• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Fudge Cake help

meredithla

I am looking for a recipe for a really tall, dense chocolate cake with dark, fudgy icing--much like the Cheesecake Factory fudge cake/blackout cake.

My soon to be 4-year-old daughter wants this as her birthday cake. Chocoholism starts young in our family!

I've tried many cakes on the chocolate cake thread that I loved but they don't seem to fit the "fudge cake" bill. Do you have a recipe that might be what I'm looking for?

Please don't make me sell my other child to pay for a Cheesecake Factory cake....

Edited by meredithla (log)

Pierre Herme has a dark fudgy cake in his Chocolate Desserts book. Not very tall, but dark and moist, much like a brownie. You'd need to make 3 of the recipe (which would require 27 yolks and 15 whites) to get what I would consider a TALL cake, so you may still need to sell that second child...

For frosting, I don't have a really fudgy one...

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

I am looking for a recipe for a really tall, dense chocolate cake with dark, fudgy icing--much like the Cheesecake Factory fudge cake/blackout cake.

My soon to be 4-year-old daughter wants this as her birthday cake.  Chocoholism starts young in our family!

I've tried many cakes on the chocolate cake thread that I loved but they don't seem to fit the "fudge cake" bill.  Do you have a recipe that might be what I'm looking for? 

Please don't make me sell my other child to pay for a Cheesecake Factory cake....

If you're looking for a Blackout Cake, you might want to check out Wayne Harley Brachman's recipe from "Retro Desserts." It's gotten great reviews. Here's a link to one of the sites it's posted on: http://www.recipezaar.com/55861

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

This cake is usually one layer, sort of like cake/brownies. I'd lose the pecans(unless she likes them, mine don't) and make a layer cake...2 sheet cakes together with icing on top and between. This icing is like fudge, and the cake is rich like a brownie, but not as dense.

I remember Wendy posted her recepie for a fudgy chocolate cake with a fudgy frosting , if I am not mistaken ,need to go an find it.

there it is.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=41144

Yes, the Scott Wooley Clark cake. I do like that one very much but not what I'm looking for this time. I want a more open crumb although still a bit dense.

I think I'll try the Brachman Blackout cake recipe and one off of the Hershey site--the Especially Dark Chocolate cake. I have some Black cocoa as well as Dutch-processed and regular. I'm thinking of blending the black and dutch-process to get a darker color and deeper flavor. I'll report back on what I find. Thanks for the help everyone!

I used to be a cake maker (no longer in public business), so I've tried a few chocolate cake recipes. (www.cakekraft.com) Here's an awesomely moist chocolate cake recipe that always gets rave reviews. And it's super-easy! I usually make this as a vegan cake, to reduce the cholesterol (and believe me know ones knows they're not there) but its works with the eggs and dairy as well. Give it a try and see how it goes.

Super Moist Chocolate Fudge Cake

2 cups sugar

2 1/2 cups flour

3/4 cups cocoa

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1 1/4 tsp salt

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1 cup milk

1/2 cup vegetable oil

2 tsp. vanilla

1 cup water + 2 tsp instant coffee

Combine all dry ingredients and mix until combined. Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla to dry. Beat for two minutes on medium speed. In the meantime, bring water to a boil and then add instant coffee to the water. Stir coffee into batter until combined. Pour into 2 greased and floured 9" x 3" pans, or or if you have 9x2" or 8x2", you may need to use three. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350, or until toothpick comes out clean. let cool 10 minutes before turning out of pans.

Any questions, just ask!

Michelle

"He was a very valiant man who first adventured on eating oysters." - King James I

I used to be a cake maker (no longer in public business), so I've tried a few chocolate cake recipes.  (www.cakekraft.com)  Here's an awesomely moist chocolate cake recipe that always gets rave reviews.  And it's super-easy!  I usually make this as a vegan cake, to reduce the cholesterol (and believe me know ones knows they're not there) but its works with the eggs and dairy as well.  Give it a try and see how it goes.

Michelle

Thanks Michelle! I'll try this one as well. We'll be eating a lot of chocolate cake at our house...

