• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Munich: Cheap

I will be in Munich from July until late September. I need to be able to eat at the cheapest (yet edible) places I can find. Would any of you be able to offer me any suggestions?

PS: I will be at the Goethe-Institute, to give you a better idea of my location.

Cheapest would of course be to self-cater. You can find some great bread, cheese and charcuterie all over town. Try basements of big department stores, I've found them to be cheaper than viktualienmarkt and with a nice selection. Some supermarkets are better than others, but its rare to get truly bad bread. Viktualienmarkt is a lot of fun for a splurge here or there.

Beirgartens are good and cheap for food. Even cheaper, you can buy the beer there and bring your own food with.

Generally there are a lot of cheap asian, turkish and middle eastern imbiss spots. You are quite centrally located: if you head towards the hauptbanhof there's especially many around. It may not be earth shattering but it will be pretty decent.

Bakeries are great for cheap food -- they usually sell some form of broetchen with stuff in it. Some bakeries are better than others, but you will be able to figure that out pretty quickly. Be sure to try leberkase: Bavaria's answer to spam! (It's good. Really.)

There is just lots all over the place, kind of hard to know where to start.

Here is a good link:

Toytown Munich

There are a lot of restaurant reviews there and the audience seems to take price into consideration so it might be useful.

Good luck & viel Spass!

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say for sure if things are still as they were when I lived in Munich some years ago, but I can say that if you get away from the touristy areas (not all of downtown is "touristy", but a lot of it is), you're in for some major treats.

I won't mince words: Munich is one ass-kicking food city! From the street food, to fine dining. I'll talk about some of the fine non-fine-dining options.

On the cheap, start with street food. I suggest that you attempt to seek out the best Turkish Doenner in town. I know where I think it is, but won't spoil the fun for you. Look for Turkish patrons lining up in droves, and chances are good that you're in for one kick-ass Doenner! I wish I had one right now. <sigh>

Although it unfortunately isn't too trendy, I highly recommend also seeking out the few special places that still serve Bavarian food with pride. Schweinehax'n, Surlhax'l, and well-made German favorites like Sauerbraten, Blaukraut, and the like. They were somewhat dissapearing when I was last there, but there were still some places in town

that were great. I can't remember the name of the place, but in Untersendling within a few blocks of the church there was a place that made some really nicely cooked surlhax'l. Sorry, but I can't be more specific. You'll find it, though. :)

There are good Portugese (wistful nostalgiac sigh for bacalao and vino verde) and Spanish restaurants that usually aren't /too/ expensive. For Spanish, I will vouch for Centro Espanole in Untersendling. You could spend a lot there, but can also have some nice food and a pitcher of house wine for not-too-much money. I personally love the very informal atmosphere, and basically just love that little place.

Try the Vietnamese and Chinese places too. Some of them are very good and inexpensive. For lunch, look for places where workers go. I used to have a 3 Euro pizza-of-the-day, glass of mineral water, and pretty tasty sald at a friendly Italian joint, or pho at a Vietnamese place for the same. Just have a look around, and see where people are going.

Also, check out the Greek places. You'll find whole communities.

I also definitely second the suggestion to visit the Viktualienmarkt and every beer garden you can find...

I'd also, sadly, have to say that Mexican and American food is best avoided. Forget about finding a good burger (Gunter Murphys and the Australian places are certainly fun places to meet expatriates, but although pretty decent the burgers aren't cheap and probably will just make you want a real one). You'll just have to make those yourself. The good news is that you can find everything you need, even habanero peppers if you like them spicy. (Ditto Mexican food. Unless the situation has changed, forget all about handmade tamales, much less your favorite taqueria.)

Small potatoes. Great, inexpensive food is everywhere.

I wish that I could comment more on your specific location, but I didn't spend a lot of time in that part of town. Don't worry, though. Although not the cheapest place to live, great and inexpensive food is alive and well in my favorite city.

Bottom line: Avoid downtown (there are good places there, but also a lot of touristy and very expensive ones), and you'll do fine.

Enjoy Munich! I'm jealous. ;>

_Jesse Williamson ;-};

...and, where are my manners? I forgot to mention the obvious!

* Beer

* Weisswurst (and, basically, every kind of sausage you can lay your hands on)

* Leberkaes

...and so on. :)

-J.

• 1 year later...