• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tag Team eG Foodblog: Light My Fire!

Hey, Mike, you kept your impending bloggerdom well hidden!  I hope that when you're not busy smokin', you will show everyone a little bit of Pennsylvania Dutch country up close and personal. (Somewhat relevant aside: In my 30 years of living in the Northeast, there has been only one time where I have been in a landscape that actually made me nostalgic for the part of the Midwest where I grew up.  That was driving from Harrisburg to Lancaster on PA 283.  Yes, you can find that sort of landscape in Northeast Kansas and Northwest Missouri--the area is much hillier than outsiders imagine it is.)

So are you gonna fix us some ribs, Mike?  Reveal your rub secrets?  Share with us your killer sauce?

And while I see that you have a great coffee setup, you still haven't shown us your grill yet.  No need to rush--you've got all week, and I'm patient.

Welcome to the wonderful world of foodblogging!  I hope you have as much fun doing it as I did!

Sandy,

I'll try to get some scenery shots. I will show you the grill and the smoker. i may even sneek the fridge shot in. In your honor, I had every intention of a lebanon bologna sandwich for lunch one day. I'll talk more about that wonderful stuff later. Seems us PA guys are doing ok for ourselves these days. Your blog was great. I can't imagine I'll be able to match it. But I will have fun.

I was wondering where the weekly foodblog had gotten to!

I really don't have a good place to set up a conventional outdoor smoking apparatus where I live, but I had recently contemplated the possibility of doing a little indoor smoking in my wok or something (which also has the advantage of being small-scale enough for an audience of one). But even if I don't get it together to do this as a smoke-along participant, I will be happy to vicariously enjoy all you guys' efforts. Happy smokin'! :cool:

But.. could somebody please explain to an ignorant European what's the difference between smoking, grilling, and barbecuing? thanks

Klary we have all seen what you cook and ignorant you are not.

Grilling is a quick cook over high temperture.

Smoking is a slow low temperture cook with real wood burning in so method to flavor the meat, or even provise the heat to cook it. Most of us use charcoal for heat and add wood for flavor.

The definition of barbecue is a little more complex. Some call grilling barbecue, but it is really not. barbecue is much like smoking in that a low slow cook is called for. The term is used by many to describe anything cooked out of doors by which ever method.

that usage also muddies the water. People say" come on over we are having a barbecue". They mean an outdoor party. The food served and method of cooking will vary.

Smoking is a slow low temperture cook with real wood burning in so method to flavor the meat, or even provise the heat to cook it.  Most of us use charcoal for heat and add wood for flavor. 

so you can grill and smoke with the same equipment (like Marlenes grill pictured upthread) but just use different heat?

Smoking is just not done over here. People do what they call 'barbecue', by which they mean, grill.

I'll be paying close attention and probably learn a lot from this blog :smile:

Edited by Chufi (log)

Smoking is a slow low temperture cook with real wood burning in so method to flavor the meat, or even provise the heat to cook it.  Most of us use charcoal for heat and add wood for flavor. 

so you can grill and smoke with the same equipment (like Marlenes grill pictured upthread) but just use different heat?

Smoking is just not done over here. People do what they call 'barbecue', by which they mean, grill.

I'll be paying close attention and probably learn a lot from this blog :smile:

You could smoke with our grill. In fact it came with a smoker box. We do use a Weber Bullet to smoke and for that we use charcol and wood chunks or chips.

If you were going to do it on a gas grill, you'd have a smoker box of wood chips, turn on one side of the grill, but put your meat on the cold side. This is also called indirect grilling when you are roasting or not using a smoker box.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Kettle surgery was unsuccessful, but it was not a necessary surgery.

My Kettle :wub:

gallery_6263_35_71713.jpg

This baby is 25 years old, and to date, the only required repair was to reattach the handle on the lid. Note the wood handles, which used to be standard. I did opt to replace the grill -- not because it was worn out but because I wanted one with the hinged sides. You'll see that feature in action on Saturday.

The problem with our Kettle is that the one-touch feature is sort of not working. There is a handle on the outside (on the bottom) that you move back and forth and there are (or should be) three "paddles" which clean out the ashes. You'll note that we now only have two of these paddles attached.

gallery_6263_35_26169.jpg

So, I got out the appropriately sized wrench and a locking pliers and tried to remove the screw that holds this apparatus on.

