• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moving from Manhattan (sob) to Teaneck

Artichoke

RIVER VIEW EAST. Go. I love the nutmeg in the sauce, and the little drips of fat in the chili. Trust me. I wouldn't let you down!

i've been meaning to try this place. this cinches it.

and, so, you're another one of those people who claims J&H isn't as good as it "used to be". well, i ask, is *anything*? :biggrin:

Okay, I grew up in Fair Lawn. midnight or later, after going to a bar called the copper penny (no, I was not of age), we'd stop next door to J and H. Nothing Beat It.  "All the Way...still taste it the next day."

can i assume that you're not stranger to the Parker or maybe even Lift the Latch?

So, in search of the perfect dog, I discovered, in East Paterson (Elmwood Park) on River Street the best dogs with sauce...better than Rutts, Clixies, Goffle Grill, any of our Berge County famed dogs. RIVER VIEW EAST. Go. I love the nutmeg in the sauce, and the little drips of fat in the chili. Trust me. I wouldn't let you down!

i found myself driving through the EP today and stopped into the River View East. i had 1 all the way, and sat outside to enjoy it. it was quite good. right up there with F&J, and just different enough to set it apart. i could have spent the whole afternoon out there, staring at the trees, pretending to have a view of the river. i didn't, but i could have.

Produce - There's a great organic farm on old hook road, I'm guessing in Harrington Park, not sure. Anybody know for a fact?

I believe you mean Old Hook Farm (on Old Hook Rd) in Emerson.

Anyone else like Chez Cheeze in Tenafly? Great spot to pick up lunch too.

Okay, I grew up in Fair Lawn. midnight or later, after going to a bar called the copper penny (no, I was not of age), we'd stop next door to J and H. Nothing Beat It.  "All the Way...still taste it the next day."

can i assume that you're not stranger to the Parker or maybe even Lift the Latch?

So, in search of the perfect dog, I discovered, in East Paterson (Elmwood Park) on River Street the best dogs with sauce...better than Rutts, Clixies, Goffle Grill, any of our Berge County famed dogs. RIVER VIEW EAST. Go. I love the nutmeg in the sauce, and the little drips of fat in the chili. Trust me. I wouldn't let you down!

i found myself driving through the EP today and stopped into the River View East. i had 1 all the way, and sat outside to enjoy it. it was quite good. right up there with F&J, and just different enough to set it apart. i could have spent the whole afternoon out there, staring at the trees, pretending to have a view of the river. i didn't, but i could have.

The Lift the Latch???? Okay, more history than most need. After leaving a Seven Sisters school that shall be nameless, I wound up spending one semester at Bergen. Across the street, Lift the Latch. The best way to study was with a pitcher of beer and a mound of fries.

Glad you enjoyed the dog. Gee, I might have to make a trip this week for one!

Produce - There's a great organic farm on old hook road, I'm guessing in Harrington Park, not sure. Anybody know for a fact?

I believe you mean Old Hook Farm (on Old Hook Rd) in Emerson.

Anyone else like C'est Cheese in Tenafly? Great spot to pick up lunch too.

That's the farm. I like it!

If you're into growing all kinds of heirloom tomatoes, Old Hook Farm is also a great place to get tomato seedlings of all kinds. Great for herbs and various kinds of mint and stuff too. They should have all that stuff in the next two weeks.

Unfortunately they never tend to do that well in our backyard garden. The genetically engineered stuff from Home Depot Garden Store always tends to bear the best fruit!

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

If you're into growing all kinds of heirloom tomatoes, Old Hook Farm is also a great place to get tomato seedlings of all kinds. Great for herbs and various kinds of mint and stuff too. They should have all that stuff in the next two weeks.

Unfortunately they never tend to do that well in our backyard garden. The genetically engineered stuff from Home Depot Garden Store always tends to bear the best fruit!

That's the spot...just love it!

Chez Cheese-- food is OK, really overpriced, and most of the help has an "attitude". They'll do without my business.

Go 5 more minutes to Cresskill, and you have 2 excellent delis, Michael's, and Picnic Basket. Excellent stuff, all homemade.

Although I am sure she didn't want to toot her own horn, Picnicchef's place, Picnic in Emerson (about a 20 minute drive from Teaneck) http://www.picniccaterers.com is also an excellent place to get cheese. She can't keep a huge selection because of her size and she is more focused on catering, but what she does get in is excellent:

gallery_2_4_60822.jpg

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Although I am sure she didn't want to toot her own horn, Picnicchef's place, Picnic in Emerson (about a 20 minute drive from Teaneck) http://www.picniccaterers.com is also an excellent place to get cheese. She can't keep a huge selection because of her size and she is more focused on catering, but what she does get in is excellent:

gallery_2_4_60822.jpg

Nope, you know me...don't want to toot a horn. But, I have Abondance right now...raw cow from France, and a few other goodies, including an 80 percent butterfat, Delice from France not to mention a few that I have that only I have in the tri-state area...just the luck of the draw.. I dig cheese in a big way.

I hesitate to add a not-strictly-food post, but if Tommy can get away with talking about looking at trees whilst eating dogs, maybe I can do something similar:

Next time you're at Rutt's Hut to enjoy some of their dogs, take a very short drive a couple blocks up Delawanna to the corner of Vickers, & just gaze at the house there whilst chowing down, & ponder what its story may be. It is one of the most architecturally interesting houses I have encountered. It's worth the under-2-minute drive, trust me.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Since I recently asked about Chez Cheeze and a co-worker wanted to get lunch from there, I checked it out again a couple days ago. I ordered the #7 (Brie & Ham are the main ingredients), I received a completely different sandwich (caprese (mozz, tomato, basil, balsamic vinaigrette). I went back and they remade the sandwich and insisted I keep the wrong one too. So I ate half of each. The ham had no flavor; ditto the brie (under ripe); the mozz, I think was the brick variety, sliced on a machine; both sandwiches had too much condiment, too much vinaigrette on the caprese, too much sweet-course mustard on the ham & cheese. Both were on multi-grain bread, which was tasty. But both sandwiches were just not as good as I'd expect from a hi-end specialtly deli ($6 per sandwich on average). The only thing going for it is it is around the corner from my office. Better to walk the extra two blocks to the Stop & Shop next time I want a ham & cheese for lunch. I suppose if you just wanted to get good cheese, maybe I'd go back, but Tenafly Gourmet Farm has good cheese too. Of course, if I had the time to drive elsewhere for lunch, there are so many other places, but sometimes you only have the time to walk around the corner. Oh well.

Since I recently asked about Chez Cheeze and a co-worker wanted to get lunch from there, I checked it out again a couple days ago. I ordered the #7 (Brie & Ham are the main ingredients), I received a completely different sandwich (caprese (mozz, tomato, basil, balsamic vinaigrette). I went back and they remade the sandwich and insisted I keep the wrong one too. So I ate half of each. The ham had no flavor; ditto the brie (under ripe); the mozz, I think was the brick variety, sliced on a machine; both sandwiches had too much condiment, too much vinaigrette on the caprese, too much sweet-course mustard on the ham & cheese. Both were on multi-grain bread, which was tasty. But both sandwiches were just not as good as I'd expect from a hi-end specialtly deli ($6 per sandwich on average). The only thing going for it is it is around the corner from my office. Better to walk the extra two blocks to the Stop & Shop next time I want a ham & cheese for lunch. I suppose if you just wanted to get good cheese, maybe I'd go back, but Tenafly Gourmet Farm has good cheese too. Of course, if I had the time to drive elsewhere for lunch, there are so many other places, but sometimes you only have the time to walk around the corner. Oh well.

Just a 5 minute drive...

Chez Cheese-- food is OK, really overpriced, and most of the help has an "attitude". They'll do without my business.

Go 5 more minutes to Cresskill, and you have 2 excellent delis, Michael's, and Picnic Basket. Excellent stuff, all homemade.

I hesitate to add a not-strictly-food post, but if Tommy can get away with talking about looking at trees whilst eating dogs, maybe I can do something similar:

Next time you're at Rutt's Hut to enjoy some of their dogs, take a very short drive a couple blocks up Delawanna to the corner of Vickers, & just gaze at the house there whilst chowing down, & ponder what its story may be.  It is one of the most architecturally interesting houses I have encountered.  It's worth the under-2-minute drive, trust me.

