• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Not Celebrating Mother's Day

menton1

Unlike most of the world, we are not celebrating Mother's day this Sunday. We wil, however, be in Philadelphia and in need of a good restaurant for dinner.

Any suggestions for a restaurant that will not have a special menu, and will not be swamped and/or overbooked for Sunday? I know that's a daunting question, but I was hoping someone would have some ideas. (And no, Boston Market is out! :biggrin: )

Anyone been to either Mendellhall Inn or The Gables at Chadds Ford and have an opinion on brunch? My aunt is deciding between the two and I'd love to actually have a decent meal. Thanks!

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Mother's Day is more of a brunch holiday than a dinner holiday. I think you will be surprised how "unswamped" many of the good restaurants will be. Sunday evening is typically a very good night to dine out. It is almost always more pleasant than Saturday night (a.k.a. amateur night).

I think you'll do OK, but give us some more clues, what do you mean by "good restaurant"?  How fancy?  How weird?  How expensive?

OK, A couple of the rstaurants I like in Philly include Fork, and Astral Plane. Something along those lines. Thanks.

A couple of the rstaurants I like in Philly include Fork, and Astral Plane.  Something along those lines.  Thanks.

A couple of the vaguely "New American" places I wanted to recommend to you (Mandoline, Matyson, etc.) are closed on Sundays, but what about Bistro 7 in Old City? I've never been, but have heard good things about it, and the food seems to be reminiscent of Fork, from my quick glance at LaBan's review.

For something slightly different, but definitely worth a try, perhaps Amada, or Ansill. Both killer small plates and good wines/beers/cocktails, and both open for dinner on Sunday.

Caribou Cafe is also open for dinner on Sundays and people seemed to love the recent DDC dinner there.

Note: I bet reservations anywhere are going to be a must on Sunday night -- I agree that Mother's Day is more of a brunch holiday, but Penn's graduation is Monday, May 15, so hordes of parents and other folk are going to be in town this weekend.

Edited by Diann (log)

Note: I bet reservations anywhere are going to be a must on Sunday night -- I agree that Mother's Day is more of a brunch holiday, but Penn's graduation is Monday, May 15, so hordes of parents and other folk are going to be in town this weekend.

ouch, yeah--this is going to be more trouble than the mother's day aspect, i bet.

With the Penn graduation, just stay out of west Philly, stay away from Steven Starr restaurants, avoid any place overtly charming, and the swanky standards. But there are still plenty of good places that would likely be able to fit you in.

Both Amada and Ansill, mentioned upthread, have food that's at least as well-made and interesting as the examples you gave, but in a more small-plate style.

You could try Django, it could be mobbed on that day, but it's always worth checking. I had an excellent meal there recently.

On the more casual end, there's some great ethnic food to be had in Philly, some of it hard to find elsewhere, and there'd be little chance of too much of a crowd on mother's day. Consider the Burmese restaurant Rangoon, or any of the sudden blossoming of spicy Chinese spots in Chinatown: Szechuan Tasty House, Chung King Garden or Four Rivers. Or we've got good Mexican places now, from basic and homey to nouveau.

Normally I'd suggest taking a shot at some of the small BYOBs that don't take reservations, like Melograno, but it might be a tough day for that...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com