• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My Vancouver Eating Itinerary

I will have (3) days in Vancouver later this month and I want to eat dim sum every day. I'm going to try Kirin and Sun Sui Wah. Please tell me where to go for the 3rd day.

I'm also going to try Landmark for Hot Pot. I also want some Roast Goose. Should I assume that most Chinese BBQ joints will have goose? I'd also request a rec for a good homestyle Cantonese meal. Thank you.

Are you limited to Vancouver or will you have transportation available to travel to Richmond?

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Actually - I can't think of a place that serves goose - duck you will find everywhere.  I would stick with places in Richmond - as Mooshmouse asked - can you travel there?

In the meantime - check out the Chinese in Vancouver thread.  I've started it on the last page.

I'm staying in downtown but I will have a rental car. Richmond is on my list of places to visit. I will check out that thread too.

You sound like you know your way around Chinese food. Landmark is a good choice for Hotpot.

If you comfortable with ordering dim sum a la carte - I would stick with Kirin (on Cambie or in Richmond), Gingeri (in Richmond), Jade (in Richmond), or Shiang Garden (in Richmond). You may want to think about having Shanghainese dim sum/lunch - Shanghai River is good choice as is Shanghai Wind - both of which are in Richmond. Also Golden Schezwan is also good (take a look at some of the recent photos in the Chinese thread).

For higher end Cantonese cooking - I would try Sea Harbour, Jade, or Gingeri. For closer to home cooking - Koon Bo - which btw has great roasted duck.

You sound like you know your way around Chinese food.  Landmark is a good choice for Hotpot. 

If you comfortable with ordering dim sum a la carte - I would stick with Kirin (on Cambie or in Richmond), Gingeri (in Richmond), Jade (in Richmond), or Shiang Garden (in Richmond).  You may want to think about having Shanghainese dim sum/lunch - Shanghai River is good choice as is Shanghai Wind - both of which are in Richmond.  Also Golden Schezwan is also good (take a look at some of the recent photos in the Chinese thread).

For higher end Cantonese cooking - I would try Sea Harbour, Jade, or Gingeri.  For closer to home cooking - Koon Bo - which btw has great roasted duck.

I can get by OK speaking Cantonese. I prefer dim sum places with trolleys. As long as I'm asking for tips, any rec's within reasonable walking distance from the Hyatt?

For Chinese

Victoria Chinese is at the bottom of the Hyatt and has pretty decent dimsum. Kirin (on Alberni - the best of the downtown options) is also nearby as is Imperial (which the least favorite of mine). Shanghai Bistro right beside Kirin - which has good HK style Northern Chinese. There is a hotpot place downtown - don't go even though is close by. Also - there is a Hon's nearby - which I really dislike - you've been warned.

Since you are downtown - there is very good Japanese Izakaya and Korean also nearby.

If you comfortable with ordering dim sum a la carte - I would stick with Kirin (on Cambie or in Richmond), Gingeri (in Richmond), Jade (in Richmond), or Shiang Garden (in Richmond).  You may want to think about having Shanghainese dim sum/lunch - Shanghai River is good choice as is Shanghai Wind - both of which are in Richmond.  Also Golden Schezwan is also good (take a look at some of the recent photos in the Chinese thread).

For higher end Cantonese cooking - I would try Sea Harbour, Jade, or Gingeri.  For closer to home cooking - Koon Bo - which btw has great roasted duck.

Having recently been to both Jade and Kirin's Cambie Street location, I'd give the definite nod to Kirin. Dim sum there was head and shoulders above Jade's. And I've never been as big a fan of Gingeri as canucklehead is; I prefer Shiang Garden myself with its outstanding char siu bao. Shanghai River is more cool and upscale, whereas Shanghai Wind is your proverbial hole in the wall that's always packed to the gills. Both good on their own merits.

If you end up at Sea Harbour for dinner, be sure to order the Dungeness Crab, Pumpkin (Kabocha Squash) and Black Bean Hot Pot. It's my favourite item on their menu together with the Chicken served with Chayote and Preserved Vegetables.

