• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gothenburg and Uppsala, Sweden

A good friend of mine is travelling to Gothenburg on business next week and needs advice on where and what to eat in the city.

Anyone here know the town well? Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Gothenburg is the Swedish capital of Seafood... So that's the things to eat over there. Shrimps, mackerell, scampi.. etcetra. The humble shrimp sandwich that's served at many places is one thing one must sample before leaving.

I'm not an expert on this city but would recommend Thörnströms a very nice french/swedish style restaurant, somewhat expensive restaurant, but indeed very great. Even though the bad website.

Edited by Hector (log)

• 2 weeks later...
I have not been there but from what I read Thornströms is a great rec. An institution for seafood in Gothenburg is Sjömagasinet. Very, very expensive but rumour has it that the restaurant is in very good form currenlty.  http://www.sjomagasinet.se/lang.asp?lang=eng

Also recommended currently is Fond http://www.fondrestaurang.com/

Sjömagasinet - for sure! Fantastic seafood. Truly amazing! Very much a "classic fine cuisine place". If you are looking for modern cooking, look elsewhere.

Smaka - for swedish comfort food. Very down to earth, but nice traditional cooking.

Bliss - for a fun meal. Modern, funky, euro-asian tapas cuisine and a bustling bar scene.

M2 - Across the street from Bliss. Also a modern type cuisine with high ambitions. For the rich and the beautiful. Very nice cooking, but not "star quality".

Fiskekrogen - Seafood. Almost as good as Sjömagasinet, but with a more rustique feel.

Heaven23 - Sky bar at the Gothia Hotel. Famous for their shrimp sandwich (which is amazing) and for their fab views of the city. Restaurant with high ambitions aswell.

This just in from my friend:

Went to Bliss last night here in Gothenberg. (Per the recommendation of your e-gullet friend)

AMAZING.

I took a consultant from the US there and she was blown away.

Tuna Tartar & salmon prosecutor, Smoked Aubergine soup, Saddle of Piglet, and Cherry Creme Brulee. All drizzled with wonderful sauces.

Incredible.

• 1 year later...

There's not much. Hamberg's Fisk may be the safest bet. They serve only seafood. The most acclaimed restaurant is Guldkanten. Not sure when they open again from the summer holiday break. The food is some experimental but not as much as Noma in Copenhagen. It is more formal and more expensive than Hamberg's. Other than those two there is nothing else know of that is worth what you will pay.

• 1 year later...

Ok here are two pieces of gossip i have heard Steffan Karlsson is to leave fond in gothenburg to start new hotel in småland!!! And Lief Mannerström is in the process of buying restaurant Kometen just off the avenue the main 'strip' in gothenburg. I have heard that he will do modern swedish classics and lots of stews etc!!!!!