I was toying with a Cinqo de Mayo type formula for my son-in-law's May fifth birthday. I always feel more freedom with cakes for family and I didn't want to go to the store or spend any money & just use what I had in the house too. Well I was working with this recipe & that recipe & then I didn't really have the right ingredients for any one particular one so...I have made this twice. The crumb is not as open as it could be but man is it good. The cayenne does not shock or overtake--it glows in the throat and the back of the mouth after you swallow--really really nice. If your kidlette digs chocolate I think she will like this. It balances wonderfully with the icing but it's not bombastic at all.

I used regular buttercream of 10x sugar, cream & butter, flavor & salt then I either filled with cream cheese stuff or added cream cheese to that.

This is a double batch. And it's exactly what I used.

K8's Hot Fudge Cake

3 ounces of unsweetened Baker's chocolate

Hershey's Extra Dark 60% cacao 3.52 ounce bar (got it at Walgreen's)

2 ounces of German Chocolate

^^^melt & set aside^^^

4 cups sugar

3 cups sifted all purpose flour--less one heaping spoonful (sugar spoon size)

1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

2 - 3 generous teaspoons saigon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder

1 heaping spoonful (sugar spoon size) Valrhona cocoa powder

^^^ whisk all together in a mixing bowl & set aside ^^^

2 cups strong hot coffee

1 cup sour cream (room temp-ish)

1 cup oil

1 tablespoon vanilla

^^^Blend coffee, sr crm, vanilla & oil together with a whisk ^^^ Then add to powder mixture & combine well.

4 eggs, room temp

^^^lightly beat eggs & add to mixture combining well^^^ then add chocolate & mix well.

Makes nice half sheet or 4 eight inch layers. Bake 350 for like 40 ish minutes until toothpick comes out clean. I filled the cake with a cream cheese and swiss meringue buttercream combo. Then iced it with regular buttercream in order to cover with fondant.

It's more or less one of those Texas sheet cakes kinda sorta. I mix it by hand with a whip--bakes nice. Very fudgey. I'm gonna use self-rising flour next time see if it changes the crumb. I use a baking core to bake.

Many thanks to Cheryl, SweetSide for the heads up on the right amount of cayenne. I used 3/4 of a teaspoon for my husband's to zing it a teensy bit. A half teaspoon is sufficient--3/4 is pleasantly zingy. More than that I think will take it off the chart.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

I was toying with a Cinqo de Mayo type formula for my son-in-law's May fifth birthday. I always feel more freedom with cakes for family and I didn't want to go to the store or spend any money & just use what I had in the house too. Well I was working with this recipe & that recipe & then I didn't really have the right ingredients for any one particular one so...I have made this twice. The crumb is not as open as it could be but man is it good. The cayenne does not shock or overtake--it glows in the throat and the back of the mouth after you swallow--really really nice. If your kidlette digs chocolate I think she will like this. It balances wonderfully with the icing but it's not bombastic at all.

Many thanks to Cheryl, SweetSide for the heads up on the right amount of cayenne. I used 3/4 of a teaspoon for my husband's to zing it a teensy bit. A half teaspoon is sufficient--3/4 is pleasantly zingy. More than that I think will take it off the chart.

Oooooh, I love anything with the chocolate/cinnamon/chili or cayenne combo. Vosges Chocolate makes an Aztec cocoa that I would mainline if it were possible.

Oooooh, I love anything with the chocolate/cinnamon/chili or cayenne combo. Vosges Chocolate makes an Aztec cocoa that I would mainline if it were possible.

Off topic and a lot little less high-toned than Vosges, but have you tried this Haagen-Daz Mayan Chocolate ice cream? Deep chocolate, lots of cinnamon, really tasty.

• 2 weeks later...
Michelle, do you do any substitutions when you do the vegan version? Or do you simply leave out the eggs? Thank you.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner!!

For a vegan cake, I use EnerG Egg Replacer powder, which can be found at most Whole Foods locations. You just use the equivalent of two eggs according to the package directions. Soymilk is used in place of the milk, same quantity. I have been meaning to try and use banana as an egg replacer; I think that could be quite tasty!

I have made this as a vegan cake and as a regular cake, and everyone (including me, and we're all non-vegans) prefers the vegan version. It doesn't make any sense, but there ya go...awesome cake every time.

"He was a very valiant man who first adventured on eating oysters." - King James I

Thanks mmm_chocolate! That's interesting, about how everyone seems to prefer the vegan version. I'm going to have to try it out. Am currently doing some experimenting with egg-free baking, so this is definitely going on the list of to-trys. Thanks!