I live very close to Delawanna Ave. What house are you talking about? Near the Train Station?

Next time you're at Rutt's Hut to enjoy some of their dogs, take a very short drive a couple blocks up Delawanna to the corner of Vickers, & just gaze at the house there whilst chowing down, & ponder what its story may be.  It is one of the most architecturally interesting houses I have encountered.  It's worth the under-2-minute drive, trust me.

I live very close to Delawanna Ave. What house are you talking about? Near the Train Station?

i'm guessing it's that "castle house". featured in Weird NJ over the years.

Yes it is. Didn't know Weird NJ had done it. I just discovered it after living just across the Passaic 15 years.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

Yes it is.  Didn't know Weird  NJ had done it.  I just discovered it after living just across the Passaic 15 years.

i couldn't find anything on it on their website, though. i googled my ass off for about 20 minutes and couldn't come up with anything, although i know that i've seen a pic of it on the internet in the past. i was tempted to drive down there yesterday to snap a shot. and grab a few dogs.

Ditto to all of the above.

Especially the dogs, now I'm jonesin' for some rippers.

I am getting married and because my fiance does not want to move until her son finishes high school, I am Teaneck bound for the next three years.

Don't say it like that! Teaneck is a very nice place to live and has an excellent school system. I myself am a product of both the township and the schools and am quite proud of it. Really, you could do much worse. And Manhattan is all of a 20 minute ride, even with a little traffic.

A lot has changed since I lived in Teaneck last, but there's great bagels and Butterflake bakery on Cedar Lane still, as far as I know. And there's even better fine dining than there ever was back in the day. I'm kind of sorry I can't afford to live there anymore... :rolleyes:

My issue with moving to Teaneck has nothing to do with whether or not its schools are good or whether it is a "nice place to live." The schools are good and parts of Teaneck are very pretty. It is a perfectly nice place to live if you enjoy a suburban lifestyle, but having been born and raised in Manhattan, I do not. Its not a judgement of which is better, it is simply a personal preference based upon how one was raised and what they are used to. You say I "could do much worse" I never understand that logic, its just a rationalization.

However, my issue is specific to food. Obviously it is not a fair comparison, but the fact of the matter is that with regards to having easy accsess to any ingredient created by G-D or man as well as with the greatest variety and quality of restaurants in the country, New York has no comparison.

Now, for someone for whom food is not of primary importance, I can appreciate a response of "who the hell cares." Yet food is my passion and has been since I recall having a conscious thought. I work hard at my vocation, so I can persue my avocation, which is food and cooking. For someone who cooks regularly, Manhattan is the Garden of Eden with regards to the quality, variety and proximity of ingredients.

As for dining out, aside from the obvious diversityof the New York dining scene, I do not have to settle for a diner if I work late, which I have to most evenings. If there is one thing that drives me crazy about suburbia, it is how early restaurants close. Surely some of you must eat past 10:00 PM.

Again, I am not knocking Teaneck or NJ for that matter, I have had some great food in that State (I have enjoyed many a great ripper at Rut's Hut) and Mr. Perlow has done a very good job of highlighting places I intend to try (China 46, Sakura Bana, etc.). It simply is a massive adjustment for someone born and raised in the City, and quite frankly the fact that I am going to have to drive into Manhattan if I want to pick up some quality smoked fish for a weekend brunch is a huge pain in the ass.

You are not the first to mention quality bagels in Teaneck, and so far I have not found them, Sammy's does not cut it. As for Butterflake bakery, I do not think it is good at all, however Patisserie St. Michael on Queen Anne Road, is fantastic and I am thankful for that establishment.

The Whole Food store in Edgewater has an excellent cheese dept. with a large selection as well as wonderful produce though their produce is mostly organic and therefore pricey but well worth the extra sheckels. Their fish has always been very fresh though not a big selection. We bought a beautiful piece of halibut there today for $11.99 per pound. Not bad.

Hank

I am getting married and because my fiance does not want to move until her son finishes high school, I am Teaneck bound for the next three years.

