• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nashville People: Iroquois Steeplechase

For those that don't know, there's a big ol' fancy event in Nashville next weekend (the Kentucky Derby of Nashville), which brings out the finest in seersucker, big hats and sundresses. The midfield, where I'll be, is host to plenty of tailgating.

Y'all can check it out Here

I was hoping to do some pulled pork or ham n' rolls, but it looks like our host only wants people bringing sides (he's responsible for the main dish). Unfortunately, he's not coordinating what these sides will be....so who knows what we're gonna have (there are 16 people coming). So far, my thoughts were:

1) breakfast casserole (we'll be there at like 9am setting up the tent)

2) chess pie or key lime tarts

3) chocolate peanut butter cookies

4) sausage dip

5) maybe fried green tomato blt sammiches

6) bacon-stuffed tomato shooters

For those of you not going, any suggestions for sides that will last sitting out for a while? We'll have carrying containers that can keep the sides hot or cold during transport and everything, so the only issue is how it will handle sitting out under the tent.

1) breakfast casserole (we'll be there at like 9am setting up the tent)

2) chess pie or key lime tarts

3) chocolate peanut butter cookies

4) sausage dip

5) maybe  fried green tomato blt sammiches

6) bacon-stuffed tomato shooters

For those of you not going, any suggestions for sides that will last sitting out for a while?

I think that the best thing to make would be those fried green tomato blt sandwiches but they may develop a soggy crust due to the long wait period ... the cookies and pies will handle the time issues ... the rest is a crap shoot, so to speak :huh: .. enjoy this splendid day that you all have planned!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

yeah, well, i'm getting an "i don't think so" look from the gf re the fried green tomato blt.

there would be a mayo issue for the tomato shooters, but everytime we've made them in the past, they go pretty quickly (so i would assume that they wouldn't last very long).

i dunno. maybe we'll just do a pie or something.

next year i hope to make this a little more organized where people are responsible for specific things. uncertainty is not my preferred theme!

I can remember going when in college back in "89. It was one of my fondest college memories of what I do remember of it. Don't remember the food as much as the booze was definitely free-flowing.

lotta fun getting together with all my church of christ buddies from Lipscomb to get bombshelled on beer and whiskey during steeplechase (you really, really have to be from the south to appreciate what i just said!). actually we call it "steeplewaste". we're cooking two whole shoulders all night long, texas sausage and cabernet sauvignon burgers with red onions & goat cheese. bosco's brewery is donating a couple of kegs for us (buddies with the manager). have some other buddies cooking crawfish. i tell you this......if you ain't been and you have friends in nashville then at some point in life yo' ass needs to come to this - real good times!!!

-pat

Newgene Ledbetter would rather climb a tree to tell you a lie than stand on the ground and tell you the truth!

lotta fun getting together with all my church of christ buddies from Lipscomb to get bombshelled on beer and whiskey during steeplechase (you really, really have to be from the south to appreciate what i just said!).  actually we call it "steeplewaste".  we're cooking two whole shoulders all night long, texas sausage and cabernet sauvignon burgers with red onions & goat cheese.  bosco's brewery is donating a couple of kegs for us (buddies with the manager).  have some other buddies cooking crawfish.  i tell you this......if you ain't been and you have friends in nashville then at some point in life yo' ass needs to come to this - real good times!!!

-pat

Wait just a minute...you lost me at Church of Christ, Lipscomb and booze! One of these things does not fit in with the rest!

When did you go to Lipscomb? My gf went from k-12 (class of 98) and then off to Vandy (her friends all stayed at Lipscomb for the most part for college). It's always interesting to hear stories of the how the Lipscomb kids fall into the evils of alcohol. It's amazing that you weren't smote on the spot the first time it touched your lips. lol.

We'll be in the midfield, basically directly across from the jumbotron. I found out after my initial post that we were delegated breakfast, so the wheels are turning for ideas. I have to narrow my list down from 15 to 2 items, but it looks like I may make ham n' rolls while my gf makes an assortment of breads or fruit tarts . If you get a chance, PM me, I wouldn't mind checking out your setup. And if our neighbors this year are the same as last year, you should swing by if you want to see 16yr old Harpeth Hall and MBA kids puking and urinating. Hooray!

graduated college in 1996.......tell your wife that i am married to stephen neil's sister martha ann, she should know him. yeah we'll be in the midfield also...but i dont know where.

Newgene Ledbetter would rather climb a tree to tell you a lie than stand on the ground and tell you the truth!

i'll try and upload some pics tonight...probably won't get to it until after lost. unfortunately, i got busy setting up and was rushed in the morning so i don't think i got any pics of the finished product/spread.

it went well. here's a quick rundown of what was made:

we made the bulk of the breakfast items - coca cola ham and yeast rolls (all homemade), blueberry cheesecake squares and assorted fruit. we also made hurricanes and mint tea. since i'm not a beer drinker, i killed most of the hurricane concoction myself.

other people brought the following:

spicy sausage balls

pigs in a blanket

burgers

potato salad

black bean and corn

assorted chips and dips

salami/cheese/cracker tray

assorted cookies

i think it's pretty safe to say that the bulk of the 20 or so people we had were more interested in the beverages than the food. next year, i hope to take some initiative and do more coordination regarding the food.

Edited by carpetbagger, esq. (log)