• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Monogram cutters

cakesuite

Print the font you like in the sizes you want out onto a sheet of paper, cut that out with an exacto knife, then lay the template atop fondant and cut them out, again with the exacto knife. Let the fondant form a crust and firm up before moving it; otherwise the letters with stretch and look warbly, but don't let it sit so long the fondant hardens and you can't adjust it with the curvature of the rounded cake.

I'm sure this seems much more labour intensive then just using a cutter, but if you had to buy cutters for each letter of the alphabet, in two sizes no less, in all the fonts out there that customers might want, you'd go broke. :smile:

you could probably also do this as Sugarella describes, but pipe an outline with royal icing (on acetate placed over the font printout) and flood with thinner royal icing. Wait until it dries and then transfer to cake.

The angle on these particular letters remind me of a candy mold I have stashed away somewhere - it is a three part mold with initial caps and the smaller caps plus numerals. I bought it so long ago that I can't remember where, but it might have been Country Kitchens. If you soften fondant with some piping gel, you could mold it in the form then release it and neaten up the edges. Or use white chocolate, which would be more rigid than fondant.

For monograms, I use an oval plaque and pipe the mongram in royal icing. I can usually do it freehand but if you have one of those kopycake image projectors, that would work too if you don't feel confident in your freehand piping. I've been doing RLB's Hebrew 10 commandments design for years and still use the image projector for that particular project!

Thanks for your comments, everyone. I usually do monograms in royal, but this seems so clean, that if I knew the source for the cutter or mold, I'd buy it in an instant, even if I had to buy 2 sizes. The exacto method works for rougher shapes, but even with that, you wouldn't achieve the clean edge of these letters.

I appreciate your input.