• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[DFW]Sprouts- New "Farmers Market" in North Dallas

nessa

There is a new store called Sprouts in the Marsh/Forest area in Dallas. It opened this last week.

http://www.sprouts.com/about/

Its part of a chain, but from what I've seen so far, I'm fairly impressed. They seem to have good produce, a rather nice selection of cheeses, from local area makers, bulk goods, vitamins and sups, bakery, lovely meat dept. etc.

The prices really were surprisingly good, though that might have been just for the opening week. I managed to ge boneless skinless thighs and breasts for $1.79 a pound. They had a lovely selection of sausages, a turkey meatloaf that was quite the hit, lamb at more than reasonable prices, and just all kinds of interesting things. I will certainly be shopping here instead of Tom Thumb and Central Market, for the most part. I do love CM but Sprouts is just around the corner! Some things I will still travel to CM for, but what a joy to have a healthy, quality choice so much closer!

Has anyone else been to Sprouts? What did you think?

There is a new store called Sprouts in the Marsh/Forest area in Dallas.  It opened this last week.

http://www.sprouts.com/about/

Its part of a chain, but from what I've seen so far, I'm fairly impressed.  They seem to have good produce,  a rather nice selection of cheeses,  from local area makers, bulk goods, vitamins and sups, bakery, lovely meat dept.  etc.

The prices really were surprisingly good, though that might have been just for the opening week.  I managed to ge boneless skinless thighs and breasts for $1.79 a pound.  They had  a lovely selection of sausages,  a turkey meatloaf that was quite the hit, lamb at more than reasonable prices, and just all kinds of interesting things.  I will certainly be shopping here instead of Tom Thumb and Central Market, for the most part.  I do love CM but Sprouts is just around the corner!  Some things I will still travel to CM for, but what a joy to have a healthy, quality choice so much closer!

Has anyone else been to Sprouts?  What did you think?

They have been open for several months in Plano. They have excellent produce and great weekly specials on meats. They have the same quality produce as central market at half the price.

Never trust a skinny chef

They have been open for several months in Plano.  They have excellent produce and great weekly specials on meats.  They have the same quality produce as central market at half the price.

Agreed. We've been shopping at the Plano location for months. We buy 95% of our produce at Sprouts now. Not only do they beat CM pricing, they beat any grocery store. Their bulk section is good too.

nessa, welcome back to the Texas section of eG. It has been a while since I have read your pieces. The next time I am down, probably in a couple of 3 weeks or so, I will have to check this place out. BTW, how is the new market downtown doing. I never hear anything about it. I don't remember the name.

Welcome also to Lee.

edited to correct spelling

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

nessa, welcome back to the Texas section of eG.  It has been a while since I have read your pieces.  The next time I am down, probably in a couple of  3 weeks or so, I will  have to check this place out.  BTW, how is the new market downtown doing.  I never hear anything about it.  I don't remember the name.

Welcome also to Lee. 

edited to correct spelling

It has been a while! Life is like that sometimes, don'tchaknow! I'm not sure what downtown market you are talking about? Sounds like I need to do some investigatin'! I've moved to a whole new <for me> section of town and there are lots of new places that need exploring! So far, no Taquerias, much to our chagrin.

I did a quick visit on Saturday and had a mixed reaction. The produce looks fine, though limited, and the bulk mixed greens are a good deal at $3.99. I picked up a pound of the Portugese sausage they had on sale and will report later on it. The cheese section looked pretty thin; better cheese at good prices at Sigel's Deli (Inwood just South of Beltline) and worth the short drive. In the prepared food aisles I ran across a bottle of balsamic vinegar marked with a great big "12", but closer inspection revealed a small, faint "stars". :angry: The bulk coffee was cheap at $5/lb, but looked oily and over-roasted.

It's not going to replace Whole Foods or Central Market, and my Kroger's even has a wider selection of produce, but if there's one in your neighborhood, it looks like a good option for day to day produce and other staples.

Yeah... I looked askance at the coffee. Its roasted somewhere in Arizona...... I just love the Addison roasters that CM uses for this area. They devote WAY too much room for vitamins and the like. The produce looks good, but if you want anything too exotic, you're not gonna find it there. But, did I mention the meats.......