• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblogs: Coming Attractions

They're definitely hard-boiled eggs--could be tea eggs, could be braised in soy. The meat could be red-cooked or otherwise braised and glazed ... so are we headed to China? Hong Kong?

That first picture, though ... I am so not an agricultural person, but aren't those vineyards?

Edited by mizducky (log)

Not Europe.  Think a long time on an airplane from Europe.  Oddly, I have had two PM's guessing an Italian location.  Couldn't be further, but could be that the next blogger and I have really stumped you!

Not many places in the world are farther from Italy than Napa... that is a ridiculously long plane ride (though I guess South American and Australia aren't exactly "close" either).

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

The food looks too soy lacquered to be South Africa, but that would have been my guess based on the lushness of the vines and the long plane ride clue.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 weeks later...

Monday, April 7, we hit the road again, and once again, I fear a case of jet lag.

gallery_6263_3_83481.jpg

Looks bucolic, doesn't it?

And, I think this next photo indicates that we will see a food that is near and dear to many of our hearts:

gallery_6263_3_37773.jpg

Where are we going? And who will be our guide?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I immediately think of Yorkshire and James Herriot's boiled bacon.

Like Rachel, my first thought was England... but there are too many buildings in the landscape... and my UK friends aren't too fond of "streaky bacon"...

I'm stumped...

Edited by onrushpam (log)

So who do we know who is getting seriously into charcuterie right now and lives somewhere in farm country? Two people come to mind - Alan Patric or Chris Hennes.

or virginia...

don't see any of those happy cows.  though that is beautiful bacon.

Plus I'm thinking that those mountains in the background look a bit more like low, rolling Eastern US type mountains than higher, pointier Western US type mountains.

At any rate, that chunk of pork belly definitely grabbed my attention too. :wub:

Edited by mizducky (log)

The landscape says California to me.

Me, too, but only if we are talking aolut this being a photo "in real time".

snowangel, is this a current photo or not?

If not, I can make a million guesses. But, if it is, where else has that kind of green on April 4?

Hills=not midwest..................