• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cream cheese ice cream ... has anyone tried this?

Gifted Gourmet

Have read about cream cheese ice cream which resembles a frozen cheesecake. Has anyone made or eaten this one? The recipe I will be using is from epicurious:recipe here and I think it will go nicely with a strawberry or raspberry topping.

Your impressions? Ideas to make it more interesting? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Have read about cream cheese ice cream which resembles a frozen cheesecake. Has anyone made or eaten this one? The recipe I will be using is from epicurious:recipe here and I think it will go nicely with a strawberry or raspberry topping.

Your impressions? Ideas to make it more interesting?  :rolleyes:

Hi GG. That sounds delicious, but how about making strawberry or raspberry sauce and swirling it in the ice cream? Or, totally go overboard and make your own decadent version of a Dove Bar? Mmm, cream cheese ice cream on a stick (not a wooden one!) dipped in melted milk or dark chocolate. :wink:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

anybody know double rainbow ice cream?

they used to have (dont know if they still do) a blueberry cheesecake ice cream.

it tasted really cream cheesey. but that was over ten years ago.

i just remember liking it alot. just havent seen it in all this time...

ill keep an eye on this thread. maybe someone has a good recipe...?

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

I tried the recipe for cream cheese ice-cream in Claudia Fleming's The Last Course. I was very happy with the results and totally love the tangy flavour. A very nice departure from vanilla ice-cream to serve with fresh fruit compote.

Candy Wong

"With a name like Candy, I think I'm destined to make dessert."

Want to know more? Read all about me in my blog.

This sounds good; the recipe looks similar to one I have from Michel Richard that I have not yet tried. His recipe has a little more lemon juice, but the proportions of dairy and sugar are very similar.

Along the lines of cream cheese ice cream, I've made ricotta ice cream and mascarpone ice cream and really enjoyed both.

The first I served with slices of blood orange and some Italian cornmeal cookies. The mascarpone ice cream was from The French Laundary Cookbook and the garnish was a "spring salad" with Strawberries, Oranges, Candied Rhubarb and Fennel. This was very good; I second ComeUndone's suggestion of a fruit compote of some sort. Some other spring fruit ideas: rhubarb or pineapple.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"