burlington

Pick up a 'Seven Nights', it's a free restaurant guide, available almost everywhere.

I may be mistaken but I had heard that the Farmer's Diner was closed. Please correct me if I'm wrong. And finally, for the record, pretty much everything in Vermont is within one hour of Warren. :biggrin:

"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." - H. L. Mencken

Perhaps someone can answer this question for me. We used to have a condo in Sugarbush, and loved a restaurant nearby (not in Sugarbush, but perhaps in Waistfield or Warren). It was an inn, but also had an excellent restaurant. On the grounds wanderered sheep, perhaps some turkeys, I don't really remember. Am I thinking of the Pitcher Inn?

Thanks!

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

Perhaps someone can answer this question for me.  We used to have a condo in Sugarbush, and loved a restaurant nearby (not in Sugarbush, but perhaps in Waistfield or Warren).  It was an inn, but also had an excellent restaurant.  On the grounds wanderered sheep, perhaps some turkeys, I don't really remember.  Am I thinking of the Pitcher Inn?

Thanks!

I doubt that you're thinking of the Pitcher Inn, which is smack in the center of the town of Warren, and backed up against the Mad River. Would've been someplace with more land around it.

L. Rap

Blog and recipes at: Eating Away

Let the lamp affix its beam.

The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

--Wallace Stevens

Perhaps someone can answer this question for me.  We used to have a condo in Sugarbush, and loved a restaurant nearby (not in Sugarbush, but perhaps in Waistfield or Warren).  It was an inn, but also had an excellent restaurant.  On the grounds wanderered sheep, perhaps some turkeys, I don't really remember.  Am I thinking of the Pitcher Inn?

Thanks!

I doubt that you're thinking of the Pitcher Inn, which is smack in the center of the town of Warren, and backed up against the Mad River. Would've been someplace with more land around it.

L. Rap

Yes, the Pitcher Inn is across the street from the Warren Store in the center of town. Could you be thinking of the Tucker Hill Inn, which is in Waitsfield, between the mountains of Sugarbush and Mad River Glen? They used to have a great restaurant, but I have not been back there in many, many years, so I cannot vouch for what they serve today.

"Some ladies smoke too much and some ladies drink too much and some ladies pray too much, but all ladies think that they weigh too much."

From a poem by Ogden Nash - Curl Up and Diet

It's been a while since I visited a couple of these places, but all have stellar reputations, and all use local ingredients:

The Alchemist in Waterbury for really great Microbrews and tasty small plates.

The Black Sheep Bistro in Vergennes

Smokejacks in Burlington

Starry Night Cafe in Ferrisburgh

Taste in Burlington

Pick up a 'Seven Nights', it's a free restaurant guide, available almost everywhere.

I may be mistaken but I had heard that the Farmer's Diner was closed. Please correct me if I'm wrong. And finally, for the record, pretty much everything in Vermont is within one hour of Warren. :biggrin:

Another restaurant that uses local ingredients, that is a member of the Vermont Fresh Network, and is closer to Warren that all but one of these suggestions, is The Kitchen Table Bistro in Richmond (Exit 11 off Interstate 89).

Past threads -- here and here -- on the Warren/Waitsfield/Mad River Valley area of Vermont may also be helpful.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

• 4 weeks later...

Used to live there a while back, still visit semi regularly!

Pitcher Inn is the place for excellent food, and attentive service - not to be missed.

Warren General Store - yes great sandwiches, baked goods and excellent wine selection for take out!

The Den - agree with the person above, grab a seat at the bar, say hi to John, and get a pint of Long Trail Ale and a burger served on an english muffin.

Millbrook Inn - actually thought this may be the one they were trying to locate above - excellent food, nice wine list

Tucker Hill Inn - has gone through a few transitions over the past decade - haven't eaten here recently - used to love the old Giorgio's!

Hyde Away - decent pub food in a great locals atmosphere

Big World Pub - new location is great at the intersection of 17 and 100, fabulous food and great service.

The Common Man - used to be the fine dining spot in the area, great dining room - mixed food!

Chez Henri - still love this spot!! Was there on a wet January day for lunch by the fire, hot bread, french onion soup and a bottle of wine - aaahhh - could go back right now.

American Flatbread - yes it has an odd aura around it, but wow are the flatbreads ever great - you will always think of them when you have your next pizza!

Lots of little spots for sandwiches besides the Warren General Store as well - you will always find good eats around here. This is my favorite area in all of Vermont, people live here because they want to not because they have to - makes a big difference. Try to hit the Saturday morning farmers market as well - lots of great produce and tastes!!