• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moving from Manhattan (sob) to Teaneck

Artichoke

I am getting married and because my fiance does not want to move until her son finishes high school, I am Teaneck bound for the next three years.

Northern New Jersey eGulleters, lend me your ears, I come before you a native Manhattanite fish out of water.

As a result of your past threads, I have already discovered (and thoroughly enjoyed) Patisserie St. Michael on Queen Anne Road, so, I have found my bakery. I have enjoyed sushi at Wild Ginger and very much want to try Sakora Bana (why does it close so damn early, even on weekends?) and have gorged myself at Picklelicious. However, the rest of my needs are many, I am forever indebted to you for any help you can offer. I realize this list is long, but I am coming in blind. While my future wife lives in Teaneck, she is not nearly as obsessive about food and cooking as I am.

Kosher butcher - While I am not kosher out of the home, my fiance's house is kosher, who is the best in the area in terms of quality, variety (carries an array of winged and hooved creatures, offal, chicken and calves feet, bones for stock, etc.) and ability to customize orders (cut a short rib to a specific size, thickness of steak, etc.)

Fish store - Obviously, who has the freshest catch.

Smoked Fish

Cheese - Who has the widest variety and ages their's properly.

Produce - Who has the freshest and widest variety of vegetables and fruits.

Wine Store - Who carries the broadest selection.

Specialty items - Spices, olive oils, olives, anchovies, capers, vinegar, etc.

Diners - Which is your favorite, any 24 hour ones?

Pizza - I can't be without good pizza

Indian

Asian - Korean, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese

Italian

Mexican

Thank you one and all for any help.

Kosher Butcher: In Teaneck itself on the main drag, being a big Orthodox town, there are several.

Fish store - Han Ah Reum, Ridgefield or Little Ferry. David's Fish in Teaneck.

Smoked Fish We don't really have a decent appetizing store in the area although there are several good bagel stores in Teaneck itself.

Cheese - Hard to say. Maybe Fairway in Fort Lee.

Produce - Han Ah Reum. Shop Rite in Englewood is also very good, for just about everything.

Wine Store - Total Wine in River Edge. But there are a lot of specialty stores in the area.

Specialty items - Arthur Avenue in the Bronx.

Diners - I'm currently partial to Tenafly Diner but only because it is close to me. Depending on where you are in Teaneck there's a couple of options.

Pizza - Full Moon in the Bronx. Or Kinchley's in Mahwah. Many people like Brooklyn Pizza in Hackensack/River Edge, but I think their sauce has no flavor and the pies need salt big time.

Indian Probably Indian Chef in the International Food Warehouse and its sister restaurant, Tandoori Chef, in Hackensack.

Asian - Korean (Lots and lots of choices, although I tend not to actually eat at Korean restaurants these days and buy all my stuff from Han Ah Reum to make it myself), Chinese (China 46 in Ridgefield, Lotus Cafe in River Edge), Thai (Wondee's and Bangkok Garden in Hackensack), Vietnamese (Mo Pho in Fort Lee and Saigon R. in Englewood). Sushi I reccomend Daruma in Englewood, Wild Ginger in Englewood, and Sakura Bana in Ridgewood

Italian Again, I go to the Bronx. There are a few old style places in South Hackensack but your mileage may vary.

Mexican La Batalla and Mi Pueblo in Bergenfield

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I didn't know there was a Fairway in Fort Lee- that's great to know. A lot of those Specialty Items can be gotten there (if it's anything like the one on Long Island). Jerry's in Englewood used to be really good for Cheese, though I haven't been in a few years.

Also add Kinara in Edgewater to the Indian list. I noticed a small storefront place next to Migdalia's in Bergenfield the last time I was at Mi Pueblo but haven't tried it yet. Anybody have any impressions?

Pizza - Full Moon in the Bronx. Or Kinchley's in Mahwah. Many people like Brooklyn Pizza in Hackensack/River Edge, but I think their sauce has no flavor and the pies need salt big time.

But it's all about the crust and the char. I think the roasted red pepper pie is the best thing to get there because the peppers almost melt into the sauce with all of that heat, solving the no-flavor problem :wink:

Other than that put me down for a big "what he said".

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Fairway in Fort Lee is not related to Fairway in NYC.

for cheese, the best that Bergen County has to offer is at the Cheese Shop in Ridgewood. well worth the drive from Teaneck.

for specialty items you might try the International Food Warehouse on rt 17 in or near Maywood.

Edited by tommy (log)

Smoked Fish We don't really have a decent appetizing store in the area although there are several good bagel stores in Teaneck itself.

I am surprised that with so many of my fellow Jews living in one area, no one has opened a store for smoked fish. Oh well, I guess I will be making some early Sunday morning fish runs into Manhattan.

