• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

7Up - Now 100% Natural (merged topic)

Toliver

7Up has been reformulated and is now being touted as 100% Natural.

7Up website. Warning! The site is all Flash so dial up web surfers may want to avoid this web site.

The new list of ingredients:

Filtered carbonated water, high frustose corn syrup (:angry:) , natural citric acid, natural flavors, natural potassium citrate.

They cheated a little since "natural flavors" means more than one flavor ingredient so it's not completely accurate to say it's just 5 ingredients.

Has anyone tasted the new 7Up and is it any better than the previous versions?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Um, since when is High Fructose Corn Syrup natural?

I've not tried the new 7UP, I don't drink much soda at all because I object to the HFCS. Its an interesting ploy, I wonder how it compares to Hansen's sodas.

I've not tried the new 7UP, I don't drink much soda at all because I object to the HFCS.  Its an interesting ploy, I wonder how it compares to Hansen's sodas.

Er, what are/is HFCS? :unsure:

the tall drink of water...

I've not tried the new 7UP, I don't drink much soda at all because I object to the HFCS.  Its an interesting ploy, I wonder how it compares to Hansen's sodas.

Er, what are/is HFCS? :unsure:

High Fructose Corn Syrup which can be found in almost every prepared food on a grocery shelf.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Yeah...HFCs are definitely NOT natural. 7-Up should be sued, because people who don't know any better will be drinking it on purpose because they feel it's good for them...or BETTER for them than say, Sprite...when in reality they're the same thing. R.W. Knudsen makes an awesome all natural soda -

http://www.knudsenjuices.com/products/cate...2&categoryID=58

I buy the Light Spritzers, which are nice when watching calories.

-Michelle

"He was a very valiant man who first adventured on eating oysters." - King James I

I just saw this commercial about 5 minutes ago and my brain is still processing this new information. How in the hell can you make 7 up 100% natural?

All I ask for is for them to use cane sugar and not corn syrup. using cane sugar in soda makes a world of a difference

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Ok, confession time. Two products I never want to see changed... 7-up and Tropicana. Low brow, sure. But don't mess with those two, please. The new 7-up is depressing.... I want all-not-natural old 7-up... I am a junkie just like some people who drink diet cokes all day.

there, now I feel better.

Why not? HFCS comes from corn. Corn is natural. What makes something unnatural? The generally accepted definition seems to be that it comes from something that is not conventionally thought of as food such as artifical vanilla.

PS: I am a guy.

Why not? HFCS comes from corn. Corn is natural. What makes something unnatural? The generally accepted definition seems to be that it comes from something that is not conventionally thought of as food such as artifical vanilla.

I don't know where we draw the line between natural and unnatural. Personally, I think that once you take corn, genetically modify it and then process it with bacteria, fungus, and genetically-modified enzymes and turn it into a sweetener that the body doesn't recognize the same as sugar, it's no longer natural. Yet, technically chemicals have not been used in the process so maybe it is natural.

But by that reasoning, if Keloggs took the dyes out of Froot Loops they would be considered 100% natural and I'm not sure if I would want to put Froot Loops in the same category as an apple. Of course, so many of our foods are processed and have additives the line could be drawn so that almost nothing is considered natural.

I won't pretend to know where to draw the line. I personally avoid high fructose corn syrup as much as possible, but know many others think of it as an enjoyable and natural ingredient.

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry

• 1 month later...

I've been scratching my head over this one, too--seems like an oxymoron.

unfortunately there is no definition of what "natural" means--the FDA doesn't regulate the term--the way they regulate "organic"

so a manufacturer is free to call anything natural--they can write up the blurb justifying the term, and most people won't question it.

I have a small soap and toiletries business and I define natural as being as close to as found in nature as possible--but others clearly don't.

I'd call HFCS as close to natural as polyester--after all oil is natural when in the ground, isn't it?

You know..... Belladonna is natural. Botulinum toxin is natural.

Just because its natural does not mean its healthy :hmmm:

Its hard to know where to draw the line between natural and not.. is it the degree of processing? How its processed? I don't know, but it never ceases to amaze me the lengths that companies will go to promote their products.

What about high fructose corn syrup is unnatural?

Is it chemically modified to increase the fructose content?

Fructose is a sugar the body recognizes just fine.

To get sugar from cane or beets requires extensive processing. Ditto to get syrup from corn.

What am I not getting here in this "natural" debate?

(yes, sugar in soda tastes better. Thats not my Q).

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

What about high fructose corn syrup is unnatural?

Is it chemically modified to increase the fructose content?

Fructose is a sugar the body recognizes just fine.

To get sugar from cane or beets requires extensive processing. Ditto to get syrup from corn.

What am I not getting here in this "natural" debate?

(yes, sugar in soda tastes better. Thats not my Q).

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA