• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian ideas for BBQ?

A friend is having a BBQ on the 13th at a state park near here. I'd like to bring something unique - are there any Indian dishes that would make good BBQ side dishes? Failing that, do you have any other recommendations?

Heriyali Kebabs. That be Indian chicken wings grilled with a mint/coriander marinate/pesto on it.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Something that we often have are tandoori shrimp. Marinate them with your own recipe or with a bottled paste like Pataks and line them up on a skewer. Very delicious.

Milagai posted about a carrot salad called kosumalli on the Carrots thread. I think that would be a killer side dish, and pretty easy to get to the park without bad things happening to it.

The raita variations would be great, too. Sorta necessary, actually.

I really love bhel puri (kind of like rice krispies with onions, chiles, cilantro, tomatoes and a tamarind/date dressing), but it has to be consumed immediately or it loses the crispy quality. Logistics could be a problem, but it could turn a few heads if done right.

If you want to do hot sides I think that either shredded cabbage with peas or even aloo gobi (potatoes and cauliflower) would go over well with a diverse group.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Bhel puri could work if you bring all the components separately, then assemble right before serving. Haven't met anyone yet who doesn't love the mix of crisp, soft, sweet, salty, tangy, and spicy.

Samosas, of course, are perfect for any occasion :biggrin:.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne