• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BBQ on the Turnpike

rooftop1000

Follow the 18-wheelers to the New Jersey Turnpike's Vince Lombardi Service Area and Dickey's Barbecue Pit Express for Texas-style brisket, fried okra and peach cobbler.

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcn...nFlZUVFeXkxNQ==

Has anyone been here?? Not my usual section of highway....

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Its a joke. Nothing to see here. Move along.

When I was a kid in Texas, Dickie's was actually a great barbecue place. Then they got the great idea to franchise and stamp out a bunch of third rate drive-thru places. Very sad.

So funny you should post that.. I take the GW everyday and was going to ask the same question.. There were several times I was tempted to stop.. Jason's word is good enough for me..

So I guess I will stick to my off the Thruway BBQ

thanks Jason

Tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Jason, have you ever actually sampled the stuff? (maybe he's been there without me) I know a few times, we've stopped at that rest stop (hint: they are usually a few days behind in raising gas prices) specifically to try Dickey's BBQ, they have been closed every time. So, are they permanently closed, or do they just have shorter hours than the Burger King?

Anyway, if you are really craving BBQ, Cubby's in Hackensack isn't that far from there. I would have sent you to Fink's or Stickey's but :sniff: you know the story.