• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dallas food stops for Montreal visitor (help!)

iharrison

Dallas foodies, I need your help.

A good friend of mine will be in your fair city for most of the summer and has no clue where to eat.

Where, in your opinion, would she be absolutely crazy, insane, to miss? What are the best restaurants in Dallas, from low-end hideouts to high-end joints? What are your favorites?

Help!

Lanny's Alta Cucina Mexicana in the museum district in Ft Worth is a do not miss

Abacus - dallad

La Duni - Dallas

Lola's - Dallas do not miss

Fireside Pies - Dallas

Asian Mint - Dallas

Dough Monkey in Snyder Plaza - great pastry shop with nice chef/owner

Lonesome Dove Bistro at the Stockyards in Ft Worth

Central Market - any one

Eatzi's - Dallas

Sapristi - Ft Worth

Aurora - Dallas, do not miss

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Arc-en-ciel- Vietnamese/Chinese in Garland. Fab Viet food and wonderful Dim Sum

First Chinese Barbecue- several locations, lovely barbecued pork and duck

Thai-rific- Forest and Web Chappel in Dallas. Just yummy all around. You will not have a bad dish here. Stuffed chicken wings, green curry, Tom Kha... its all good!

Thai Nipa- Lemmon near Oak Lawn Outstanding eggplant green curry, good Tom Kha

Bamboo Leaf-Preston near Campbell- Big rice noodles with pork and thai basil. I could eat this every day. I've not been in a couple years however, I hope they have kept up the quality!

Ginger Thai- Forest at Marsh. Perhaps the best Tom Kha.... I could bathe in this daily. They also have a teriffic home made hot sauce.

Dallul- Maple at Inwod- Ethiopian "dive" that really rocks and that will barely leave a dent in your wallet.

Alibaba café- Greenville Ave. Stellar Hummus and a fava bean dish that will make you want to lick the plate clean.

Café Istanbul- Lovers at Intwood-ish- Turkish food, not to be missed.

Madras Pavillion- Coit at Beltline. The best Dosas I've had. South Indian. All vegetarian selections but... WOW

The Saffron House- Beltline and the Tollway- Fine Indian Dining!

Wow, I can't beleive no one has mentioned Stephen Pyles newest creation.

Was he out of the game so long, people don't think of him? I've not been, but everyting I've read about it, has been GLOWING.

http://www.guidelive.com/portal/page?_page...L&item_id=38450

also, tell your friend that if they want the best piece of meat this side of Schwartz's Deli, to rent a car, drive 3 1/2 hours south, and go to Lockhart, TX. There, they'll find both Smitty's, and Kreutz BBQ. Not Montreal smoked meat, but defintely Texas smoked meat.

Wow, I can't beleive no one has mentioned Stephen Pyles newest creation.

Was he out of the game so long, people don't think of him?  I've not been, but everyting I've read about it, has been GLOWING.

http://www.guidelive.com/portal/page?_page...L&item_id=38450

also, tell your friend that if they want the best piece of meat this side of Schwartz's Deli, to rent a car, drive 3 1/2 hours south, and go to Lockhart, TX.  There, they'll find both Smitty's, and Kreutz BBQ.  Not Montreal smoked meat, but defintely Texas smoked meat.

I have heard negative things about Stephen Pyles. I will try it but there are other places I need to go first.

And I second the recommendation about making the BBQ Pilgrimage. It is the best, far better than anything you will find in DFW.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Rouge--upscale Tapas. Very fun and different. Killer mojitos.

York Street--Local, seasonal food.

Green Room--for their always fun Feed me, Wine me meal

Babe's Chicken--Fried chicken place we just tried. I'm about to start a thread on this one!

I second Lanny's and Thai-riffic. Richard Kilgore should be able to name some of the local taquerias he frequents that are a great experience.

And, yeah, your friend should make a weekend and go to Austin, but particularly just to sample 'cue in Lockhart. I've heard Austin is a neat little town, also. :wink: