• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eleven Madison Park

donbert

Well, yeah, you're right, if the portions on the three-course prix fixe aren't much bigger than the portions on the tasting menus, that would be a problem.

And that's exactly what I meant when I said the prix fixe just felt like a shorter tasting menu. I didn't necessarily come away hungry from either of our meals at EMP - the issue has more to do with expectations. When I order a multicourse tasting menu I expect it to be a trade-off between breadth and depth - I get to sample a larger number of ingredients and preparations and flavor combinations in exchange for reduced portion sizes and/or less complex platings. EMP's Aquatic tasting menu exceeded my expectations for this type of meal.

On the flipside, I expect a prix fixe menu to deliver a deeper impression of each dish through larger portion sizes that give you an opportunity to really explore the interplay between the elements on the plate (and in many cases the plate may even include some additional components not offered on its tasting menu counterpart), and that's where the prix fixe menu at EMP left me feeling a bit frustrated.

I'm going tonight for my birthday dinner! 24 baybeeeeee!!!!!!!!! I figured this was the perfect non-perse restaurant for celebrating (actually it's supposed to be a surprise but somehow I found out) It' s a good call though...

Which tasting menu to have??? :biggrin: aah the choices :biggrin:

I'm stoked.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I'm going tonight for my birthday dinner! 24 baybeeeeee!!!!!!!!! I figured this was the perfect non-perse restaurant for celebrating (actually it's supposed to be a surprise but somehow I found out) It' s a good call though...

Which tasting menu to have???  :biggrin: aah the choices  :biggrin:

I'm stoked.

Happy Birthday!!! Excellent choice by your sponsor.

Aquatic or Summer, but avoid the 3-course PF.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I dined at Eleven Madison Park last night and was really floored by the experience. The g/f and I kind of planned this meal on a whim, having heard on the raves here on eG. Add to this the fact that we had two $24.07 coupons from Restaurant Week, how could we resist?

The staff's courteousness has always been notable, but last night they were especially accomodating. As I mentioned, this meal was kind of planned last minute, as an addition to the g/f's birthday festivities. The staff noted this occasion graciously by giving us personalized menus and repeatedly wishing her a happy birthday. I thought this was almost over-the-top, but she ate it up and had a great time.

This, however, brings me to a comment Sneakeater mentioned about the service and space not quite matching the now-amazing food. While I love the EMP room and the personable service, there appears to be a slight disconnect between the superlative elegance of much of the food and the nearly casual amiableness (that is a real word, I checked) of the staff. Our captain was great, funny, cute, very friendly, and able to relate to us from our shared young but food-passionate perspecitve, but for those looking for a haute dining experience, EMP falls just short. Sneakeater mentioned that Chef Humm's food deserves a jewel-like setting, and I wholeheartedly agree.

Although the Summer tasting menu has had its praises sung many times over, I can't help but endorse it further. From the assortment of canapes to the Four Story Hill Farm veal, each savory course was more or less excellent/awesome. I did feel the cheese and dessert courses weren't quite up to the level of the savory courses, but I have no real complaints besides the fact that the cheese course was a little large and one-dimensional and the noveau-Nutella chocolate-hazelnut dessert combination has become a bit trite in the past months (kind of like the Concord grapes of last summer).

The progression of the meal was as follows:

Assorted Canapes

Amuse 1: Seafood Ragu w/ Carrot Broth

Amuse 2: Heirloom Tomato and Watermelon Salad

Fantasy of Eggs

Hudson Valley Foie Gras

Turbot

Scottish Langousine

Cote de Veau

Fromage

Dessert Amuse: Cherry Ice Cream with Cherry Gelee

Chocolate-Hazelnut

Mignardises

A couple minor service flaws included an instance where a napkin wasn't re-folded when the g/f got up from the table. This is most likely a result of the layout of the room and the restaurant's size which prevent the restaurant from providing the most intimate of service experiences. We tested them again (because we're cool like that) and they passed with flying colors. Also, the actual presentation of the dishes on the table (ie. the runners setting the food down) was a bit casual in execution. Finally, they forgot to give us bread and had to be reminded to do so. Obviously, these faults are very, very minor and in NO way hampered the actual enjoyment of the meal.

So yeah, this place is pretty awesome now. From a pure food standpoint it pretty much trounces comprably priced tasting menus at Aquavit, Cru, Urena, and possibly even Daniel and J-G. This meal was supposed to be a warm-up for another birthday meal at Gilt next week, but I'm almost afraid the opener will surpass the supposed main event.

Our menu was pretty much the same that Bryan received with some modifications. All of the dishes were home runs with the exception of the turbot and the foie (both were undersalted). The desserts were enjoyable, though not terribly original. I'd have to say my favorite dish was the egg. It was hollowed out and filled with the yolk, osetra caviar, fresh uni, cauliflower puree, and a topped with a lobster-uni emulsion. Probably the most intense three bites I've ever had. You could have ended the meal there, and I would have been a happy guy.

