• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cleansing a sick palate

I have reservations for Alinea's one year anniversary dinner this evening. We have friends flying in from New York to join us, unfortunately I have become ill. After taking lots of medication I am feeling better, however my palette is very cloudy and somewhat numb. Any suggestions for clearing or awaking it would be appreciated as I've been looking forward to this for a few months.

Jim

Jim, Hi....

If it is the medications that you are taking and those are responsible for the loss of sensation on your palate, probably little to be done. If it is merely the recovering from both being ill and the medications try the following in the order given:

(a) Brush your teeth and tongue well using your regular toothbrush and toothpaste. If your gag reflex is not too strong try to brush the roof of your mouth as well.

(b) If your nostrils are less responsive to aromas than is usual, try brewing some black tea and inhaling the steam from that. Be careful of course not to do this too close to the steaming tea!

© The first two steps can be done at home before leaving for dinner. When you do leave carry a fresh toothbrush with you (no toothpaste) and a small plastic bag of boiled but cold and unsalted rice. Before the first course makes its way to the table hie thee to the men's room, chew the rice, making sure you do so well and then spit it. After that brush both teeth and tongue with the toothbrush.

(d) If those do not help best you can do is order the most spicy foods on the menu!

Feel better and good luck.

Wow. That really sucks, I'm sorry to hear it. I don't have any advice, to offer, I just had to post my condolences, and I will never bitch about getting a cold for Thanksgiving again.

a method I have of heightening taste when ill is heinously inappropriate, but must be mentioned...blowing your nose into a napkin or tissue. Works well if your sinuses are a bit stuffed, if you have just had a mouthful of food you get a few seconds where tastebuds and olfactory senses connect and do their magic.

I do however understand that the anniversary dinner at alinea would probably be one of the last places to exercise this technique.

I will try all of the above. Nothing like smuggling a bag of cold rice into a $300.00 per person dinner.

Thanks,

Jim

So, tell us! Did it work?

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"