• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh-cut Maple and Oak Trees for Chopping Blocks

BSK

I have just had two huge trees chopped down (40 ft. each of maple and oak). I have been trying to find out whether cutting slabs of them would work for chopping blocks - what would need to be done to prepare them. The woodcutters are coming tomorrow to chop them and I was thinking of having them cut them into 3-4" slabs each of which would be about 20-24" in "diameter." Is this reasonable - what would I have to do to be able to use them as chopping blocks?

I think you'd need to have them cut into thicker pieces first and then allow them to dry well before having them planed into the final chopping/cutting block thicknesses. They'll warp and/or split as they dry, won't they? I'm thinking at least 6" thick (maybe even 8") for a 3 to 4" thick final block.

You should give careful consideration to saving some slabs deep enough to have them turned down into bowls, too. Turned wooden bowls are lovely, and with that much wood you could have a selection of sizes, shapes and depths.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

They will crack and split in a heartbreaking way if they get too dry. Pack them in sawdust, lots of sawdust, keep them out of the sun, see what happens. Have them cut extra thick so if they warp you can flatten them with a router using a mortising bit riding on a frame around them. It might take months for them to fully dry, but the sawdust should keep them from drying too fast.

They will crack and split in a heartbreaking way if they get too dry. Pack them in sawdust, lots of sawdust, keep them out of the sun, see what happens. Have them cut extra thick so if they warp you can flatten them with a router using a mortising bit riding on a frame around them. It might take months for them to fully dry, but the sawdust should keep them from drying too fast.

I didn't know about controlling the rate at which they dry, but this makes sense. Thanks for adding that information.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

BSK, It might be worth your while to buy a moisture meter to measure the humidity of your wood. If you are in the US or Canada there are a number of shops that sell these and online I can recommend Lee Valley. I agree with packing the slabs in sawdust. Will you take the bark off? On it looks lovely and rustic but I'd de-bark. Also, I totally agree with Smithy about saving wood for turning.

If all this seems too much see if you can find a local woodturner or woodworker who would barter work for wood.

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

If the tree is a very large one, above 2 feet in diameter, make sure that the heart of the trunk is good throughout. My preference would be to take a 4' section of one of the largest branches (min. 16" diam.) and put it away for a year to let it dry and age. After it's properly aged, slice off some 4" rounds, debark, grind and sand down the surfaces. get rid of the chainsaw oil, etc. In all probability, it will check and split, even with these precautions.

Of course, my real preference would be to walk down to the store, pay my $30. and walk home with a chopping block. :rolleyes:

BSK,

Depending on where you live, you might be able to find a kiln-drying operation that will know exactly how to best preserve the wood for your purpose.

Some of these operations are quite small, they produce blocks for sculptors, carving blanks and etc.

And their fees are usually reasonable.

I know several sculptors who deal with this type of business.

The following sites might have more information for you.

DH kiln drying

wood info

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett