• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pickled Walnuts - What should they taste like?

pounce

A European food import company near my house had an outlet sale this weekend and I picked up some interesting things I hadn't tried before. Among the interesting jars was Pickled Walnuts in Malt Vinegar. I had heard of pickled green walnuts before, but hadn't seen them until now. I popped open the jar as soon as I got home and tried some. Hmm... tastes like malt vinegar with some texture. I couldn't really taste the walnuttiness. I tried soaking a few in water for a few minutes, but really I don't think I'm experiencing pickled walnuts properly.

So what are pickled walnuts supposed to taste like? Are they all looks (round and black) or did I get a sub par brand my first time out?

My soup looked like an above ground pool in a bad neighborhood.

Thanks.

"It's like very lumpy Worchestershire Sauce

Hmm. For anyone that actually consumes these things can you confirm? The ones I have a pretty mushy in the mouth. I might even like them if they were a bit more solid.

For the pickled walnut connoisseur, what is the better brand?

My soup looked like an above ground pool in a bad neighborhood.

Home made. Pick before 24th June.

Geo Watkins is a traditional maker.

I like the description of "lumpy Worcester sauce". They should be vinegary, a little chili and I like a suspicion of cinnamon and cloves.

I ate pickled walnuts while on vacation in Cyprus, the host had made them from his grandmother's recipe. As I recall, we had them with dinner, which was various grilled meats. They were divine, and, regrettably, I've never seen them since! :sad:

I may be in Nashville but my heart's in Cornwall

One of the main brands in the UK is Opies - which are a little less spicy than per Jack's description. You can get them shipped worldwide from Britsuperstore

The taste of the walnut is pretty much railroaded by the vinegar, though. As with pickled eggs the attraction is actually that texture - in this case a slightly crumbly skin with mushy interior.

And like pickled eggs, they go great with asparagus and parmesan. :smile:

restaurant, private catering, consultancy
feast for the senses / blog