• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pasta Shapes

Fat Guy

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

A sort of pasta e fagioli, but with added hot Italian sausage to the fagioli sauce I had saved from a dish I made earlier this week.

Fusilli works nicely.  And guess what - it's De Cecco! Just like the fancy Yorktown Heights people use. (De Cecco uses flours from California, Arizona and Italy (but not near Naples) and it cooks evenly all the way through).

Nice dish.  I'm hungry now.  De Cicco is on the higher end, a special occasion for us, but you do get some points for going mass market.  I'm curious how they came to that trio of flours.  I wonder if we did a taste test if we could pick out the Italian.

• Like 1

That wasn't chicken

16 minutes ago, ambra said:

This was a fun shape. I posted a pic of the dish on the dinner thread, so forgive me for the repeat photo, but here's a photo of the packaging. It's more expensive than the average price of pasta. 

IMG_9962.jpg.651f87a7eb128de241eb60c61e084be4.jpg

image.png.079c47f613ad51c42d1bdbe6991fbb77.png

I have a bag of that shape pasta that I purchased at Eataly for more than your "expensive" price.   This one

Not sure what I paid in the store but the online price of $5.90/500g converts to € 5.02

I do like it.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I have a bag of that shape pasta that I purchased at Eataly for more than your "expensive" price.   This one

I looked it up and it should be around 3 Euros here, depending on shape and store. 

My supermarket brands (from a normal Italian supermarket chain) run about 1.15-2 euros, also depending on shape. Barilla and De Cecco are not my go-to brands. But I'll post those too. 

I was told by a pasta maker that the better brands will have a higher protein count. (And for the record, I never actually checked the protein count, haha.) I have no idea of this is true!! Probably someone here will know better than me!

You can see the Garofalo is on sale! And yes, I stocked up!

image.png.e35109dc3da503aff3f008f674907fa0.pngimage.png.f85b4e6912a2c715b951523084bbaffc.pngimage.png.a92b0c7294ebee80702fe1dc3d70a625.pngimage.png.f3d1404ec4027c1374482c8c4239db8c.png

Edited by ambra (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Not sure what I paid in the store but the online price of $5.90/500g converts to € 5.02

I do like it.

That's a nice brand from Eataly (where I haven't shopped in a while). But Eataly is even more expensive, for certain products, than other places I shop. They do have a great selection though.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

4 hours ago, ambra said:

This was a fun shape. I posted a pic of the dish on the dinner thread, so forgive me for the repeat photo, but here's a photo of the packaging. It's more expensive than the average price of pasta. 

image.png.079c47f613ad51c42d1bdbe6991fbb77.png

The Gentile runs around $7.50 here. 

4 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

My favorite..commercial produced is

Rustichella d'Abruzzo 

but Barilla is my usual

I like this brand - also runs in that $7 range. Same as my current favorite, Faella. When I can get Setaro, it's quite a bit cheaper (of course, it's from Naples!)...

LUMACHINE 1.1 LBS.

Pastificio Setaro

$4.95

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@ambra Fun is one way to put it. The package of dry pasta looks like it should be called "Little Condoms!" Those Italians, what a sense of, well, humor, to call it Vesuvius.  Okay, it's been a long time since I examined a condom up close. 

As for Rustichella D'Abruzzo, I buy the penne in bulk. Last time it was on sale for $2.99 per lb, which seems like an awfully good deal. I use a lot of that shape.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2020 at 6:21 PM, weinoo said:

I think the main thing with bucatini is that it really can't be cooked al dente. Well (properly) cooked all the way through, and it is less problematic.

Apparently, the most challenging thing about bucatini is finding it. 

https://www.grubstreet.com/2020/12/2020-bucatini-shortage-investigation.html?fbclid=IwAR3hRyUFyL8WGdezNXtIbwIkSnCnn8HupmfITiMB4pyyhhJHTmDFhNPdSXY

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That wasn't chicken

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Up at 2 am, again, to check the freezer. Ever since the ButcherBox order came with the free turkey, I keep dreaming that it broke the shelf, rolled, and forced the freezer door open. As dreams go of course everything was completely thawed by weeks.

I kicked farfalle out of the house years ago. Any shape with a pinch point needs babysitting. 

The trumpet shape I picked up from WholeFoods I just had for the second time in a soup. Cooking time says 7-8 minutes. Set timer for 5 and it was done. Cussed a little bit. 4min would have been better. Greens and pasta added to bowls just before serving. They did not really hold the trumpet shape. Next go I'll set the pasta bowl in another bowl of ice water to stop the cooking.

I do like some of their shapes. And getting media attention via the new shape. Still out of the spaghetti and bucatini so must be busy. Good quality and NY HudsonValley made. Just not as sturdy as some other brands for soup. 

862946190_ScreenShot2021-11-08at4_51_23AM.thumb.png.50399e65c8e8729a6f58da1d8b093458.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chimayo Joe said:

Trottole is the newest shape to me that I've found that I really like. Kroger affiliates sometimes have it in their Private Selection brand.

https://www.kroger.com/p/private-selection-italian-trottole-macaroni-product/0001111009011

That looks very similar to the Vesuvio shape that @ambra mentioned in this post:

This article seems to indicate that it's sold as Nodi Marini (or “marine knots”), Trottole, Molloni, and Vesuvio.

I've bought it as Vesuvio and had it topped with ratatouille and chickpeas the other day: 

209A7543-4AAD-4EDA-8F2B-FFEC1296FB13_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.4bde7557cc1bf7a96c6d9e373fb41f00.jpeg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

That looks very similar to the Vesuvio shape that @ambra mentioned 

Yes, it looks very similar. I did run across a blog comment from someone in Italy saying that trottole may have more rings and a tighter spiral than vesuvio, but I'm not sure that's accurate.  I like the general shape, and it's something I'll buy regularly, whatever the name or variation.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This was a favorite for years but I can't find it. Our market went bankrupt and closed. May have imported the brand exclusive like they tended to do. They had it on sale often---buy two get one free dealio. The pic I just ran across does not have the name clearly visible. Has the nice rough texture of the bronze dye. It was nice for summer salads and more robust winter sauces. Without the annoying air pockets in bucatini. 

PASTA SHAPE FAIRWAY.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Looks like long fusili, aka fusilli lunghi.  I can read Fusilli Napoletani Lunghi pretty clearly. Is there there another name you know it by?  

Long fusili I could see by zooming in and spinning the photo. A few years ago when I took this pic it was for the grocery list---"get more of this one!". (with photo for DH) The brand is something like Moesco/Moreno/Moresco? I looked at Etaly and SuperMarketItaly. It was in the 7-8$ range but with the BOGO it was in the 5-buck range. 

All the talk about odd shapes and new ones, I've been loving the basic spaghetti and fettuccini. Spin it on a fork. Misfits has a good brand bronze dye. An easy week-night meal with greens and a basic blonde sauce of young gorgonzola. Side salad. 

BRONZE DYD SPAGETTI.png

• Like 3