Well, David's Fish may have some stuff as would many of the kosher bagel places. But we don't have "appetizing stores" per se that are on the level of what you get in Manhattan.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Jerry's in Englewood used to be really good for Cheese, though I haven't been in a few years.

Jerry's would not be a bad choice either.

for specialty items you might try the International Food Warehouse on rt 17 in or near Maywood.

Yeah, that's not a bad choice either, and the aforementioned Indian Chef is located in there if you want to get something to eat. Excellent tandoori items.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

As mentioned, be advised that the "Fairway" in Fort Lee bears little resemblance in any way nor is it affiliated with the NYC Fairways. It is a mediocre to half-decent deli/specialty store with some groceries;

As far as dining, as a Manhattanite, you will be disappointed. NJ Restos are for the most part overpriced and/or ordinary. The "red sauce" Italians proliferate on every corner. The best restos IMHO are along the Rockland border because of the more liberal liquor licensing laws in NY State. Relish, Xaviar's, and Citrus Grille are the standouts.

There is an exceptional NY-quality bakery, Balthazar. in Englewood. Top quality breads and french pastries.

Ethnic food is variable. Chinese restos in NJ suck as a rule.

Make sure your EZ pass is up to date for the GW Bridge!! :wink:

Just an addendum to others:

You might try the Kosher Nosh in Glen Rock for the smoked fish if that isn't too far afield for you. They're really good for everything so I imagine they would be good for this.

Cheese Shop in Ridgewood is closed last time I checked.

Bhoj in Elmwood Park is nice for a buffet Indian lunch. There is Kailash in Ridgewood(Thai and Indian).

Edited by dumpling (log)

it's open. i believe it changed hands a while back, but it is not closed.

i don't think kailish is exceptional in any way, and i'd hesitate sending someone there, especially if they have to pass wondee's and tandoori chef on the way.

Re/Cheese:

Jerry's has a small department, decent; WF in Ridgewood is bigger, but the prices are top dollar.

My favorite place for cheese in Bergen is Maywood Marketplace, Pleasant Ave (main drag) in Maywood. They don't have a service cheese dept, you can't "point and taste", but they have a large variety of cheeses, prepackaged in-house, and the prices are very good. If you know what you like or are adventurous, this is worth a stop. About 10 mins from Teaneck. Had a makeover about 6 monts ago, and their deli has been upgraded as well. Good place.

i don't think kailish is exceptional in any way, and i'd hesitate sending someone there, especially if they have to pass wondee's and tandoori chef on the way.

I would check and make sure on the cheese shop. I like Kailash. Haven't been to Tandoori Chef so can't say. Wondees is certianly good and have been there many times, but isn't Indian. Just listing potential Indian alternatives.

I would check and make sure on the cheese shop.

you should check and make sure on the Cheese Shop before you post that they are closed. :shock::wink:

i mention wondee's because you mention that kailish also serves thai food. i wouldn't go to kailish for either thai or indian over wondee's and Tandoori Chef. that's all i'm saying. my last meal at Kailish, in fact, was just horrible. perhaps they're not consistent. i have noticed a decline over the years.

perhaps in a way of clarification: i see an opportunity here. i see the purpose of this thread to clue a former NY'er in on the best that bergen county has to offer. our world class stuff, which, i think, we have. not to act as the yellow pages. maybe there's a fundamental difference in the way i view a thread like this and the way others do. that's fair enough.

Edited by tommy (log)

Kosher butcher - Harold's Kosher meats in Paramus. Very good.

Fish store - Peters, Midland Park. There is no other.

Smoked Fish - Kosher Nosh, Glen Rock. has a great selection

Cheese - The cheese shop in Ridgewood changed hands. I hadn't noticed they were closed. The quality seemed okay last time I was there. Selection not as nifty.

Produce - There's a great organic farm on old hook road, I'm guessing in Harrington Park, not sure. Anybody know for a fact?

Wine Store - Hands down the best selection of premium wines that are held correctly are at Wine and Spirit world in Ho-Ho-Kus. Knowledgable staff. Hard to find bottles.

Specialty items - There's nothing wrong with King's selection as far as I can see, and I use a heck of a lot of these products.

Diners - Just for the feel of things, nothing wrong with Bendix. Heritage in Hackensack has its charms as well.

Pizza - Stop by Turvino's after you pick up your smoked fish at Kosher Nosh. On the same block, different strip.

Mazel Tov on the wedding! Best wishes. Although I'm not real familiar with the Teaneck area, here are some other suggestions around Bergen County.

Kosher Butcher - Harold's in Paramus/Ridgewood (it's right on the border, but I guess it's technically Paramus). My mother used to go to his smaller Fair Lawn store when I was a kid (closed about 12 or 13 years now), and he was very good. I used to play with the cash register and he would yell at me. :raz: I will admit I haven't been there in years though, and I don't even know if Harold is still around (the man, not the store, which is still around). There is also a small kosher butcher in Fair Lawn called the Food Showcase.

