• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great beef and pork jerky

DTBarton

You New Yorkers probably already know about this place, but I enjoyed finding it on a visit last week. Didn't see anything about it in a site search.

Walking down Bayard street in Chinatown went by a small shop called Big Beef King at 89 Bayard. Guy sells beef and pork jerky and not much else. Tried some and it was excellent, much less salty and dry than your normal jerky.

He has a few different flavors that I found to be kind of similar. They all have a touch of terriyaki sweetness. The hot variety has a nice peppery aftertaste. I actually like the pork better than the beef, it has a flavor reminiscent of ribs.

Best jerky I ever had.

Oh...my...God!!!

I have got to try this place the next time I'm in NYC.

The website made my mouth water. Wow. I can barely even think through hazy visions of moist pork jerky....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

There's three different jerky places in Manhattan Chinatown that I've noticed, as of when I was last there roughly 2 years ago.

Based on Yahoo Maps, one was on a north south street just south of Bayard, possibly Mulberry, one on Bayard right next to a Shanghai cuisine place right around the corner and one other one someplace.

I recall thinking that New Beef King was the best.

I'll have to re-test that belief shortly.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

There is one at 42 Canal - between Orchard and Ludlow.  Forget the name, but pretty tasty jerky.

I picked up their card yesterday:

Ling Kee

Beef Jerky

Chicken Jerky

Pork Jerky

42 Canal Street,

New York, N.Y. 10002

Tel. (212) 965-1206

Michael aka "Pan"

There is one at 42 Canal - between Orchard and Ludlow.  Forget the name, but pretty tasty jerky.

Ling Kee

Beef Jerky

Chicken Jerky

Pork Jerky

42 Canal Street,

New York, N.Y. 10002

Tel. (212) 965-1206

I think I've had their stuff too. I remember it as being tasty as well.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Ling Kee

Beef Jerky  Chicken Jerky  Pork Jerky

42 Canal Street,

New York, N.Y. 10002

Tel. (212) 965-1206

Thanks, Pan - did you try anything? Or were you on your way to a Malaysian meal :laugh:?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I was indeed on my way to a Malaysian meal. :biggrin:

Have you tried their chicken jerky? I found that idea a bit intriguing.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 2 months later...

I usually go to Granville Island and purchase beef jerkey from the first butcher near the fruit and vegetable stand beside the fish place. They informed me on Thursday that they don't sell it anymore only packaged beef jerkey. I need some help to find a new supplier. Freybe's packaged beef jerkey is fine but not as fresh and I do not own a smoker so that doesn't help. Any tips on where to buy it or a way to make it at home without a smoker? ie what meat works best, temperature hours, etc...

I usually go to Granville Island and purchase beef jerkey from the first butcher near the fruit and vegetable stand beside the fish place.  They informed me on Thursday that they don't sell it anymore only packaged beef jerkey.  I need some help to find a new supplier.  Freybe's packaged beef jerkey is fine but not as fresh and I do not own a smoker so that doesn't help.  Any tips on where to buy it or a way to make it at home without a smoker?  ie what meat works best, temperature hours, etc...

Sorry for the spelling errors it should be jerky but I have found a new contender for the best jerky:

http://www.beefjerky.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=26

Final Frontier Beef Jerky.

Anyone tried it?

What "type" of jerky?

Personally, I don't like the "western" style of jerky found at your commercial places. The ones that taste and resemble shoe leather. Why that's popular is beyond me ... but to each their own.

My preferred version of beef jerky is the moist, smoked kind. There are some Chinese butchers that do an outstanding version of beef jerky, some spicy, some sweet, some spicy-sweet. Incredible.

The one I tried last was from a butcher on Fraser street and it was amazing. Sorry, I cannot remember the business.

For off the shelf jerky, have you tried Jimmy's? Available at chinese/asian retailers (TNT, Chinatown etc ...). Delicious. Comes boxed with two packages or one shrink wrap. Made locally I believe.

Good luck.

For off the shelf jerky, have you tried Jimmy's? Available at chinese/asian retailers (TNT, Chinatown etc ...). Delicious. Comes boxed with two packages or one shrink wrap. Made locally I believe.

I haven't been able to find a box of jimmy's in over a year. It's been a heartbreaking experience.

I haven't been able to find a box of jimmy's in over a year. It's been a heartbreaking experience.

You know what? I heard rumors that it's not around anymore ... but I haven't confirmed it because I haven't looked around for it. I'll have to look for it next time I go to TNT.

I love this image. Brings back memories of scarfing down Jimmy's beef jerky down to the last little bits and then licking the bag up and down. (I shouldn't have admitted that ...)

(image removed by poster due to copyright considerations)

Edited by bill_n_opus (log)

There used to be a jerky place in Parker Place food court, is that one still around? I too am puzzled by the appeal of the "shoe leather" jerky. My vote is also for the sticky/moist (usually pork more than beef) kind. I'm curious though, what makes Jimmy's better than the other T&T stocked brands, ie. Soo's (is that what it's called?)

The one I tried last was from a butcher on Fraser street and it was amazing. Sorry, I cannot remember the business.

I agree about the delicious 'bak kwa' (SE Asian-style jerky, rectangular in shape, grilled, sweet, moist) sold at the shop on Fraser Street and 26th Avenue. They make it in beef, pork, and spicy varieties.

I agree about the delicious 'bak kwa' (SE Asian-style jerky, rectangular in shape, grilled, sweet, moist) sold at the shop on Fraser Street and 26th Avenue. They make it in beef, pork, and spicy varieties.

Awesome. I'm heading there today! Thanks!

Was it ~ 12-14 bucks a pound? Or for one rectangular shape?

There used to be a jerky place in Parker Place food court, is that one still around? I too am puzzled by the appeal of the "shoe leather" jerky. My vote is also for the sticky/moist (usually pork more than beef) kind. I'm curious though, what makes Jimmy's better than the other T&T stocked brands, ie. Soo's (is that what it's called?)

Jimmy's is just familar to me. I'm not aware of Soo's ... it could certainly be better than Jimmy's.

Awesome. I'm heading there today! Thanks!

Was it ~ 12-14 bucks a pound? Or for one rectangular shape?

I think that it's between $12-18/lb (can't remember), and they'll seal the bag for you if you wish. Haven't had it for a while, but am craving some right now... :biggrin:

Jimmy's is just familar to me. I'm not aware of Soo's ... it could certainly be better than Jimmy's.

Soo's is a brand that also makes Pork Fluff, I believe. Their jerky may be shelved apart from where you'd look for Jimmy's, as it comes not boxed but in vacuum-sealed packages. Just a heads up if you want to keep an eye out to check it out sometime.

For great, and different types of jerky, you have to go to the Abderdeen Centre in Richmond. On the first floor, in the corner behind the fresh produce stand, is a place that only sells different types of jerky: pork, salmon, beef, sweet, spicy, etc. When I'm there I always buy a pound of the sweet pork jerky. They will vacuum seal it for you but it never lasts in my house.

Sorry I don't know the exact name of the stand but it's the only dedicated jerky store in the Centre. Go today.

Paul B