• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ostrich in Vancouver

Last night I tucked into an ostrich carpaccio marinated in 20-year old Sherry at Chambar. Though delicious, the flavour of the meat was restrained by the marinade. I felt teased.

I...must...have...more...ostrich.

10 years ago this month I had the weird fortune of going ostrich hunting in Africa's Karoo desert. It was a very bloody afternoon. The ostrich we zeroed in on and took down was felled by a metal stirrup wielded by my host on horseback (going full tilt).

The flightless lump, now thoroughly dead, was tossed on an impromptu bonfire to burn its feathers off, and then savagely butchered. We drank Castle Lager and roasted the birds bits and pieces well into the night, using only salt and peri peri sauce for seasoning.

It remains one of the most memorable meals I've ever had. It's astounding we don't see more ostrich dishes on our menus, especially considering its low fat content and excellent flavour.

I have two questions: do any restaurants in Vancouver serve ostrich so simply that its natural flavours shine through? I've heard the food costs were high, but are they prohibitively so? Pray tell who serves it, and why you don't...

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Ostrich is one of our favourites. We usually stock up in the summer when Goldwing Farm sets up shop at the Farmer's Market in Vancouver. I have seen ostrich served in some Chinese restaurants (e.g. Mui Garden). Congee Noodle House at E. Broadway and Main serves an Ostrich congee.

Edited by bccoati (log)

The Congee house on Main and 15th also has Ostrich. Unfortunately it also had a shooting last week (doh).

Congee noodle house also serves seabass congee (my favorite) but I've been avoiding it to try to be oceanwise.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

The Congee house on Main and 15th also has Ostrich.  Unfortunately it also had a shooting last week (doh).

I thought ostrich was out of season ... but it's kinda cool they kill their own.

A.

It seems more common than you think on Chinese restaurant menus. I have not seen it any where else yet. Idea! I'll order some from Hill's Foods and cook it for you and the clan in return for some more horrid :smile: stories from downunder.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

The last time I had ostrich was many years ago at Villa del Lupo; but I think it is no longer on the menu. As I recall, Don Francesco has a Wild Game menu and Ostrich is on it among other meats such as Bison, wild boar, reindeer, etc.

we had some ostrich dish for dinner at Fortune House at Metrotown...it was like a beef stir fry, except with strips of ostrich instead of beef.

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

It is also available at some Thai restaurants like Chili House on Beach. They do ostrich satay, ostrich lettuce wraps, and 2 or 3 ostrich curries. You could do an all ostrich meal!

Cheers!

Edited by Vancouver (log)

Seared rare Ostrich appeared on many Vancouver Island menus (since it's raised locally) several years ago - but now appears to have gone out of fashion.

Memo

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

I remember eating it several years ago at Daimo on Granville around 70th? Just off the Arthur Laing bridge, in the same complex as the Dairy Queen.

I've also had it at stir-fried at several Chinese restaurants.

(-Ling, too lazy to log-out)

I'd tell you two to get a room, but it seems you already have. :hmmm:

Ostrich ... ummm ... wife loved it when she was in South Africa. She keeps trying to get my to try it, but I have memories of that episode of "Mad About You" (Paul Reiser & Helen Hunt) where Paul eats the ostrich and has all these wierd dreams.

Did try kangaroo however. Delish!

A.

Did try kangaroo however.  Delish!

Ostrich is really very much like beef to me. But it's softer and has a bit more of a gamey flavour. I really like it actually. So good in congee mm with some preserved egg!

Kangaroo I have no tried. Although I was tempted when Storman's had it on their menu (the 'roo burger' it was called).

Then my neighbour went off on a tantrum about how cute Kangaroos are and I had to tune her out. I'm equal opportunity. I eat ugly and cute all the same.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

The Hart House serves a Rolling Hills Ranch Ostrich with Thyme Risotto and Sun Dried Blueberry demi glace.

Only until Sunday, though, so book fast.

The belly rules the mind.

Someone else posting on it reminded me- the ostrich carpaccio at Chambar would be a great place to start, Andrew

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza