• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Miami Flora and Fauna... Where to buy

I am new to the Miami area and and in need of suggestions of a good fishmonger, butcher and market. I am looking forward to exploring as soon as work stops interfering with food but I would love some good starting points.

I am new to the Miami area and and in need of suggestions of a good fishmonger, butcher and market.  I am looking forward to exploring as soon as work stops interfering with food but I would love some good starting points.

Where in Miami do you live? It's a big place! Robyn

I moved from Miami (Coconut Grove) about 10 years ago - but I stay in touch with people there. If my information is out of date - I hope others will correct me.

Our "workhorse" for a general supermarket was Publix. There is one right near Brickell - another on 27th Avenue - and many elsewhere. But I always liked the one way down south around 136th Street and Dixie Highway. Bigger - newer - cleaner. Would make a run there every 10 days or 2 weeks or so.

In terms of a more gourmet market - I always liked Scotty's in Coconut Grove. It has since been bought by and is named Gardner's. Can't speak for it now. Another gourmet market is Epicure on Miami Beach. Try both and see which you like best. Both were (are?) very good for meat - sometimes fish.

If you have some time to kill - some of the best fish you can get is off the charter boats when they come into the Key Biscayne marina.

A special treat in Miami is Laurenzo's Italian market in North Miami Beach. Fresh pasta - sauces - other home made goodies in addition to a large selection of all manner of Italian groceries (it's a really big place). Well worth a trip every couple of weeks if you like Italian groceries.

One place we liked to eat at on Brickell - and do takeout from - was Deli Lane. No big deal - but always fresh and tasty.

I'm sure that more has popped up in Miami since we left (Whole Foods is there now - but the closest is currently in Aventura - an awful drive from Brickell - 2 more are supposed to open closer to you soon). Robyn

Yeah, you'll be surprised and disappointed at how difficult it is to get good seafood im Miami. The ubiquitous yellowtail snapper and grouper are everywhere, but beyond that it's touch and go, especially at Publix (where it's easier to find salmon than grouper). There are some markets on N. River Drive, particularly Casablanca. It's chaotic at best, but you pick your own fish and they'll gut and clean it for you. Make sure you leave a tip to hear the "Gracias, Thank You!" from the staff.

Other places to go for non-supermarket specialty items include the aforementioned Epicure on the beach and Laurenzo's. There's also Wild Oats in South Beach and, if you're in the need for a great cheese selection, Whole Foods in Aventura. There's also a good Publix about halfway between Brickell and Whole Foods (wide aisles, big produce section) just north of Costco. In the same shopping center there's Paul bakery. It's a French chain but the breads and desserts are really, really good.

Brickell is a great neighborhood. You've got a lot of construction going on but there will be many places to walk to when all is done.

Thank you. I must say that I have been rather shocked at the lack of seafood.

It is difficult to find fresh local seafood everywhere in Florida - including Miami. Not only at markets but in restaurants too. Last summer I got so desparate I tried to catch my own pompano at the local pier. Other people got pompano - but all I got was a hammerhead shark :sad: .

The only consolation here in northeast Florida is we have a local shrimp fleet out of Mayport - so fresh local shrimp are plentiful, good and relatively inexpensive in season. Robyn

Thank you. I must say that I have been rather shocked at the lack of seafood.

A lot of it gets shipped to other regions, like up north.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

My favorites (I live in N Miami)

Fishmonger - Captain Jim's - have bought all kinds of seafood here, including sushi-grade tuna. Also has a very good restaurant. Closed on Sundays. Always very fresh and lots of selections. Cheapest stone crabs in Miami, as good as they are anywhere else. Located on W Dixie Hwy around NE 135th St.

Specialty

Laurenzo's Italian Market - W Dixie Hwy and NE 163rd St - excellent Italian selections, great wines, olive oils, good meat, very nice farmer's market across the street

Le Estancia Argentina - very good meat - there is one on US1 in N Miami and one in Coral Gables

Produce

I usually buy this at Laurenzo's or Whole Foods (around NE 205th St) or The Fresh Market (around NE 170-180th on US1)

Meat

The best I've had is from Whole Foods or the Fresh Market - I can usually get whatever specialty thing I want from there. La Estancia Argentina and Laurenzo's also have very good selections. There are some good kosher butchers in the area according to my friends, but I haven't tried them.

Cheese

I like Whole Foods cheese selection. There is supposedly an excellent cheese shop on US 1 around NE 70-80th (recommended to me by an Italian), but I never have looked it up or gone. She said they have the best buffalo mozzarella around. Laurenzo's also has some very good cheeses, lots of fresh fetas and mozzarellas.

"God give us good taste, why bother?" Captain Jim's Sushi Chef