• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buffalo Meat is Kosher in Israel

Worth keeping in mind that the buffalo meat available in the United States is that of the bison and not the water buffalo. In fact, despite common language usage, the North American bison is not even a true buffalo, belong to the family bovidae, which is the same family as that of domestic cattle, thus meaning that kashrut has not been a problem with them. Only recently have rabbinical authorites acknowledged that the water buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) can be considered in the same family.

I'm confused... is the stuff in Israel water buffalo? :unsure:

I've had kosher buffalo (bison) a few times now - and I'm trying to import it for resale. It's a nice alternative. The prices *seem* like they'll be better than beef and it's leaner.

can you imagine the size of a bison brisket? :laugh:

I'm confused... is the stuff in Israel water buffalo?  :unsure:

I've had kosher buffalo (bison) a few times now - and I'm trying to import it for resale.  It's a nice alternative.  The prices *seem* like they'll be better than beef and it's leaner.

can you imagine the size of a bison brisket?  :laugh:

Where are you thinking of importing it from?

Where are you thinking of importing it from?

South Dakota. We've been talking with a company down there - and tried some samples. I don't know of anywhere in Canada where they are kosher killing Bison.

Here is some insight into the difficulty of Kosher approval for anything:

Chief Rabbi: Buffalo meat kosher

Kosher Buffalo meat has been available in the US for several years.

Ari Zivotovsky, who's mentioned in that piece, occasionally speaks on the mesorah of kosher animals. He's an interesting guy - if you have a chance, go hear him speak.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I'm confused... is the stuff in Israel water buffalo?  :unsure:

I've had kosher buffalo (bison) a few times now - and I'm trying to import it for resale.  It's a nice alternative.  The prices *seem* like they'll be better than beef and it's leaner.

can you imagine the size of a bison brisket?  :laugh:

Yes, they are water buffalo and they were once indigenous in Israel. They have found skeletons in the Hula Valley.