• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblogs: Coming Attractions

gallery_13038_3658_109299.jpg

I don't think anybody will guess this blogger, so already, here are the hints.

What does the above photo have to do with food? The next blogger is currently living in this home, which used to be a butchershop (in the 1600s).

What is the location of the next blog? If all goes as planned, it will be brought to us from three countries!

What kind of food might the blogger be cooking? The blogger might not cook any of it.

It begins on Monday, 30 October.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I also thought it looked very Dutch! and I know I am not the next blogger :wink:

I think BonVivant NL lives in the southern part of the Netherlands.. bordering on Belgium and Germany... that might explain the 3-country part.

Based on the windows in the house, I'll guess that the house is located in the Netherlands. Can anyone expand on that idea?

Windows have a nationality? I wonder if the awning/marquee rolls down at night, or if that big room is just visible to all passersby.

And I'm a sucker for real estate older than my country.

Based on the windows in the house, I'll guess that the house is located in the Netherlands. Can anyone expand on that idea?

Windows have a nationality?

Whenever I've been in the Netherlands, the windows in the houses are distinctly different from any I've seen elsewhere in that their lower sill is very low to the ground. I guess there was never a window tax in their history! :laugh:

The next blog is scheduled to begin Monday, 6 November 2006. I fear it would be easy for me to give away the location with clues; it is a popular place for eG foodblogs, and a "back by popular demand" area. To tease you, pictures of what you are likely to see in the blog (here, before making it to the table):

Food

gallery_13038_3658_26637.jpg

Wine

gallery_13038_3658_24639.jpg

Pontormo guessed the current blogger, but kept it quiet to see if anybody else did!

The next blogger is not only a surprise, but an introduction of sorts. We are going back to North America. Here's a Taco-Teaser!

gallery_13038_3658_35233.jpg

It starts on Monday, 13 November 2006, and promises to be fun.

I'm going to ask a dumb question, I might be missing the boat on something simple. Is there a way to register so that you automatically get notified when the next blogger has started? I'm always searching thru "View New Post" pages looking to see who is next. I'm a terrible guesser!!

Maybe FoodBlogs should be their own forum?

Next Feature: Coming to America

Well, we are in America for the current blog, so I guess that would be more properly put by saying it is Staying in America for the next blog. I can also tell you with complete confidence that the next eG foodblogger will do it up properly during the blog week of 20 November 2006 through 26 November 2006.

It is Thanksgiving week, so the foodblog calendar was crying out for an American blog. The eGullet Society has many members to be thankful for, and the member who will be blogging is one for whom much appreciation and thanks has been expressed on the forums.

Here is a glimpse for you of the glimpse that our blogger sees, looking out over the city...

gallery_13038_3658_36880.jpg

Thinking thankful thoughts...

gallery_13038_3658_5080.jpg

Sorry about the mushiness, but I get like this at Thanksgiving, so I am taking the opportunity to say thank you to everyone who contributes to The eGullet Society in any way, making it the great organization and food & drink community that it is.

:smile:

So, any guesses?

Excellent guess.

As for the setting, I was struck by the resemblance of the most striking building to the The Temple of the Scottish Rite in Washington, D.C. However, the design for the War Memorial in Indianapolis is also based on the same architectural Wonder of the Ancient World: the funerary monument at Halicarnassus.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I'm sure the blogger is a she, who likes err.. sugar in her tea. Enjoys writing. Good with words and is in her late thirties. :biggrin:

I'm guessing ...Racheld  :biggrin:

Hello Susan,

We miss you on the Dinner thread.

That was my guess, too... :biggrin:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

• 2 weeks later...

eG foodblog fans, please accept my apologies for not teasing you this time. On top of having to do some last-minute shuffling on the foodblog calendar, the blogger and I had crazy busy weekends and didn't get it together..... But there IS a blogger who will be coming our way starting tomorrow morning. It is a returning eG blogger, someone whose blogging we enjoyed before.

Thanks All for your patience while these last-minute changes were being made, and thanks in advance to the next blogger for coming to us on short notice.

Baby it's cold outside, at least where this blog comes from,

gallery_13038_3658_64983.jpg

so come on in...

gallery_13038_3658_120285.jpg

A late tease, but better late than never I hope... The eG foodblogger that starts tomorrow will welcome us through his (yeah, I'll give you that) door and into a day week in the life. We will be welcomed to some good eating, drinking, and doing -- perhaps even a cocktail parry!

Cheers!

There are some celebrations coming up! The next eG foodblogger has been working up to this opportunity to celebrate for months now, and the blog starts tomorrow, Sunday, 17 December. It's my bad that a teaser photo isn't posted here yet; I am having trouble retrieving stuff out of spam folders. (GMail, I'll get you shortly. I plan to ditch the crap I'm using now.)

Clue: I think we can expect to see "some dim sum."

Kagami mochi is food!

gallery_13038_3658_16926.jpg

The next two teasers do not include food (that I know of); they do include hints that we should not expect a white Christmas from this locale. The next eG foodblog begins Sunday, 24 December and will bring us celebration and joy through Saturday, 30 December.

gallery_13038_3658_50799.jpg

gallery_13038_3658_52308.jpg

The eG foodblog team and I wish happy holidays and celebrations of all kinds, to all.