I have to agree with Bryan, there aren't really any restaurants that can compete with EMP at this price point since the arrival of Daniel Humm. The only food that I've had recently that even comes close is Scott Bryan's food at Veritas.

Can't wait to go back.

Nothing to see here.

The more I eat out I'm finding that the salting of a dish is pretty much entirely dependent on the cook, who is in turn influenced by a wide variety of nearly random factors. One of the things I was most impressed with was the assertive salting of the dishes last night. And as I've stated repeatedly, I love salt with a passion.

A couple minor service flaws included an instance where a napkin wasn't re-folded when the g/f got up from the table. 

Well, I never....

There is no way I will ever return to EMP again. How could they possibly not re-fold a napkin?? Simply heresy.

When I was there they re-folded my napkin while I was at the table. A waiter walked by, swooshed it from my lap, re-folded and placed it on the table. Every restaurant should re-fold napkins at least seven times during dinner, whether the person is sitting at the table or not.

I think Im going to start an organized boycott until every napkin is folded several times in several types of "knots."

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

11 Mad Park has the making of a true great restaurant both in food and service. I had dinner at 11 Mad with two of my former interns tonight, and had several high maintenance requests:

1. the two kids are below drinking age in NY State

2. I promised to visit a vegetarian friend in the hospital after dinner and wanted to bring her some food.

Here is how 11 Mad Park rise to the challenge:

We sat down to a quartet of amuse that made impressive introductions to the meal to come. A flavorful seafood soup followed its heels that further teased the palate. The foie gras appetizer was truly amazing, and the sashimi trio was absolutely lovely. There was a delightful crab salad as well that defined the word "delicious". Entrees were a lovely salmon that made my dining companion cooing in ecstasy, and a lamb chop that was gobbled up in a few seconds. For my part, the loup de mer was beautifully sweet and intricately exceptional. As for desserts, Nicole Kaplan out did herself. Every time I eat her desserts, i am impressed with her creations. I had the incredibly fun strawberries macaroon with ice cream and pop rocks. It made me feel like a kid again. Across from me, my two dining companions were devouring a cherry dessert and a chocolate mousse. And, there was a chocolate souffle that can compete with good sex.

The staff actually came up with non-alcoholic drinks to pair with the meal. And, they boxed up a salad of heirloom tomatos and watermelon, and a gnocchi with squash blossoms and olives to go. They even gave me some bread to take away.

I could not be more impressed with the caliber of food and service. And, the staff's willingness to accomodate blew me over..

ps. My sick friend made everyone in her ward jealous when she opened her two boxes of dinner. It liven her spirit considerably and for that I have 11 Mad park to thank.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Well, I never....

There is no way I will ever return to EMP again. How could they possibly not re-fold a napkin?? Simply heresy.

When I was there they re-folded my napkin while I was at the table. A waiter walked by, swooshed it from my lap, re-folded and placed it on the table. Every restaurant should re-fold napkins at least seven times during dinner, whether the person is sitting at the table or not.

I think Im going to start an organized boycott until every napkin is folded several times in several types of "knots."

Yeah, we were thinking of walking out at that juncture in the meal.

I'm suddenly reminded of the dirty fork sketch from Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Edited by iheartoffal (log)

Nothing to see here.

Well as Bryan stated a minor flaw. Minor yes but worth mentioning neverless.

Because let's face it. Those very little attention to details is what separates the good from the best.

There's an easy solution to the napkin folding issue - don't use the napkin. Just leave it folded and use a sleeve - yours or anyone that's available at the time.

Sorry - I wouldn't notice if someone ever re-folded my napkin or not. I'm there to enjoy the food, not to worry about "Emily Postisms." Sometimes, in my opinion, we get caught up in this service issue to an "unhealthy" degree.

If we're there to notice if napkins are re-folded, if water glasses are filled every 2.7 seconds, if the servers' hair is mussed, if they fail to wipe our reading glasses when a smudge appears, if they leave a crumb on the table after the required vacuuming ritual, if they don't click their heels and bow when asked a question - then we're missing an important element of the restaurant experience - it's the food, damn it - the food!!!!

PS - I don't want anyone cleaning my crumbs before I leave the restaurant - they're my crumbs and I want them!!!!

Rich Schulhoff

Well as Bryan stated a minor flaw. Minor yes but worth mentioning neverless.

Because let's face it. Those very little attention to details is what separates the good from the best.

There's an easy solution to the napkin folding issue - don't use the napkin. Just leave it folded and use a sleeve - yours or anyone that's available at the time.

Sorry - I wouldn't notice if someone ever re-folded my napkin or not. I'm there to enjoy the food, not to worry about "Emily Postisms." Sometimes, in my opinion, we get caught up in this service issue to an "unhealthy" degree.

If we're there to notice if napkins are re-folded, if water glasses are filled every 2.7 seconds, if the servers' hair is mussed, if they fail to wipe our reading glasses when a smudge appears, if they leave a crumb on the table after the required vacuuming ritual, if they don't click their heels and bow when asked a question - then we're missing an important element of the restaurant experience - it's the food, damn it - the food!!!!

