• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Road Trip V

Its about that time again.. We have rented a convertible and will be heading from Key West to Manhattan.. We have never been there and are obviously very excited..

We'd like to hear what stops can't be missed between Key West and Manhattan...we'll be travelling mostly on US1 during the day making stops at various recommended places. However we will be hitting I95 from time to time as well. Love to hear your recommendations! A big help so far on this trip is HollyEats.com.

Besides the five days, we have a reservation at the end of our trip at the Inn at Little Washington.. Other then that, we have no plan.. Would love to hear about best cities to sleep in also..

Thanks for your help as always..

Edit to add :

Trip 1 Vegas to Manhattan

Trip Deux LV TO NYC

Road Trip III LV TO NYC

Road Trip IV Seattle to Mexico TO NYC

Unofficially trip 5 NY TO Maine and Back

Edited by Daniel (log)

Three Pigs BBQ in Brunswick, GA- think it is exit 29 - the first Brunswick exit on I-95 N. the best coleslaw, pulled pork sandwiches and Brunswick stew(even if they use chicken). buy extra sauce - you can drop some off here in nj, daniel.

there are a couple of other restaurants we ate at that were good - one was at the foot of the seven mile bridge and the other was just before key west and jimmy buffet hangs out there... will get the names for you.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Its about that time again.. We have rented a convertible and will be heading from Key West to Manhattan.. We have never been there and are obviously very excited..

We'd like to hear what stops can't be missed between Key West and Manhattan...we'll be travelling mostly on US1 during the day making stops at various recommended places. However we will be hitting I95 from time to time as well. Love to hear your recommendations! A big help so far on this trip is HollyEats.com.  

Besides the five days, we have a reservation at the end of our trip at the Inn at Little Washington.. Other then that, we have no plan.. Would love to hear about best cities to sleep in also..

I don't know how much of this trip you've done before - but US1 is pretty dismal for most of the trip - and slower than I95. I'd probably alternate between I95 and roads that are smaller and slower than US1 (like A1A in Florida - which is nice in NE Florida).

Don't know how much mileage you plan to do each day - but I'd recommend St. Augustine as a dining/sleeping stop in NE Florida if you've never been there before. As for stops in Georgia and/or the Carolinas - again it depends on how much time you plan to take going north. I recommend taking the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel route instead of I95 once you get to the mid-Atlantic states. Robyn

P.S. I am a little confused - you said your trip was from Key West to Manhattan and that you'd never been there before - but your profile location is in Manhattan. Is your trip from Manhattan to Key West?

Edited by robyn (log)

I think the restaurant that suzilightning is talking about is the Georgia Pig. The pork is actually chopped - not pulled. I know it is a "big deal right-off-I95 attraction" - and my husband likes the pork sandwiches - but I don't much like the place because it stinks to high heaven from sulfur water. So bad that you don't even want to wash your hands in the bathroom. So bad they don't dare make iced tea! But it's hard to go wrong when you're making a 20 minute stop for a sandwich.

On my part - I like the Western Sizzlin' in Pooler Georgia (a little north of Savannah about a mile off of I95) if you happen to be passing through at lunch time on Sunday (there's a veritable feast of southern vegetables for "after-church supper"). There is also a pretty good Western Sizzlin' off I95 in Florence SC. I know this chain is pretty dismal up north - but it is frequently good for southern veggies in the deep south. Robyn

Thanks for your help Robyn.. We are flying from Vegas to Key West and then driving back to Manhattan..

OK - that explains it - I was confused :smile: .

We've made the trip from south Florida (where we used to live) and north Florida (where we live now) up north (to various points - especially North Carolina - because that's where my husband's folks used to live) many times before.

Frankly - most of the trip along I95 or US1 is a big bore. Don't know how much time you want to take for the trip - or how far away from the I95 corridor you want to get - but the best overnights for overall ambience/eating are St. Augustine and Savannah. Maybe Fernandina Beach. There are other nice places - like some of the islands off the Georgia Coast - and Charleston - but they are kind of far away from I95 for an overnight (although Jekyll Island isn't that bad).

Perhaps I am partial (because it's in my backyard) - but I like St. Augustine. It's an easy 2 day trip from Key West - you can arrive early and do some sightseeing - and then eat at Opus 39.

In terms of the first night - I recommend Palm Beach (although it's a fairly long drive from Key West). I think it's a neat place - it has some very good eating - like Cafe Boulud - and you should be able to get low season rates now.

If you have time for a 2 night stop - I'd proceed to Charleston for the next 2 nights if you've never been. There is certainly plenty to keep you busy there in terms of sightseeing and eating for 2 nights/1 day. Robyn

P.S. Forgot Dixie Crossings in Tutusville - great stop for lunch a couple of miles off I95. Terrific seafood. Try the rock shrimp - the best I've ever had. Try to get there a little before noon. It's a huge place - but it's usually slammed for lunch.