Fish store - Not an expert on this one, so I have to abstain.

Smoked Fish - Go west, young man. Try the Kosher Nosh in Glen Rock or Petak's in Fair Lawn. (Petak's is closed Friday evenings and Saturdays.)

Cheese - I love cheese, but again, I'm not an expert on shopping for cheese. Market Basket in Franklin Lakes seems to have a nice selection though.

Produce - For quality, try King's supermarkets or Whole Foods. If you're a cheapo like me, try Food Basics in Glen Rock or Corrado's in Clifton (Passaic County, but close enough!)

Wine Store- Not a big drinker, but Bottle King (various locations) has a big selection and low prices.

Specialty items - Market Basket or Whole Foods

Diners - Land & Sea in Fair Lawn. Great food, great prices, open 24 hours.

Pizza - Brick's in Wyckoff or Aldo's in Glen Rock. I think Brick's may have a location in Tenafly as well. Great brick oven pizza. Brooklyn Pizza in Ridgewood and Hackensack is also very good, as others have mentioned. Turvino's in Glen Rock is very good too. Nellie's Place in Waldwick and Kinchley's Tavern in Ramsey make great bar pies. Don't really know of a lot of places around Teaneck though.

Indian - I lived with an Indian roommate for seven years, but ironically I have gone to very few Indian restaurants! Bhoj in Elmwood Park does a great lunch buffet. Indian Chef, in the International Food Warehouse/National Wholesale Liquidators building in Lodi, makes great takeout Indian food.

Asian - Again, not an expert on most of the subdivisions, but China 46 in Ridgefield is very good.

Italian - Don't know of a lot of high end restaurants, but Andrea's in Waldwick is great. Piccola Italia in Fair Lawn is also very good. Macaroni Grill in Ramsey is very good, although some may frown because it's a chain.

Mexican - My favorite place is El Norte, on Route 46 in Lodi. Monday nights all you can eat, $9.95, brought to your table. I go every two to three weeks. Other good places: Hacienda in Paterson, and El Bandito in Spring Valley, NY. (Again, not Bergen County, but close enough.)

Mazel Tov on the wedding! Best wishes. Although I'm not real familiar with the Teaneck area, here are some other suggestions around Bergen County.

Kosher Butcher - Harold's in Paramus/Ridgewood (it's right on the border, but I guess it's technically Paramus). My mother used to go to his smaller Fair Lawn store when I was a kid (closed about 12 or 13 years now), and he was very good. I used to play with the cash register and he would yell at me.  :raz: I will admit I haven't been there in years though, and I don't even know if Harold is still around (the man, not the store, which is still around).  There is also a small kosher butcher in Fair Lawn called the Food Showcase.

Fish store - Not an expert on this one, so I have to abstain.

Smoked Fish - Go west, young man. Try the Kosher Nosh in Glen Rock or Petak's in Fair Lawn. (Petak's is closed Friday evenings and Saturdays.)

Cheese - I love cheese, but again, I'm not an expert on shopping for cheese. Market Basket in Franklin Lakes seems to have a nice selection though.

Produce - For quality, try King's supermarkets or Whole Foods. If you're a cheapo like me, try Food Basics in Glen Rock or Corrado's in Clifton (Passaic County, but close enough!)

Wine Store- Not a big drinker, but Bottle King (various locations) has a big selection and low prices.

Specialty items - Market Basket or Whole Foods

Diners - Land & Sea in Fair Lawn. Great food, great prices, open 24 hours.

Pizza - Brick's in Wyckoff or Aldo's in Glen Rock. I think Brick's may have a location in Tenafly as well.  Great brick oven pizza. Brooklyn Pizza in Ridgewood and Hackensack is also very good, as others have mentioned. Turvino's in Glen Rock is very good too. Nellie's Place in Waldwick and Kinchley's Tavern in Ramsey make great bar pies. Don't really know of a lot of places around Teaneck though.

Indian - I lived with an Indian roommate for seven years, but ironically I have gone to very few Indian restaurants! Bhoj in Elmwood Park does a great lunch buffet. Indian Chef, in the International Food Warehouse/National Wholesale Liquidators building in Lodi, makes great takeout Indian food.

Asian - Again, not an expert on most of the subdivisions, but China 46 in Ridgefield is very good.

Italian - Don't know of a lot of high end restaurants, but Andrea's in Waldwick is great. Piccola Italia in Fair Lawn is also very good. Macaroni Grill in Ramsey is very good, although some may frown because it's a chain.