PS - I don't want anyone cleaning my crumbs before I leave the restaurant - they're my crumbs and I want them!!!!

Personally and for the recond I feel the same way. But in a business sense any restaurant trying to pull away from the pack would be wise to examine even the small details. There is a broad customer base out there and they all look at the experience through different eyes. For some the food is even secondary. :laugh:

Actually that small napkin folding ritual leaves a lasting impression in many diner's minds. Especially those who only visit high end restaurants on special occasions.

Wow.. Went to such and such last night for our anniversary and would you believe the even folded my napkin before I returned to the table.

Bet I read it countless times on this site.

I think a prime example of details is in Bond Girls post above. They could have very easily said. 'Sorry we are not equipped to serve a order to go'. But when thrown that curve ball out of the norm they handled it and left a lasting memory in a customer's mind.

Edited by robert40 (log)

Robert R

At top restaurants great food should be a given. Of course, if the food is not great the rest of the discussion is moot. However, if it is great, it is the little (and large) points of service that do or don't raise the restaurant to the next and highest echelons.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

At top restaurants great food should be a given. Of course, if the food is not great the rest of the discussion is moot. However, if it is great, it is the little (and large) points of service that do or don't raise the restaurant to the next and highest echelons.

A lot has been written on this thread about the service and room at EMP. I've dined there a few times and I think both are of the highest level necessary for a top restaurant experience.

My point is folding a napkin or anything of that nature would not heighten my dining experience, not would not doing it detract. We get caught up in the service sometimes and miss the food elements.

While I realize it's just an opinion, I don't need or want to be pampered. I just want the best example of what the chef has to offer. Hell, they could even toss the napkin over my shoulder for all that it matters to me.

PS - the intriguing part of napkin culture occurs at the end of the meal - ever notice how many people drop their napkin on the floor as they're getting up and just walk away?

And for the record, most times when I leave the table in the middle of the meal, I fold my napkin instead of leaving on crumpled on the chair or table - just a habit.

Rich Schulhoff

Rich, I've read your posts in the thread "Service, does it matter thread?" and I do understand where you're coming from. I've actually restrained myself from responding on that thread becasue I pretty vehemently disagree on many of the points you mention. Then again, that's just me, and I do admit to looking into minutiae. Will it spoil my meal, no; but I do try to notice everything. For me, napkin folding or replacement should be a given at any decent restaurant.

To bring this back on topic, however, I was more than impressed with their willingness to make the night a special and memorable one. The same can be said for their willingness to accomodate Bond Girl's request. To me, that's a hell of a lot more important than if they fold a napkin or not.

And again, this place is so on-the-money right now, I can't recommend it enough. I just want to make that clear.

I think a prime example of details is in Bond Girls post above. They could have very easily said. 'Sorry we are not equipped to serve a order to go'. But when thrown that curve ball out of the norm they handled it and left a lasting memory in a customer's mind.

I agree Robert, but that's not nearly as important as napkin folding or not. That was humanitarian and EMP deserves the highest kudos for acting as they did. That's a lot more important and reveals the personality of the restuarant and its staff more than any napkin folding ritual.

Rich Schulhoff

Rich, I've read your posts in the thread "Service, does it matter thread?" and I do understand where you're coming from. 

And I understand your point of view Bryan. It's fun to debate though, especially when the other opinion is respected. Reasonable people can disagree - that's what makes horse racing work.

And I totally agree with you regarding Bond Girl's issue - I think our posts crossed on that.

It could simply be a generation gap thing - maybe I'm just mellowing with age. :smile: (Except for the night at Gallagher's :laugh::laugh: )

Rich Schulhoff

Having read rich's "service" thread, I realize that what I commented on, with respect to EMP, was more the style of service than the quality of service. This is a Danny Meyer restaurant, for God's sake. There's no question of being ignored or left waiting or not having your needs graciously attended to. His places are known for top-notch service, and this place is at least as good as the rest of them.

What bothered me (and I don't want to make a big deal about it; it hardly ruined my meal, and I'm certainly going back) was how informal the service was. Everything that needed to be done was done, but it was all very casual (in the Danny Meyer style). I said I was surprised to be complaining about that, because usually it's my preference. But this food was so formal -- it's nothing like what's ever been served in any Danny Meyer restaurant, at least in my experience -- that I thought it warranted a more formal level of service. I think Country gets that kind of service exactly right. It isn't overdone, it doesn't seem fake, but the waitstaff is very deferential to the patrons (in a way that the friendly, chatty servers at EMP just aren't), and seem almost in hushed awe of the kitchen (and "hushed awe" is exactly what the kitchen at EMP -- unlike Country -- deserves).

I think what's driving this for me is that I think that eating food this extraordinarily good (or that's extraordinarily good in this particular way) should seem like more of an event. The service at EMP is just too casual for the food they serve.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)