• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lamb Pasanda

kjohn

Pasanda (Would traditionally mean Fillet)

(courtesy of Suvir)

I have most often seen pasandas made with lamb. There is one version where the sauce has yogurt and or cream in it. The other is made with just an onion and tomato sauce. I have found the yogurt based one more authentic and also tastier.

Pasandas are a classic Moghul preparation. The lamb is braised in a yogurt based sauce spiced with whole garam masala. Some recipes use almonds while others do not.

Gosht Pasanda

1.5 lbs. boneless lean lamb, cut into 1/4 thick pieces that are 2 1/4 x 1 inches

Spice Rub:

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon garam masala

1/4 teaspoon ginger powder

1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder

1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder

juice of half a lemon

4 tablespoons oil

1 medium onion, finely chopped

1 tablespoon poppy seeds

2 tablespoons almond, blanched and slivered

6 small cloves of garlic

1.5 inches fresh ginger root

2 tablespoons warm water

2 black cardamom seeds

1 inch cinnamon stick

2 bay leaves

6 cloves

1 cup yogurt, whisked

1/4 cup water

1/4 cup cream

1/4 teaspoon cayenne

1 teaspoon garam masala

1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper powder

1. Preheat the oven to 275¢ªF. Rub the lamb pieces in the spices for the spice rub and the juice of the lemon. Set aside for an hour to marinade at room temperature.

2. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a heavy bottom pan. Take half the chopped onions and fry them in the oil for 15 minutes until light brown. Use a few drops of water every time the onions are sticking to the base of pan. Remove from pan and set aside.

3. Add the fried onions, the remainder of the raw onions, ginger, garlic, almonds and poppy seeds into a blender with 2 tablespoons of water and blend into a smooth paste.

4. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil into the pan and to the oil add the cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaves, and cloves. Fry for a minute over med hight heat. Add the blended paste and cook for 5 minutes. Add a few drops of water if the contents stick to the pan.

5. Add yogurt to the pan a tablespoon at a time. This keeps it from curdling. Once you have added all the yogurt, continue cooking for another 5 minutes. Some of the moisture from the yogurt will get reduced.

6. Add the lamb pieces and cook for another 5 minutes. The lamb will have some color to it and some of the fat will start to separate.

7. Transfer contents into a casserole. Add the cream and water around the sides of the dish. Sprinkle the cayenne, cardamom and the garam masala over the contents of the pan. Cover tightly and cook in the oven for 10 minutes.

8. Garnish with juliennes of ginger and serve hot with naan, parathas or even pita bread.

You asked for this did you not KJohn???

Keep us posted on how it comes... It is a great dish.

Sandra, I remember you posting somewhere that you liked this as well. You can skip the cream if you choose to make it lighter and add milk instead.

Ok, I tried it out. Overall, I was very happy with the results. There are a few things I'd like to correct/add. The spice balance was correct, but really needed an extra teaspoon of salt or more to bring out the flavors. The other thing that I thought I might change next time is to use butter instead of oil to give it a richer flavor overall. Also, I think some tomato might be a good addition, any thoughts on how to add that, Suvir?

Kristopher,

I am sorry I normally do finish with a teaspoon of salt. I forgot to add it. I wrote it as I was testing it just for you. My apologies. If you want to add the tomatoes, you can add the puree of one very ripe large tomato. Add it after you have added the yogurt.

Tradtionally in India it would be made with ghee. And restaurants simply use A LOT of oil.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will try it again with the tomato puree. I'm just used to having it with tomato - it also gives the dish a really beautiful color.

When you say a 'LOT' of oil, do you mean double, triple, more than this recipe?

When you say a 'LOT' of oil, do you mean double, triple, more than this recipe?

Triple or more. Really some people use a lot of oil and drain it at the end. I find that totally unappealing to me and my sensibilities and they find my alternative unworthy of their time.

I think 4 tablespoons is plenty of oil. Add the tomatoes... you will love it.

I bought butterflied leg of lamb. 5.99/Lb at Fairway. They wouldn't cut it down for me, so I ended up with 4 pounts of lamb. It was already pretty flat, but I had to cut it somehat thinner. Do you recommend another cut?

Since I still have an extra two pounds of lamb, I'm planning on cooking it again this weekend, w/ghee and tomato.

I bought butterflied leg of lamb. 5.99/Lb at Fairway. They wouldn't cut it down for me, so I ended up with 4 pounts of lamb. It was already pretty flat, but I had to cut it somehat thinner. Do you recommend another cut?

Since I still have an extra two pounds of lamb, I'm planning on cooking it again this weekend, w/ghee and tomato.

Do keep us posted on how it tastes with the tomato.

Thanks for sharing the details about the purchasing. :smile:

• 5 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...