Edited by robyn (log)

Thank you Robyn.. Our main goal is to eat at roadside shacks and huts.. We are on a serious BBQ and Seafood mission.. The Inn at Little Washington is the only nice place just because its so high on our list of places to go.. Places like Georgia Pig or places where the shovel roasted oysters on to your table.. :biggrin:

Georgia Pig is exactly what I am looking for.. Thank you so much..

Dixie Bones in Woodbridge VA off I-95. Good Q. A little south futher south down 1 there is so real real good mexican food. I cannot read most of the menu, mostly when I'm down there I point act the pictures for dinner..and say please.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Thank you Robyn.. Our main goal is to eat at roadside shacks and huts.. We are on a serious BBQ and Seafood mission.. The Inn at Little Washington is the only nice place just because its so high on our list of places to go..  Places like Georgia Pig or places where the shovel roasted oysters on to your table..  :biggrin: 

Georgia Pig is exactly what I am looking for.. Thank you so much..

If you want seafood - Dixie Crossings is a must. Avoid the "shacks" when it comes to seafood in Florida. Most of what you'll get is frozen and/or has been hanging around too long. You want a big busy place like Dixie Crossings - where the stuff is absolutely fresh. Note that the place isn't expensive - but it isn't a dump. Just because a place looks like a dump doesn't mean the food is good - and vice versa.

Also note that I can't speak for other states - but - in general - in Florida - you don't want to eat raw oysters (or other raw seafood) - especially in the summer - especially in "shacks" - and especially after last year's storms (too many beds were polluted - and not everything you get is from beds that are supposedly "open"). Robyn

I'm going to second the advice about the raw oysters. I was always taught the adage, "Only in months that have an 'r'." In other words, don't eat oysters May-August.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

Dixie Bones in Woodbridge VA off I-95. Good Q. A little south futher south down 1 there is so real real good mexican food.  I cannot read most of the menu, mostly when I'm down there I point act the pictures for dinner..and say please.

Thanks for Dixie Bones.. We ate there coming home from our last trip.. Good thing about this place is there all you can eat buffet...

DAY 11:

Dixie Bones BBQ

13440 Occoquan Road

Woodbridge,VA

Friendly looking place.. Lots of families eating after Church most likely

gallery_15057_1683_499359.jpg

I dont know really know the exact price of the open buffet, but it was certainly a deal.. Came with refillable 20 oz glasses of southern ice tea..

There was a serious selection available here..

You have brisket, beans, pulled pork, bbq chicken, mac and cheese, a ridiculous potato dish, coleslaw, cornbread, collard greens..

gallery_15057_1683_753634.jpg

Pork,beans,beef chicken..

gallery_15057_1683_687459.jpg

Greens, Muddy spuds,( skin on potato cooked with bacon, and onions),Greens, and mac and cheese..

gallery_15057_1683_975872.jpg

Everything was good on the plate.. The collard greens were shocking my system with its green-ness.. They had different bbq sauces that went well with all the meats.. From a thick sauce to a thin vinegar base, I used and liked, most of them.. The spuds were fabulous..  The brisket was my favorite of the meats..

gallery_15057_1683_269256.jpg

For dessert we had a coconut cream pie and a chopped pecan, Pecan pie..

The coconut cream was exactly what I was expecting.. Super sweet starchy thick pudding.. With tons of toasted coconut on top.. Great

gallery_15057_1683_939495.jpg

The pecan pie was interesting.. The chopped pecans gave the pie a different attitude.. Was like moguls on a ski slope, rocky like eating hazelnuts.. I put my spoon under the layer of nuts and really went for the super caro goodness.

gallery_15057_1683_237863.jpg

you should be able to get stone crab claws in the Keys until mid-May - don't miss those!

Why not make a pit stop in Beaufort, SC (pronounced Byoo-fert as opposed to NC's Beaufort pronounced Boh-fert) Charming town where The Big Chill was filmed.

Try this link forInsider's Guide info

Edited by hazardnc (log)

you should be able to get stone crab claws in the Keys until mid-May - don't miss those!

Absolute, dead-on, requirement, my driving-fool friend. These are the sweetest, most delicious creatures in that part of the world, and some of my most memorable meals.

On Miami Beach there is the venerable Joe's Stone Crab which ain't really a shack and not cheap anymore but if you don't find any Stone Crabs in Key West, do yourself a favor and drop in here.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

One strongly urged route suggestion: A highlight of my recent trip to the keys was taking route 41 through the Everglades from outside of Miami to before Naples. Beautiful scenery, all manner of birds, and great tourist stops for a swamp boat ride and a variety of alligator preparations. This route will take you up the west coast which wasn't all that interesting for me except for Snook Haven in Venice.

Beyond that, must stops from my site - Bowen's Island outside of Charleston if they'll be roasting oysters (might be out of season) (spend a couple of days in Charleston if you haven't before and can), the other Louis Lunch in Gainesville, Carl's Frozen Custard in Fredricksburg VA, and for BBQ, the Skylight Inn in Ayden NC and Sweatman's (if they're open) in Holly Hill SC.

