• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hog Island Oysters

docsconz

I recently had the pleasure of having Hog Island Oysters at The Ferry Plaza both outside at the Saturday market and inside at the very cool restaurant. The Monday evening oyster happy hour is a great bargain for downing excellent quality oysters in a nice environment.

Some photos:

gallery_8158_2871_24813.jpg

gallery_8158_2871_45410.jpg

gallery_8158_2871_51810.jpg

gallery_8158_2871_16504.jpg

gallery_8158_2871_61813.jpg

gallery_8158_2871_71226.jpg

gallery_8158_2871_18471.jpg

gallery_8158_2871_37877.jpg

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Great photos; I want some oysters now!

The space is small but nice. Weather permitting it is also pleasant to sit outside with the sights and sounds of the bay at hand. Terrific Acme bread and sweet butter are great accompaniements as well. I've had a nice chowder there as well.

Do you remember what oysters they were serving that day? Besides their local Tomales Bay oysters, I think I've had some other wonderful west coast oysters there from British Colombia.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Do you remember what oysters they were serving that day?  Besides their local Tomales Bay oysters, I think I've had some other wonderful west coast oysters there from British Colombia.

That day they had Sweetwaters and Kumamotos from Hog Island, Effingham Inlet from British Columbia, St. Simon from New Brunswick, and Island Creek from Massachusetts. I had had the sweetwaters and Kumamotos on Saturday at the market so wanting to stay on the west coast (when in Rome...) I went with the Effinghams. They as the others were delicious. I like mine best with a squeeze of lemon.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Do you remember what oysters they were serving that day?  Besides their local Tomales Bay oysters, I think I've had some other wonderful west coast oysters there from British Colombia.

That day they had Sweetwaters and Kumamotos from Hog Island, Effingham Inlet from British Columbia, St. Simon from New Brunswick, and Island Creek from Massachusetts. I had had the sweetwaters and Kumamotos on Saturday at the market so wanting to stay on the west coast (when in Rome...) I went with the Effinghams. They as the others were delicious. I like mine best with a squeeze of lemon.

Thank you---Effinghams were the ones I was thinking of; absolutely delicious. They have a nice mignonette there, but my preferred garnish is also lemon--just a a drop or two.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

that's one of my favorite places: great oysters, nice wine list and you sit on the bay. what could be better? they also sell oysters. last time i was there on my way up to a weekend with friends at a vacation house and i picked up 7 or 8 dozen. they packed them nicely and gave me good advice on storing them in the hotel overnight until we left. i think it was about $1 per.

Great photos! We were there on Sat. Loved the Ferry Building, it was our first visit there. Didn't have a chance to sample the oysters as we were saving our appetite for lunch at the Ritz. I'll post about that experience and our meal at Boulevard a bit later. :biggrin:

On Saturdays, especially if the weather is good one is better off getting the oysters from their stand outside in the Farmer's Market where one does not have to pay tax on the briny delights.

Twitter - @docsconz

Ahhh, Hog Island. My single greatest oyster experience to date was at Hog Island. I took a break from a conference I was attending at the Ritz Carlton, sat at the counter and had two dozen of the French Hogs, Hog Island's Belon oysters, shucked by a guy who looked like a tall Santa Clause. These were simply the freshest, most sublime oysters I have ever tasted.

I do not get to San Francisco that often, but in addition to stopping again at Hog Island, I have always wanted to give Swan Oyster Depot a try.

• 5 months later...

I didn't know about this until recently; but, Hog Island have a happy hour deal from 5-7 on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I don't know if it is the same every happy hour. Last night, all pints of beer were $3.50 and they offered the Hog Island Sweetwater oysters for $1 each.

Good stuff!

The line can be long, though, so try to get there early.

And North Coast's Pranqster in pints is a bit dangerous...

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Tell us more about the Pranqster . . . ale or stout or ?

Pam,

North Coast's PranQster is a strong Belgian Style Ale. ABV is 7.6%.

It's not a particularly extreme version of Belgian Style Ale, compared to those from Ommegang, Allagash, Russian River, or Unibroue. However, it is very easy drinking for its alcohol content. Care must be exercised.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't know about this until recently; but, Hog Island have a happy hour deal from 5-7 on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I don't know if it is the same every happy hour.  Last night, all pints of beer were $3.50 and they offered the Hog Island Sweetwater oysters for $1 each.

Good stuff!

The line can be long, though, so try to get there early.

And North Coast's Pranqster in pints is a bit dangerous...

wrong days. the happy hour deal is avail on monday and thursdays. should get there early or wait can be up to an hour IME.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

• 5 months later...
Not sure if anyone else has noticed but they seem to preshuck the oysters (see pics 4 & 5), I'm sure that they don't stick for long but still.....  :hmmm:

I believe it has everything to do with timing -- I have only watched them pre-shuck oysters when they know they are minutes away from being slammed and, learning the traffic of the Ferry Building fairly easily, it is not hard to determine crowd patterns.

I was there for lunch last Thursday and there were no pre-shucked oysters, there was a 10 minute wait for a table, and all the shuckers were working hard to keep up with the demand.

I wouldn't be worried.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed but they seem to preshuck the oysters (see pics 4 & 5), I'm sure that they don't stick for long but still.....  :hmmm:

I've only been to the restaurant a couple times (the oysters from the truck out back on Saturday just seem to taste better); but, I've never seen them really pre-shuck.

I mean, as they are shucking oysters, they will shuck them to the ice in front of them, rather than directly to a tray. But, I've never seen the oysters sit open, on ice, for longer than it takes for them to shuck the rest of an order.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA