• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spuds a'Plenty

FabulousFoodBabe

For reasons I'm not quite sure I want to share here, I now have twenty pounds of russet potatoes. I have to find something to do with them so that they don't go nasty on me.

As luck would have it, the first of our kitchen's going-away parties is this weekend; dinner guests were going to have lovely tiny new potatoes, but will now get some manner of russets (au gratin, probably). I have some ideas about what to do with the rest of them, but would like to hear what any eGers have done, or would suggest.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

A great casual party idea is a baked potato party. Potatoes stay warm in the oven for people coming and going. Toppings can include:

-Homemade chili (which people can eat in larger quantity)

-sour cream

-tortilla chips

-sliced olives

-cheese (blue, parmesan, neuchatel and cheddar)

-capers

-turkey bacon crumbles

-chopped chicken or steak

-french fried onions

-caramelized onion

-roasted garlic

-roasted red pepper

-scallion

-steamed broccoli

-mustard

-aioli

-fresh chopped herbs

etc....

Leftover baked potatoes can make great hash browns the next day too!

If your au gratin potato recipe isn't on Recipe Gullet, would you mind sharing? Please? :rolleyes:

If your au gratin potato recipe isn't on Recipe Gullet, would you mind sharing?  Please? :rolleyes:

Hmmm, you're rolling your eyes :unsure: Do you really want it? It'll be scaled weird and honestly, I cook according to formula versus recipe, and adjust as I see fit.

Saturday's dinner party is casual, with fancy food. the more I think about these russets, the more annoyed they are making me. I can't do au gratins! What the hell was I thinking? Not with the first course I have planned ....

Anyway, no baked-potato parties can happen any time soon here, even if I was so inclined. My oven is practically easy-bake size, and I won't have enough time to do pommes anna.

They really are kind of attractive for potatoes. Maybe instead of the potted herbs I was going to give the guests, I'll dress each little potato up like a member of the Senate. Or, I can make potato battery gifts for my friends, or just leave them on someone's front porch, during a midnight ding'n'dash.

If your au gratin potato recipe isn't on Recipe Gullet, would you mind sharing?  Please? :rolleyes:

Hmmm, you're rolling your eyes :unsure: Do you really want it? It'll be scaled weird and honestly, I cook according to formula versus recipe, and adjust as I see fit.

Saturday's dinner party is casual, with fancy food. the more I think about these russets, the more annoyed they are making me. I can't do au gratins! What the hell was I thinking? Not with the first course I have planned ....

Anyway, no baked-potato parties can happen any time soon here, even if I was so inclined. My oven is practically easy-bake size, and I won't have enough time to do pommes anna.

They really are kind of attractive for potatoes. Maybe instead of the potted herbs I was going to give the guests, I'll dress each little potato up like a member of the Senate. Or, I can make potato battery gifts for my friends, or just leave them on someone's front porch, during a midnight ding'n'dash.

How about potato chips?

Ahhh, a very good idea -- very. Worth pulling the madeleine pan from storage, even.

And calipou, the chips are a good one, too. I wish I had one of those Big Green Eggs for my deck so I could load it with peanut oil and fry for a few hours. Mmmm ... Saratoga chips with barbecue sauce on them. Or chips with blue cheese. Or just chips.

Hmmm, you're rolling your eyes

I didn't mean to roll my eyes- I was looking towards heaven (my clasped hands are out of view :biggrin: )

No exact recipe needed- general method will suffice. Promise I won't say it was your recipe if I change it in a million ways.

Hope the party goes well- potato chips sound mighty tasty....

Make deviled taters!

Roast halved potatoes. Cool, remove part of the center, similar to removing the yolk from a halved egg.

Use the removed potatoes to make a zingy potato salad that you will then load back into the potato skins.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

hash browns

rosti

potato gratin

potato croquettes

french fries

potato chips

mashed and gravy

shepherd's pie

roasted potatoes with garlic

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Thanks for all the suggestions -- I'm wishing I had a real ventilation system instead of my wimpy downdraft; the thought of frying in this house and the resulting "oily air" is making me very sad. It would work for a bit, but not long.

Which of these suggestions keep/hold/freeze the best?

I'm presently separated from my cookbooks, but one of them, The Best of the Best - has a recipe from Daniel Boulud - his potato gratin forestier. It was selected as "the best recipe" of that year, and each time I've made it, it's been spectacular.

I didn't recommend it before because I think of it as a cool weather dish - but here we are, with cool weather. If you've got access to fresh wild mushrooms, it's very good - and very easy.

I'm presently separated from my cookbooks, but one of them, The Best of the Best - has a recipe from Daniel Boulud - his potato gratin forestier.  It was selected as "the best recipe" of that year, and each time I've made it, it's been spectacular.

I didn't recommend it before because I think of it as a cool weather dish - but here we are, with cool weather.  If you've got access to fresh wild mushrooms, it's very good - and very easy.

mmmmm. Daniel Boulud.

Seriously, I like it. I wound up doing mashed/chunked potatoes with buttermilk and black truffle butter for Saturday night, and that took care of half of the potatoes. Even though they've been under cover for a week, a few are starting to go green on me. My plan: Do some twice-baked (thank YOU, Mr. Perlow), stuff with the leftovers from Saturday, and freeze them. Next will be some sort of gratin, and I'll reserve some for milling and adding to bread or gnocchi.

If this kitchen had better ventilation, or if we could have done the party outside, I would have done chips. Maybe I still will tonight. Hmmmm.

Shame I can't use them for the sushi class I'm teaching tonight!