And, if it's good mango pudding you're looking for, Shanghai Chinese Bistro downtown (also mentioned by canucklehead) serves the creamiest version with strips of real mango throughout. Heaven in a bowl.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

why only chinese?

I think after a weeklong cruise with no Chinese food I will have a big craving for it. I've also heard so much about the great Chinese food in Vancouver. I want to compare it with the food I eat in Monterey Park/Alhambra/San Gabriel.

Thanks to everyone (especially canucklehead) who has responded with suggestions. Keep em coming!

There's a whole corridor of dim sum around Kingsway and Slocan-ish. Most of them charge $2 per plate no matter what size they are, providing you pay cash. We tend to go to Tsui Yuen a lot.The downside is that they're a little dingier than you might like.

Fisherman's Terrace in Richmond also comes highly recommended.

If you're going to branch out into Shanghainese I'd recommend Golden Great Wall at Broadway and Heather for having a varied menu that's tasty and cheap.

edited to say: I forgot to add Floata in Richmond or Chinatown. They're not bad for the price, and they're the only place that I can think of that serves a whole roasted suckling pig.

If you're into that kind of thing. :biggrin:

Edited by Claudiak (log)

I will have (3) days in Vancouver later this month and I want to eat dim sum every day. I'm going to try Kirin and Sun Sui Wah.  Please tell me where to go for the 3rd day.

I'm also going to try Landmark for Hot Pot.  I also want some Roast Goose.  Should I assume that most Chinese BBQ joints will have goose?  I'd also request a rec for a good homestyle Cantonese meal.  Thank you.

In my opinion, Top Gun in Richmond serves the best Dim Sum in Greater Vancouver at the moment, reservations a must - Top Gun Chinese Seafood 4151 Hazelbridge Way, Richmond, BC 604-273-3298

Sea Harbour Seafood Restaurant is also very good, a close second. Sea Harbour Seafood Restaurant, 3711 No.3 Road, Richmond, B.C. 604-232-0816

Top Gun and Sea Harbour really are much better than the dim sum joints in downtown. They cater to the competitive market in Richmond instead of luring the tourists and business lunch crowd.

Sun Tung Kee in Richmond is as good, if not better than Landmark for Hot Pot - Sun Tung Kee Hot Pot Restaurant 8580 Alexander, Richmond, BC 604-207-0386

PS Other Chinese/Asian recommendations:

If you feel like some very casual Cantonese dishes, try Congee Noodle House. It's the thinking man's Hon's - Congee Noodle House. 141 E Broadway, Vancouver , BC 604-879-8221

Feel like some Hainan Chicken Rice? Try out - Cafe D'Lite 3144 W. Broadway, Vancouver, BC 604-733-8882. Their deboned chicken rice dish is one of the best in the world.

If you like authentic Taiwanese cuisine and don't mind a very casual setting, Kalvin's Restaurant has the best tea smoked duck dish in town (similar to the roasted duck but more tender and tasty - even better than Koon Bo's duck) - Kalvin's Restaurant 5225 Victoria Drive Vancouver, BC 604-321-2888

Of course, Vancouver is quite famous for its Vietnamese cuisine too, have fun!

Edited by mangez (log)

Fisherman's Terrace in Richmond also comes highly recommended.

I have heard very good things about Fisherman's Terrace also - but my mother and brother went and said that the service was absolutely abysmal. New lows in rudeness and inattentiveness that really left the table breathless. Not sure if it was a one off - but it really ruined the meal for them.

In my opinion, Top Gun in Richmond serves the best Dim Sum in Greater Vancouver at the moment, reservations a must - Top Gun Chinese Seafood 4151 Hazelbridge Way, Richmond, BC 604-273-3298

Sea Harbour Seafood Restaurant is also very good, a close second. Sea Harbour Seafood Restaurant, 3711 No.3 Road, Richmond, B.C. 604-232-0816

Top Gun and Sea Harbour really are much better than the dim sum joints in downtown. They cater to the competitive market in Richmond instead of luring the tourists and business lunch crowd.