Don't say it like that! Teaneck is a very nice place to live and has an excellent school system. I myself am a product of both the township and the schools and am quite proud of it. Really, you could do much worse. And Manhattan is all of a 20 minute ride, even with a little traffic.

A lot has changed since I lived in Teaneck last, but there's great bagels and Butterflake bakery on Cedar Lane still, as far as I know. And there's even better fine dining than there ever was back in the day. I'm kind of sorry I can't afford to live there anymore... :rolleyes:

My issue with moving to Teaneck has nothing to do with whether or not its schools are good or whether it is a "nice place to live." The schools are good and parts of Teaneck are very pretty. It is a perfectly nice place to live if you enjoy a suburban lifestyle, but having been born and raised in Manhattan, I do not. Its not a judgement of which is better, it is simply a personal preference based upon how one was raised and what they are used to. You say I "could do much worse" I never understand that logic, its just a rationalization.

However, my issue is specific to food. Obviously it is not a fair comparison, but the fact of the matter is that with regards to having easy accsess to any ingredient created by G-D or man as well as with the greatest variety and quality of restaurants in the country, New York has no comparison.

Now, for someone for whom food is not of primary importance, I can appreciate a response of "who the hell cares." Yet food is my passion and has been since I recall having a conscious thought. I work hard at my vocation, so I can persue my avocation, which is food and cooking. For someone who cooks regularly, Manhattan is the Garden of Eden with regards to the quality, variety and proximity of ingredients.

As for dining out, aside from the obvious diversityof the New York dining scene, I do not have to settle for a diner if I work late, which I have to most evenings. If there is one thing that drives me crazy about suburbia, it is how early restaurants close. Surely some of you must eat past 10:00 PM.

Again, I am not knocking Teaneck or NJ for that matter, I have had some great food in that State (I have enjoyed many a great ripper at Rut's Hut) and Mr. Perlow has done a very good job of highlighting places I intend to try (China 46, Sakura Bana, etc.). It simply is a massive adjustment for someone born and raised in the City, and quite frankly the fact that I am going to have to drive into Manhattan if I want to pick up some quality smoked fish for a weekend brunch is a huge pain in the ass.

You are not the first to mention quality bagels in Teaneck, and so far I have not found them, Sammy's does not cut it. As for Butterflake bakery, I do not think it is good at all, however Patisserie St. Michael on Queen Anne Road, is fantastic and I am thankful for that establishment.

If you are looking for the best bagels in this area, you will have to take a trip to Wayne. There is a bagel store in the Shoprite Strip Mall that hand rolls their bagels. They are truly a real bagel, not the "bready bagels" that everyone seems to think are so great.

The place is called Sam's bagels.

I shop at Whole Foods in Edgewater because the quality is the best to be found in this area for fish, meats, and cheese and of course produce. Fairway in Cliffside is also good, in a pinch, but cannot compare to WF.

Haven't gotten over to Patisserie, as yet. My favorite bakery is in Dumont :Petite Patisterrie. However, I've heard here that St Michel is better. I'll have to give it a try.

I don't dine out much anymore. I've kinda gotten to the point where, if I buy good ingredients, I can cook just about as well as most restaurants in the Jersey Area. I dine out only for special ocassions, and the place I am looking forward to dining in June is at Restaurant Nicholas, in Red Bank.

Hope you can find a few places that suite you. China 46 is worth a trip. Just make sure you ask for the Chinese Menu. :-)

You don't have to ask for the Chinese menu at China 46, that's Hunan Cottage in Fairfield.

As for smoked fish, there's got to be something closer, but if you are ever down in Millburn, check out the Tabatchnick's in the strip mall, just down from Syd's, another great experience.

I understand your woes, as a former part-time Upper West Sider where Barney Greengrass was a skip away, as well as Fairway, Zabars, and the like. However, as you adjust to the joisey scene, you'll find that the adventure of a short drive and finding a hidden treasure has its own appeal. Really now, if we all agree there is good smoked fish in Glen Rock...well hey that's a 20 minute or so ride. No different than going down town to Union Square from the Upper East Side. As to restaurants open late, well, part of the whole suburban scene is that you, as Janice Joplin would say "get it while you can." You can eat late, sometimes, on weekends...pub fare works well on occasion. Good luck to you!