• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eleven Madison Park

donbert

Would you consider writing a letter to Danny Meyer?  Considering he is all about hospitality and whatnot maybe this might be a chance for you to voice your opinion and express your disappointment?  I'm sorry to hear that happened to you.

no. then I just look like I want a coupon or meal.

it's not like it can be remedied.

Would you consider writing a letter to Danny Meyer?  Considering he is all about hospitality and whatnot maybe this might be a chance for you to voice your opinion and express your disappointment?  I'm sorry to hear that happened to you.

Not in the past tense, you're right. But, if you are such a believer in Humm's food, then certainly, it may flag the issue for reconsideration by the Meyer party. Would you return if the restaurant reverted to its former policy?

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Not in the past tense, you're right. But, if you are such a believer in Humm's food, then certainly, it may flag the issue for reconsideration by the Meyer party. Would you return if the restaurant reverted to its former policy?

u.e.

which policy? I'm not stunned by the tasting menu policy change.

It's the refusal to serve me at all that can't be remedied.

If restaurants like EMP had the opportunity to profit from customers ordering off the regular menu at the bar they would. The problem is in most cases it interrupts the dynamics and flow of the kitchen and FOH. That is why most choose to have a bar menu that can be produced with minimum effort.

I am sure chef Humm has a pretty good idea of at what point quality control will suffer from a over stressed kitchen. It may not seem like much but at times the difference between a successful service and chaos can be only ten people.

Robert R

Not in the past tense, you're right.  But, if you are such a believer in Humm's food, then certainly, it may flag the issue for reconsideration by the Meyer party.  Would you return if the restaurant reverted to its former policy? 

u.e.

which policy? I'm not stunned by the tasting menu policy change.

It's the refusal to serve me at all that can't be remedied.

I went back and re-read your initial posting. This is my mistake. I thought the policy was no food at the bar ever. I see now that they refused food service (tasting aside) at the bar because of the "holiday."

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

If restaurants like EMP had the opportunity to profit from customers ordering off the regular menu at the bar they would. The problem is in most cases it interrupts the dynamics and flow of the kitchen and FOH. That is why most choose to have a bar menu that can be produced with minimum effort.

I am sure chef Humm has a pretty good idea of at what point quality control will suffer from a over stressed kitchen. It may not seem like much but at times the difference between a successful service and chaos can be only ten people.

EMP still offers food at the bar. Just not last night. And that's the problem. If it were their normal policy it would be different.

they refused to serve me any food whatsoever.

that's inexcusable.

So? Their tables were all taken, and on that occasion they weren't serving bar food. It's the same at Per Se, except they do it every night. What's inexcusable about that?

I mean, it's nice to know that, on most evenings, you can walk into EMP without a reservation and be served. That doesn't mean they are obligated to provide this option every day, or indeed, on any day.

that's inexcusable.

So? Their tables were all taken, and on that occasion they weren't serving bar food. It's the same at Per Se, except they do it every night. What's inexcusable about that?

I mean, it's nice to know that, on most evenings, you can walk into EMP without a reservation and be served. That doesn't mean they are obligated to provide this option every day, or indeed, on any day.

I have no problem with a restaurant that doesn't serve at the bar at all. But that's not EMP. They choose to serve solo diners any day except for hallmark holidays. That's discriminatory and inexcusable. Furthermore, the famous Danny Meyer customer service made no attempt whatsoever to suggest a solution. He just doesn't want my business.

Last time I checked, restaurants are supposed to be in the customer service business, especially Danny Meyer restaurants. Apparently that doesn't apply on days of revenue maximization.

Edited by Nathan (log)

Bottom line is they determined eating at the bar would pose problems. It makes sense. Turnover is much greater on Vday ie pressure on the kitchen. Plus you (and potentially others) might have obstructed the trickle down from the bar to the tables. They didn't want to chance it.......that's all.........nothing personal.

Did I ask why you didn't call first? oh yea, I did.

That wasn't chicken

The trouble is, Valentine's Day and New Year's Eve suck. Restaurants are keyed for onslaughts (and looking to exploit it), and there's nothing you can do about it.

If they set an advance policy of suspending food service at the bar last night, what is there to complain about? (I mean, it's not like they looked at you and decided not to serve YOU in particular.) Since they were expecting a hyper-full house, it's easy to see why they would have formulated such a policy. Obviously, I don't like it. But, as I said, Valentine's Day sucks.

Bottom line is they determined eating at the bar would pose problems.  It makes sense.  Turnover is much greater on Vday ie pressure on the kitchen.  Plus you (and potentially others) might have obstructed the trickle down from the bar to the tables.  They didn't want to chance it.......that's all.........nothing personal.