Top Gun is one of the original high end places that opened in Richmond - it has moved and I have not gone since. I am glad to hear that it still rates highly - Vancouver has also mentioned that it is quite good. Sea Harbour is one of favorite places - pricey but quite good. I have not had dim sum there - but dinner is very very good. And unfortunately - it is true that the Richmond places are generally much better than the downtown dim sum joints. If driving around is an issue - Kirin on Cambie and 12th is a excellent compromise.

But you must be used to driving all over the place in LA. I have friends who will make the trek from the Studio City into Monterey Park just to get to the noodle shop that they like.

If you feel like some very casual Cantonese dishes, try Congee Noodle House. It's the thinking man's Hon's - Congee Noodle House. 141 E Broadway, Vancouver , BC 604-879-8221

I think that Congee Noodle is very good also - especially the congee and rice noodle dishes (cheung fun and chai leung). I went to their new location on Kingsway and Joyce - and the rice tamale (chung) was good also - though I am not a fan in general of chungs.

The front room is a clean new bright space - however, the bathroom and kitchen must be the most FILTHY I have ever seen. You know when a bathroom is soooooo stinky that you don't know whether to breath through your mouth (which means you are breathing more of the disgusting air) or through your nose (which means you are getting a full dose of the stink). It actually left me a little dizzy.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

I'd eat at either the Imperial or Pink Pearl. First choice Imperial for the great service and multi lingual staff and the view of the North Shore mountains.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I don't mind driving for good food. The traffic can't be any worse than it is in LA. I probably won't try Sea Harbour. I've been to the branch located in Rosemead. I had a very good dinner there. I appreciate all the suggestions...can't wait to try these restaurants and get my fix of Tim Horton's donuts. :smile:

While Pink Pearl used to be very good for dim sum in the 80's, I'm not too sure about it now. I'd much rather go further east on Hastings to International Chinese restaurant. It's definitely not a very fancy place (and not one that caters to Caucasian people), but the food was excellent when I went. Here's a link to a blurb I wrote about it.

http://nancyland.blogspot.com/2005/09/dim-...al-chinese.html

I've heard good things about a place off W. 41st Ave, and E. Boulevard (Arbutus St. becomes this street). Upstairs. Ocean something. I've been there for dinner which was really good.

Hmmm...three days of dim sum in a row though...won't you get sick of it?

Nancy

get my fix of Tim Horton's donuts.  :smile:

Skip Timmy's and check out Lee's Doughnuts in the Granville Island Market. Hand made and the real thing. Honey dipped.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

:smile:

While Pink Pearl used to be very good for dim sum in the 80's, I'm not too sure about it now.  I'd much rather go further east on Hastings to International Chinese restaurant.  It's definitely not a very fancy place (and not one that caters to Caucasian people), but the food was excellent when I went.  Here's a link to a blurb I wrote about it. 

http://nancyland.blogspot.com/2005/09/dim-...al-chinese.html

I've heard good things about a place off W. 41st Ave, and E. Boulevard (Arbutus St. becomes this street).  Upstairs.  Ocean something.  I've been there for dinner which was really good.

Nancy

Hi Dumpling Girl, I don't think I'll be sick of it. I was in Guangzhou last year and had it 5 days in a row. :smile:

While Pink Pearl used to be very good for dim sum in the 80's, I'm not too sure about it now.

I've heard good things about a place off W. 41st Ave, and E. Boulevard (Arbutus St. becomes this street).  Upstairs.  Ocean something.  I've been there for dinner which was really good.

Nancy

I would skip Pink Pearl - there are TONS of great dim sum restaurants waiting for you in Richmond! Just take a look at the Chinese food thread for ideas.

That place on W. 41st off E. Boulevard is Golden Ocean. It's really busy though, so it's best to make reservations. I was just there for dinner on Mother's Day. Highlights include the deep-fried "long lei" fish (deboned, the bones are also deep-fried), honey garlic spareribs (nice & meaty, a nice change from the usual bones or deep-fried batter), garlic pea shoots (really tender), scallops with Chinese kale ("gai lan"), and baked tapioca pudding with red bean (which needs to be preordered).

Just a heads up - my mother went to Sea Harbour for dim sum just this past weekend and said it was not very good and pretty pricey to boot. I have no first hand knowledge - but I just wanted to let you know. I've been for dinner - and it is always very good - so this bad report is surprising.