• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seeking sources - manual grinders

gfron1

I think Chop-Rite is the only US company still in production.

I had one years ago - built like a tank.... I gave it to a friend who moved onto his boat after a divorce. He did a lot of fishing....... :rolleyes:

I don't know who makes coffee mills now.

I do know that Lehman's carries this one from England and a couple of others.

They cater to the Amish and others that do not use electric appliances so usually have a good selection of hand-powered things.

They also have a great collection of grain mills.

Lehman's grain mills

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I know you are looking for mfgs not retailers, but Lehman's also carries a stainless meat grinder (body and screw are stainless; plate and blade are cast iron). I bought one a couple of months ago at their retail store in Kidron, OH, but I threw away the box so don't have any other info. It was not made in the USA.

Lehman's has always been very friendly and helpful and I would certainly not hesitate to call them for info.

[hijack]

Lucky me I get to go to Lehman's again this weekend. Woo hoo! Last time I was there I got to see an interesting (well, to me anyway) sight: a young Amish (maybe Mennonite) young man driving his horse drawn carriage while drinking a Mountain Dew...for some reason that really tickled me.

[/hijack]

Edited by Darcie B (log)

Zassenhaus makes a hand coffee grinder, but they appear to be out of stock right now. Sweet Maria's sells them in the US but are also sold out as of April 12th, although they are expecting more.

Zassenhaus makes a hand coffee grinder, but they appear to be out of stock right now. Sweet Maria's sells them in the US but are also sold out as of April 12th, although they are expecting more.

Penzey's Spices also carries them, though we are talking more about retail than manufacturer-direct in this thread. But maybe you can find a trail and follow it.

The meat grinder I bought ~ 10 years ago is made in Poland by "Alfa 10". It is described as "double tinned".

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"