You want to talk about gunk. 25 years worth of accummulated crud -- lots of greasy ick, too.

But, the screw thing broke off.

This is what the new piece looks like (I haven't attached the handle of the paddles yet).

gallery_6263_35_48611.jpg

Paul won't be home until late tonight, but I'll have him either drill out the screw or hack-saw off the handle that is on the bottom (that is preventing the assembly from coming out.

As to the Beck's Beer coaster. When we got married, someone gave us an entire plastic wrapped stack of these. We only have about a half-dozen left, and I'd better figure out where to get more. They are great. Disposable, and unlike the ceramic coasters we got, don't leak all over. We've had these for a while (we will have been married 25 years on June 6).

So, the story of my grill and coaster.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Klary, I smoke and grill with the same Kettle. I'm not sure that there is a standard for gas grills, but for charcoal, I think the Weber is sort of the standard.

Susan, i know you love your weber, but really after 25 years don't you think you could break down and buy a new one? :biggrin:

Marlene

25 years entitles you to both. One for the anniversary, one for mother's day :biggrin:

Marlene

OK, blog-lookers. Time for some help.

We are planning on grilling pizza tomorrow night. I know I need advice, although I'm not above having a public disaster.

I know that many books recommend a two-level fire (hotter on one side) or a banked fire (coals to one side), but Cook's Illustrated recommended a fire that covers about 3/4 of the area.

We also need crust advice. Does the standard crust work? I'll dig out what I have, but thought that perhaps you folks could weigh in.

And, what keeps the crust from flopping through the grate (on the side edges of the pizza?

HELP!

Dinner is done, but pics will have to wait until I return from music. I've promised to make Ry a Chocolate Chip Waffle Ice Cream Sandwhich when we get home.

A note about me and grilling. Until about a year ago, Don did all the grilling in our house. I refused to turn the thing on, partly because our old grill had to be started with a flame starter or match since the ignition thing burned out a long time ago. Except I found myself wanting a grilled steak or chicken often when he wasn't home. Since he works late a lot, I rarely had grilled foods during the week. Once we bought this grill, i nerved myself to get comfortable grilling. And I mostly am, although there's always that hold my breath moment between pushing the starter button and hearing the "whomp" of the gas igniting. And of course, I end up with my share of grill injuries. Like the time I lit the bbq not realizing there was still a bunch of grease on the burner, and the ingniting burner turned into one of those momentary towers of flames. That one took most of my bangs off. :biggrin:

Or consider tonight. After we are done grilling, we leave the grill on high heat for 10 minutes to burn off grease etc. Then we shut it off and scrape the grates. Which is exactly what I did tonight, except i didn't realize the plastic handle of the grill brush was close enough to the BBQ to melt. Hot, melted plastic sticks really well to the palm of one's hand. Day 1, injury one.

Susan in terms of the crust falling through the grates, well hell, I've never made grilled pizza before (I've barely mastered it on a stone in the oven!) so I've purchased a couple of pizza grill pans. :biggrin:

Marlene

Marlene, the bbq handle reminds me of my chimney. You'll see the damage I did later this evening.

But, meantime snack time. That sugary cereal left me hungrier today than I usually am. Cross that off my breakfast list. So, to tide me over until dinner:

gallery_6263_35_128589.jpg

During the summer (at least late summer during those four or six weeks when we have local tomatoes) I make my own salsa. But, during the rest of the year, I reach for Salsa Lisa. The hot or very hot variety. Not featured on their web site is a tomatillo salsa, which is also outstanding, but a bit mild for my taste (I like eye-watering hot). They also have a chipotle, which I don't like on it's own on chips, but makes a great marinade or baste for grilled food.

The chips are my local favorite -- Old Dutch. They also make great potato chips, which are especially nice for taking to The Cabin because they offer plain and ruffled chips that come in bags in a box (two bags per box). Makes for fewer crushed chips after rolling around in the back end of the Bronco for 260+ miles.

Both Salsa Lisa and Old Dutch are Minnesota companies. Salsa Lisa is fairly regional, but I believe available in more places than just Minnesota. They make an outstanding product.

I really hate the fact that you can get Old Dutch and I can't! Everytime we visit Don's family out west, we bring back boxes of their chips. I believe Don's still hoarding a BBQ chip box somewhere. THey made the market here in Ontario for a while but Lays and Humtpy Dumpty pretty much forced the stores to stop carrying them. Old Dutch CanadaSigh.