In Key West, tell the folks at B.O.'s Fish Fry I said hi.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

You guys are right.. Stone Crabs are a must...

Holly,

I checked out your website and was really looking forward to the guy shoveling the oysters.. Unfortunately they close in April.. I just missed them.. The other Louis Lunch.. They arent related are they?

Thanks for the advice..

One strongly urged route suggestion:  A highlight of my recent trip to the keys was taking route 41 through the Everglades from outside of Miami to before Naples.  Beautiful scenery, all manner of birds, and great tourist stops for a swamp boat ride and  a variety of alligator preparations.  This route will take you up the west coast which wasn't all that interesting for me except for Snook Haven in Venice.

Beyond that, must stops from my site - Bowen's Island outside of Charleston if they'll be roasting oysters (might be out of season) (spend a couple of days in Charleston if you haven't before and can), the other Louis Lunch in Gainesville, Carl's Frozen Custard in Fredricksburg VA, and for BBQ, the Skylight Inn in Ayden NC and Sweatman's (if they're open) in Holly Hill SC.

In Key West, tell the folks at B.O.'s Fish Fry I said hi.

I would be careful about that route this time of year. It's dry season/wildfire season - and it's been a bad one. Where I live - we've only gotten .26 inches of rain in the last 7 weeks. Parts of Tamiami Trail (and I95) have been closed on an almost daily basis. When it does start to rain (rainy season starts in June) - you will have millions of mosquitos hatching in the Everglades (and elsewhere). If someone is interested in seeing birds - here's the link to the Great Florida Birding Trail - which has sites all over the state. This time of year - I'd stick pretty close to the east coast. Or they can come to my backyard. It's been so dry we're seeing unusual birds like hawks at the bird baths.

I think there are some great places on the west coast of Florida - everything from Sanibel in the south to Cedar Key in the north (one of my favorites for canoeing and bird watching is Manatee Springs State Park near Chiefland - I think the Big Bend area is particularly unspoiled) - but you have to be willing to get off I75 and poke around for at least a few days. Ditto for the central Florida area (including places like Gainesville/Ocala/Micanopy).

There are some fun places to eat in all parts of Florda - but - in general - I don't think they're worth a detour - much less a journey. On the other hand - I think it's worthwhile for people to explore some of the less explored areas. I've lived in Florida for about 35 years now - and although I've explored the state on numerous trips - I'm always "finding" new things. It's a big state (one of the more interesting statistics is that if you're going from Florida to some places in the midwest - when you're halfway you're still in Florida!). So I guess it depends on how someone wants to plan a trip. If it's basically a week or less trip from Key West to the northeast - there really isn't enough time. Robyn

Having done the south Florida trip last May, I would urge you to avoid the Everglades. The bugs are awful right now and I say this as someone who grew up camping there every couple of winters for years. Last summer was just a bloody mess once the sun went down.

As for the keys, we had a good stop at Mangrove Mamas I think it's called, a built up fish shack about a third of the way down. Or I guess two thirds of the way out as you'll be leaving.

Otherwise, grouper, grouper grouper and stone crabs.

Before you leave the Keys you have to make sure to get yourself some conch fritters--not that they're always that good, but they squeak!

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

Edit to add :

Trip 1 Vegas to Manhattan

Trip Deux LV TO NYC

Road Trip III LV TO NYC

Road Trip IV Seattle to Mexico TO NYC

Unofficially trip 5 NY TO Maine and Back

A bit of clarification please. Why was your excellent New England adventure designated a mere "Unofficial Trip" as opposed to a genuine, official Road Trip?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Better than conch fritters is cracked conch (conch pounded, cut into strips and batter fried).

Grouper a must. If you dont see a grouper sandwich anywhere else, there's always Hooters. But you should see them everywhere.

Between the top of Key Largo and Homestead there was a place called Roberts at the Keys or something similar. Its a produce stand. The Key Lime milkshake is well worth a stop. I havent been there in 10 yrs, so maybe its gone.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

robyn was right - it was the Georgia Pig. the pork is chopped and the vinegary peppery sauce is great.

not just in the restaurant but all along the southern part of georgia and in florida i could smell that sulpherous smell in the drinking water - what can you do.

before you get to key west - about 10 miles there is Bobalu's Southern Cafe at MM10 on Big Coppitt Key (305)296-1664. we had fried chicken, fresh mullet and smothered pork chops there. not bad prices and good southern style food.

if you get off in maryland at Havre de Grace try Tidewater Grille on the bay at the foot of franklin street(410)939-3313. this is johnnybird's ususal stop off place when coming from or going to Aberdeen. fresh, fresh seafood - crabs and oysters especially.

have fun - we leave sunday for 10 days down the shore

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites