• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moving from Manhattan (sob) to Teaneck

Artichoke

You can also head to Abma's farm they have a nice selection of items as well as market basket! Goodluck and welcome to New Jersey.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

As for smoked fish, there's got to be something closer, but if you are ever down in Millburn, check out the Tabatchnick's in the strip mall, just down from Syd's, another great experience.

'

Tabatchnick's? Have to respectfully and vociferously disagree! A shell of an unattractive store, smoked salmon is the "bargain" type (about $12/pound) and is pre-cut and pre-packaged. Very similar to ShopRite.

There just isn't good smoked salmon in NJ these days. Just tuck your chin up, get the EZPass ready, and go down to Zabars. Case closed.

As for smoked fish, there's got to be something closer, but if you are ever down in Millburn, check out the Tabatchnick's in the strip mall, just down from Syd's, another great experience.

'

Tabatchnick's? Have to respectfully and vociferously disagree! A shell of an unattractive store, smoked salmon is the "bargain" type (about $12/pound) and is pre-cut and pre-packaged. Very similar to ShopRite.

There just isn't good smoked salmon in NJ these days. Just tuck your chin up, get the EZPass ready, and go down to Zabars. Case closed.

From all I have read, I believe you are right. I shall have to rise early on the weekend, throw on a baseball hat and get into my car. Although instead of going to Zabar, I shall be going down the FDR to my regular smoked fish source, Sable's (1489 Second Avenue). If any of you NJ folks are ever in my neighberhood of the Upper East side, by all means check it out. The owner Kenny Sze was the Manager of the Appetizing department at Zabar's for 12 years before opening his own place. The quality is spectacular, smoked salmon, sturgeon, trout, mackrel and chubs. Herrings of all types including kippers, quality salmon roe, etc. All two block from me now, soon to be more than a bridges length away, I have to go, I am going get tears on my keyboard.

You can get your order custom sliced, and they have other smoked fish besides salmon. I don't really like any smoked fish, I like to get the herring in vinegar or cream sauce, personally.

For late night dining, that isn't a diner, go to Fort Lee. Late at night, there's no traffic and easy parking. There are several Korean joints that are open 24 hours.

• 2 weeks later...
... I noticed a small storefront place next to Migdalia's in Bergenfield the last time I was at Mi Pueblo but haven't tried it yet. Anybody have any impressions?

Answering my own question here- at least partially. Based on today's buffet lunch this little place merits more investigation. A few of the dishes were downright excellent- particularly the baby eggplant and the potatoes with peas- and they make their own pickles in house (again, particularly impressive). For a first impression it was a very good one- fwiw.

ETA: It's called Swad Indian Cuisine, at 4 Bedford Ave.

Edited by TongoRad (log)

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."