Edited to add, it seems as though Old Dutch Canada now lets you order online. Happy dance Happy dance. Don's gonna love me even more. :biggrin:

Marlene

Home afrom work and ready to grill after a minor crisis phone call from work.

gallery_12506_2882_75870.jpg

tonights dinner

gallery_12506_2882_661909.jpg

in the brine, basic brine with alittle sugar as well

gallery_12506_2882_1226746.jpg

two differnt rubs, one mostly paprika and ground ancho chili, the other Old bay

gallery_12506_2882_657869.jpg

the grill, like me battered and bruised, but still effective, hey have someone pull those weeds will ya?

Susan, I do grilled pizza. Here's how I do it. The grill has to be not too hot, and well-oiled. When your dough is rolled or tossed out to a round, oil one side, and flip the oiled side onto the grill. Stand over it until it's lightly browned but not burnt - you'll be amazed how fast this happens.

As soon as it's lightly browned, remove from the grill to a pizza peel, dusted with cornmeal or polenta and flip over, so the raw side is down and the done side is up and ready for toppings. Be sure all your toppings are fully cooked, as this baby won't be on the grill for long. The fire should be nice and low now, top your pizza and slide it gently onto the grill. Cover the grill and watch it like a hawk, removing as soon as the dough is done through. And that's it.

Susan, I do grilled pizza.  Here's how I do it.  The grill has to be not too hot, and well-oiled.  When your dough is rolled or tossed out to a round, oil one side, and flip the oiled side onto the grill.  Stand over it until it's lightly browned but not burnt - you'll be amazed how fast this happens.

As soon as it's lightly browned, remove from the grill to a pizza peel, dusted with cornmeal or polenta and flip over, so the raw side is down and the done side is up and ready for toppings.  Be sure all your toppings are fully cooked, as this baby won't be on the grill for long.  The fire should be nice and low now, top your pizza and slide it gently onto the grill.  Cover the grill and watch it like a hawk, removing as soon as the dough is done through.  And that's it.

Does pizza on the grill really taste that much better than pizza in the oven to warrant the extra effort? I've never tried it, as I couldn't see how it would be that much better. Tell me why it's so much better, convince me!

Susan,

I haven't grilled a pizza yet, but just checked one of my Raichlen books on the subject. Like Abra, he recommends grilling on both sides.

Here's my question:

Assuming you have a large enough grill, why not place the coals only one side of the and make individual sized pizzas? I'm thinking (and I'm probably wrong) that this indirect method coupled with a low temp would allow to not have to flip the dough an get a nice solid cooking.

The only reason I bring this up is because dough grilled on both sides runs counter to my 20+ years of eating pizza. I want the dough underneath the toppings to still be softer than the underside. Maybe I'm in the minority on this opinion, but i want a combo of soft and crispy...not crispy and crispy.

Regardless, I look forward to seeing how your pizzas come out. What are you thinking about for toppings?

gallery_12506_2882_50536.jpg

pork tenderloin on the grill

gallery_12506_2882_202290.jpg

one turn, just a little char

gallery_12506_2882_206014.jpg

while waiting for dinner we each had one of these

gallery_12506_2882_1228025.jpg

haved new potatoes on the grill, coated with olive oil and sea salt

gallery_12506_2882_790264.jpg

aspargus and potatoes cooking, pork on the side finishing

gallery_12506_2882_1060253.jpg

tonights dinner, grilled pork tenderloin with grilled new potatoes in olive oil and grilled aspargus

Susan, I do grilled pizza.  Here's how I do it.  The grill has to be not too hot, and well-oiled.  When your dough is rolled or tossed out to a round, oil one side, and flip the oiled side onto the grill.  Stand over it until it's lightly browned but not burnt - you'll be amazed how fast this happens.

As soon as it's lightly browned, remove from the grill to a pizza peel, dusted with cornmeal or polenta and flip over, so the raw side is down and the done side is up and ready for toppings.  Be sure all your toppings are fully cooked, as this baby won't be on the grill for long.  The fire should be nice and low now, top your pizza and slide it gently onto the grill.  Cover the grill and watch it like a hawk, removing as soon as the dough is done through.  And that's it.