Mexican - My favorite place is El Norte, on Route 46 in Lodi. Monday nights all you can eat, $9.95, brought to your table. I go every two to three weeks. Other good places: Hacienda in Paterson, and El Bandito in Spring Valley, NY.  (Again, not Bergen County, but close enough.)

You gotta live in my neck of the woods. Read above! Almost all the same. Piccola, I cant forgive for burning down the plaza building years ago...

You gotta live in my neck of the woods. Read above! Almost all the same. Piccola, I cant forgive for burning down the plaza building years ago...

it's not a matter of location, but rather you both have very good taste and are willing to take a 20 minute drive to sate it. you've both saved me a lot of typing.

as far as turvino's goes though, i can't recommend a special trip. if you do, ask for thin crust. otherwise it's nellies, kinchleys, brooklyn's, aldo's, or maybe mangia trattoria next to Bottle King/Kosher Nosh/Turvino's in Glen Rock.

i find that i can do the "brick oven" neapolitan style at home better than most can, but, for bar pie-style, it's kinchley's and nellies all the way.

speaking of north jersey hot dogs, go to Johnnie and Hanges up 208 in Fair Lawn and get two "all the way." it's like nothing in NYC. except for maybe Crif Dogs, but they're just riffing on NJ dogs anywhos.

speaking of pork, the Pork Store in fair lawn is tops. don't even think about not going there at least once.

Re/ Kosher Nosh: Overpriced smoked fish, quality very middle of the road. Just get up early and hop over the GW to Fairway on the WS Hwy, or if you are really feeling good, to Zabars on the UWS. (The ultimate).

Tenafly Gourmet Farm actually has very good pricing on hand sliced smoked salmon. The problem there is that they don't know how to cut it very well, a much-needed skill.

I am getting married and because my fiance does not want to move until her son finishes high school, I am Teaneck bound for the next three years.

Don't say it like that! Teaneck is a very nice place to live and has an excellent school system. I myself am a product of both the township and the schools and am quite proud of it. Really, you could do much worse. And Manhattan is all of a 20 minute ride, even with a little traffic.

A lot has changed since I lived in Teaneck last, but there's great bagels and Butterflake bakery on Cedar Lane still, as far as I know. And there's even better fine dining than there ever was back in the day. I'm kind of sorry I can't afford to live there anymore... :rolleyes:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

it's not a matter of location, but rather you both have very good taste and are willing to take a 20 minute drive to sate it. you've both saved me a lot of typing.

as far as turvino's goes though, i can't recommend a special trip. if you do, ask for thin crust. otherwise it's nellies, kinchleys, brooklyn's, aldo's, or maybe mangia trattoria next to Bottle King/Kosher Nosh/Turvino's in Glen Rock.

i find that i can do the "brick oven" neapolitan style at home better than most can, but, for bar pie-style, it's kinchley's and nellies all the way.

speaking of north jersey hot dogs, go to Johnnie and Hanges up 208 in Fair Lawn and get two "all the way." it's like nothing in NYC. except for maybe Crif Dogs, but they're just riffing on NJ dogs anywhos.

speaking of pork, the Pork Store in fair lawn is tops. don't even think about not going there at least once.

Wow, I have similar tastes to some of the big whig senior member chefs here. I'm honored! :biggrin:

Agree about Johnny and Hanges too. Probably the best hot dog place in Bergen County, although some would argue Rutt's Hutt and Hot Grill in Clifton are better. And we all know that Amazing Hot Dog in Verona is going to be legendary!

As far as the Swiss Pork Store, I went there for the first time ever a few months ago. (I couldn't go when I was younger because my parents kept kosher. :sad: ) Very good stuff, at reasonable prices. And then you have the kosher store, The Food Showcase, a few doors down. OK stuff (my mother went here once Harold's in Fair Lawn closed), and certainly not reasonable prices, but OK if you need kosher. (Harold's was much better though.)

P.S. I got to go to Picnic a few weeks ago too. I got a chef's special lunch (roast beef, cheese melted on rustic bread) and macaroni and cheese. It was fantastic! I'll be back!!!

Glad you like the pork store. It is my favorite, and actually, we frequently feature their items at Picnic. Their Salami, Veal loaf, bangers. But, back to Johnny and Hanges. I have to give a very STRONG opinion here.

Okay, I grew up in Fair Lawn. midnight or later, after going to a bar called the copper penny (no, I was not of age), we'd stop next door to J and H. Nothing Beat It. "All the Way...still taste it the next day."

When they opened in my town, I was thrilled. Not so, now. It was NOT the same. So, in search of the perfect dog, I discovered, in East Paterson (Elmwood Park) on River Street the best dogs with sauce...better than Rutts, Clixies, Goffle Grill, any of our Berge County famed dogs. RIVER VIEW EAST. Go. I love the nutmeg in the sauce, and the little drips of fat in the chili. Trust me. I wouldn't let you down!