• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

coconut chutney

mikeczyz

My favorite chutney in the whole wide world.... maybe tomatco chutney and gongura chutney come close... But coconut chutney is amazing.

Mike, chutneys can add heat or calm the heat.. depending on if they are served hot, sweet or sweet and sour.

Have you had coconut chutney before? What was it like?

I love it with Dosai (Indian style crepes made with rice and beans) and Idlis (rice and bean steamed cakes). I also like it both plain where it is spicy but all coconut and at other times I love it with cilantro and or mint added to the coconut with all the spices.

You can make it with fresh coconut and or dried dessicated coconut.

I have equal success with both. Most friends, even the most tedious and clever can never find out the difference.

Indian stores have dessicated coconut available. It is sold either ground or dessicated. You can use either. The dessicated one would be somewhat better for it gives a better texture. More coarse.

Dessicated coconut in Indian stores is usually not sweetened. Unless of course you but it identified as such.

I always keep this handy in the freezer. I often even make my own coconut milk using dessicated coconut. Most often, the milk is even tastier than you usual Goya coconut milk.

i had it once served with dosas. it was kinda sweet, a little savory. i swear i tasted a bit of ginger in it. it was delicious though. i usually hate coconut, so this was a nice change of pace. is there a good book available about chutneys? there seem to be so many different variations.

mike

I am not aware of a book you can buy just on chutneys.. maybe we should do a thread on them... want to start one.. I am sure everyone that browses around .. can share a recipe.. and soon we can have our own collection.

Coconut Chutney:

Coconut

Ginger

very small amount of onion

yogurt

asafetida

black peppercorn

dry whole red chili

cumin seeds

fenugreek seeds

curry leaves

mustard seeds

urad dal

chana dal

I take the coconut and blend it into a thick chunky sauce using yogurt.

In very little ghee or oil, I fry all the spices and the two dals. When the urad dal (white gram bean) is gloden in color and the mustard seeds begin to crackle, I add the mix into the coconut paste and blend till smooth.

If you are adding mint or cilantro, you can add them with the coconut and yogurt and blend.

Add salt to taste.

That is the very basic recipe. I will see if I can make some in the next few days.. Will then measure and give you a working recipe.

Coconut Chutney

1 cup coconut, fresh or desiccated

1/2 cup yogurt (additional 1/4 cup milk if using desiccated coconut)

1 inch fresh ginger root

1 tablespoon chopped onion

1 jalapeno pepper

1/4 cup cilantro leaves, optional

2 tablespoons mint leaves, optional

Tempering:

2 tablespoons ghee or canola

1 teaspoon mustard seeds

1 teaspoon chana dal

1 teaspoon urad dal

1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds

1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns

1/8 teaspoon asafetida

15 fresh curry leaves, or 20 dry

1 dry whole red chile pepper

1. In an electric blender add the yogurt with coconut, ginger, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and mint. Blend until finely pureed. Leave in blender.

2. Heat the ghee or canola in a very small frying pan. When oil is hot, add the mustard seeds and chana dal. When the seeds begin to splatter add the urad dal and the remainder of the ingredients. Fry until the dal and cumin seeds are a nice golden color.

3. Immediately pour the ghee into the blender and blend for another few cycles. Pour the contents into a bowl. Add salt and taste.

4. Refrigerate and serve the chutney chilled. The chutney keeps for at least a couple of days.

Note: If you need more liquid to blend the ingredients, add more yogurt or milk.