Thanks Abra

When we decided to do pizza we were all aware that disaster can occour. None of us have done this before, I think it will be fun. It could also be a real debacle, you tips help

NIce lookin pork Mike! Yes, pizza will be interesting. Especially since they are now calling for downpours tomorrow!

Tonight's dinner had to be fast and simple in order to accomdate schedules. During the nice weather, I often turn to burgers on the grill. Peanut Butter burgers in fact. Once again, I'm going to tell you, if you haven't tried them do. They are extremely juicy. The ingredient for PB burgers are simple:

ground sirloin or hamburger, peanut butter, salt, pepper, garlic and butter.

gallery_6080_2891_42976.jpg

Mix that up really really well with your hands:

gallery_6080_2891_3232.jpg

And shape into patties. Regular hamburg patties should be loosely formed but these need to be a little more densely packed because there's not much holding them together. Make fairly well in advance and chill. The chilling is key for holding them together while grilling. I like to use my Tupperware patti stacker

gallery_6080_2891_33860.jpg

Which stacks nicely on top of each other for chilling:

gallery_6080_2891_35023.jpg

Burgers on the grill. Really really, only flip these once. They'll take about 5 minutes a side:

In this picture you can see what I mean about being densely packed. The one in the front is free formed and you can see the cracks in it. It barely held together. I assure you, between the peanut butter and the butter, these will be plenty juicy even when more densely packed.

gallery_6080_2891_58088.jpg

Then the cheddar cheese goes on, the bacon, which had been partially cooked, and the buns if you like them toasted. Don and I do, Ryan doesnt.

gallery_6080_2891_8288.jpg

The tomatoes really arent' the best this time of year, but we like them on burgers.

gallery_6080_2891_33234.jpg

gallery_6080_2891_475.jpg

gallery_6080_2891_16839.jpg

I did promise Ryan an ice cream waffle when we got home tonight. This is another toy that will get a lot of use this week, the KA Pro-Line waffle maker:

gallery_6080_2891_44188.jpg

gallery_6080_2891_20811.jpg

Which makes fabulous waffles, in this case chocolate chip:

gallery_6080_2891_43651.jpg

Spread a little ice cream and voila, a waffle ice cream sandwhich.

gallery_6080_2891_26863.jpg

gallery_6080_2891_4999.jpg

gallery_6080_2891_11296.jpg

Marlene

wow Marlene! I need to come be a kid in your house for that freshly-made ice cream waffle sandwich alone!

When I scrolled down and reached that picture, I found myself staring for a good minute and a half, mouth open, imagining the warm golden crunch of the waffle and the smooth cold creaminess of the ice cream. Then I realized there were chocolate chips in there, and that sent my imagination over the edge. This is one of those nights I'm glad there's nothing sweet in the house except fruit, because I'd go diving into it.

The Kitchn

Nina Callaway

When we decided to do pizza we were all aware that disaster can occour.  None of us have done this before, I think it will be fun.  It could also be a real debacle, you tips help

We did our first pizza on the grill a couple of years ago and the stunning bit was that there was no disaster -- it was a magic walk in the park. Nothing stuck, dough didn't collapse into the grill, it lifted and turned perfectly! And it was fun.

And the results have been consistently excellent every time we've tried it since. No worries, guys.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

gallery_12506_2882_1060253.jpg

tonights dinner, grilled pork tenderloin with grilled new potatoes in olive oil and grilled aspargus

Great blog so far, smokers!

Mike, I like how you showed that pork tenderloin package before you opened it. It's a big one (two). When I buy a package of pork tenderloins, which are usually two, the most it usually weighs is a pound and a quarter or a pound and a half. Nice!

We just picked up a grilling tip from you. . . What you have your potatoes and asparagus placed on is flat. We have some of those, but they are all round or curved. I bet the potatoes come out much better on a flat thing. (I don't know what to call that "thing".)

The white plates above... we have plates just like those!

And one more comment/compliment for now. . . I love love love your dog pictures. The picture of Gus looks like my granddog-to-be-if-my-son-marries-his-girlfriend. How do your dogs behave when you eat dinner? Do they beg, or sit and stare adoringly into your eyes?

I wish we could have the threats of rain that you guys have... As you might have heard, very much of central Florida has been on fire, and one of the wild fires came very close to making us have to leave our home Sunday and Monday. If we could take the rain from you, you could smoke, grill, and BBQ until your heart is content, and we could put out the smoke we have been breathing for three or four days!

Blog on!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.