Did I ask why you didn't call first? oh yea, I did.

You're right I didn't call and ask "Say, I know you're a Danny Meyer restaurant and all but he doesn't like morph into Jeffrey Chodorow just for the day does he? You're not going to refuse to serve me cause I'm like a loser, right?"

As for your first point, it's clear that you're unfamiliar with the layout of EMP. I also highly doubt that their turnover was any greater than a normal friday or saturday. in fact, it would have been less (more tasting menus....longer meals).

oh, and the bar was half empty (as it always is)

The trouble is, Valentine's Day and New Year's Eve suck.  Restaurants are keyed for onslaughts (and looking to exploit it), and there's nothing you can do about it.

If they set an advance policy of suspending food service at the bar last night, what is there to complain about?  (I mean, it's not like they looked at you and decided not to serve YOU in particular.)  Since they were expecting a hyper-full house, it's easy to see why they would have formulated such a policy.  Obviously, I don't like it.  But, as I said, Valentine's Day sucks.

you really think they do more covers than Friday or Saturday night?

I doubt it. longer meals last night. probably no one trying to dine after nine.

and I'm not even mentioning the weather factor.

I know they were offering a special holiday menu '175.00' last night which is fairly common on busy holidays. I am not sure though if it was the only option or if pre fix was also a option.

Regardless its still a bummer as I was looking forward to your report.

Robert R

Then why not write to the NY Times, NY magazine or even Gothamist? I am merely suggesting this as an avenue for you to express your opinion and mistreatment. I hope there's some resolution for you.

that's inexcusable.

I have no problem with a restaurant that doesn't serve at the bar at all. But that's not EMP. They choose to serve solo diners any day except for hallmark holidays. That's discriminatory and inexcusable. Furthermore, the famous Danny Meyer customer service made no attempt whatsoever to suggest a solution. He just doesn't want my business.

Last time I checked, restaurants are supposed to be in the customer service business, especially Danny Meyer restaurants. Apparently that doesn't apply on days of revenue maximization.

The Danny Meyer customer service phenomenon has been blown way out of proportion by the press and has been in decline for a number of years. I continually ask myself why I go back to his restaurants. I had a stretch of 5 or 6 instances in a row of inexcusable service - a sexual innuendo from a waiter to my date at Blue Smoke, an uncomfortable instance with a service dog and another guest at 11EMP, incorrect entrees where we were meant to feel as if it was our fault at The Modern, unanswered correspondence from corporate, etc... Yet, I continue to return. I had a lovely meal last month at Tabla. I guess I am a sucker for punishment.

The trouble is, Valentine's Day and New Year's Eve suck.  Restaurants are keyed for onslaughts (and looking to exploit it), and there's nothing you can do about it.

If they set an advance policy of suspending food service at the bar last night, what is there to complain about?  (I mean, it's not like they looked at you and decided not to serve YOU in particular.)  Since they were expecting a hyper-full house, it's easy to see why they would have formulated such a policy.  Obviously, I don't like it.  But, as I said, Valentine's Day sucks.

you really think they do more covers than Friday or Saturday night?

I doubt it. longer meals last night. probably no one trying to dine after nine.

and I'm not even mentioning the weather factor.

to amplify this....the point of V-day and NYE menus is to maximize revenue per cover....which necessarily decreases the number of covers....

Out of every possible reason why they did this, I'd have to say I think that discrimination against solo diners on Valentine's Day is one of the least likely.

clearly discriminatory in effect.

Not against any kind of identifiable "suspect classification". (Come on, just about EVERY decision is "discriminatory in effect". The issue is whether improper discrimination is going on.)

I can't believe they did this to keep single diners out of everyone's sight that night. The idea strikes me as ridiculous.

I'm sure they wanted to (a) free up the bar and (b) make the exact number of covers they were doing calculable in advance. Stuff like that.

But really, they're free to suspend food service at the bar whenever they want.

Am I supposed to boycott Blaue Gans because, one night during the week before Christmas, they were closed for a private party when I showed up really late and really hungry? Were they discriminating against me as someone who wasn't invited to the party?

1. of course it's not a legal issue.

2. have you ever known the bar at EMP to be packed? on any night? I haven't. and it certainly wasn't last night.

3. it probably was about the exact amount of covers. a. of course, with the weather I'm sure they had cancellations. (and that was forseeable three days in advance). b. one diner doesn't throw that off. c. they made no effort whatsoever to accomodate me. that really grates.