• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good basic book on charcoal grilling?

JaclynM

I'm getting married in July, and since my fiance has a nice wooden deck on the back of his house, we've been thinking about getting an outdoor grill. Based on what I've read on these boards about the pros and cons of gas vs. charcoal, I think I'd like to use a charcoal grill. But I've never done any grilling before - I've only watched my mom do some grilling, and hers is gas. Can anyone recommend a book that covers all the basics - choosing charcoal, lighting it, cooking techniques, cleanup, etc.? I'd like to have some more information about what I'm getting into, if we should decide to get a charcoal grill.

Hmm... there have been a lot of questions about this lately.

Is there an eGCI course on grilling in the works?

There is a Virtual Weber site on the web, just type "virtual weber" in your favorite search engine, and that site should come up. That should be a reasonable first help.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I'm a big fan of the Cooks Illustrated Guide to Grilling & BBQ. Excellent cross-section of cooking styles, and it focusses on charcoal (although there are optional gas-related tips). You just have to forego the glossy pictures of the Weber book (which I also have).

A.