• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblogs: Coming Attractions

Due to the offline time that resulted in a most awesome reorganization of eGullet forums, we now have the continuation of Suzy's stunningly beautiful Christmas blog, and we have the start of a new year's blog that I'm sure will go down in eG foodblog history as a favorite going on at the same time! What better celebrations could we have for the holidays and the roll-out of the eGullet Society's changes?!

Please accept our apologies for the absence of teaser photos this time. I'm sure you'll agree that these blogs are both worth the wait to get back online.

After the current blog is completed, there will be a break in the action in order for yours truly to do some planning, and work on adapting to the changes. Be on the lookout for the preview of what is to come beginning on Sunday, 14 January. It's exciting!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Here is the promised preview. The blog that starts 14 January 2007 will take us back to the continental U.S.

See if you can guess where...

gallery_13038_3658_20640.jpg

It promises to show us beautiful, fresh and creative foods.

gallery_13038_3658_98793.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

:hmmm: I'm not sure those are tiles on the roof tops - not familiar enough with them as they are non-existent on our prairies. And I'm not sure the architecture can be found in Maryland, but the ingredients made me think of C. Sapidus immediately. :unsure:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

i agree with deja, the ingredients make me think of c.sapidus, but the plate isn't one of his (at least i don't think i've seen one like that in his many photos on the dinner thread).

it does look very similar to a california mission, but the very pointy spire makes me think of another locale. hmmmmm, tricky! :hmmm:

Looks like it could be Thai food--someone in SF perhaps. Pim could be a possibility.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Looks like it could be Thai food--someone in SF perhaps.  Pim could be a possibility.  Susan in FL?

On first glance, I thought it might be Mission Dolores here in SF, but, the towers are wrong.

Always excited to see Thai food!

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Thai food often equals snowangel, but I don't know if they have any spires like that in MN.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Are those a wok and a metate peaking from the shadows behind the veggies?

I would say yes to both. So, the next blogger is definitely someone really into, or knows a great deal about, or seriously trying and learning about SE Asian cuisine. :rolleyes:

But, Susan needs to say, "Getting warmer!"

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

• 2 weeks later...

There seems to be a lull here...the conveyor belt of foodbloggers appears to have stopped.

Is it down for maintenance?

Or is the queue really empty?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

There seems to be a lull here...the conveyor belt of foodbloggers appears to have stopped.

Is it down for maintenance?

Or is the queue really empty?

No worries. The blog will resume on Monday January 29 with a somewhat unconventional entry. A few hints as to what's coming next will be posted shortly.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

You beat me to it! Me too.

Looks like the steering wheel would be on the left on that truck, eliminating a small number of places.

But the claypot lentil cookery - does that fit in?

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Too funny! :laugh::laugh:

No, it's not me because in Brandon, we don't have snowdrifts like the ones in the above photo this year. The chicken feet, yes. The pickup truck, definitely.

I'm thinking someone in the more westerly provinces. They've had a lot more snow than Manitoba. Who's in Calgary and cooks chicken feet? :hmmm:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Snowdrifts and chicken feet. I say it's Dejah!

I second that nomination - I mean I third it!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!