• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony Bourdain In Vancouver

SBonner

Why would you drool at the prospect of seeing Bourdain?

I find his writing inspiring and really entertaining. I would like to meet the real person.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Why would you drool at the prospect of seeing Bourdain?

I find his writing inspiring and really entertaining. I would like to meet the real person.

I saw him speak in Victoria a couple of years back at the Alix Goolden Hall, an historic church turned into the Victoria Conservatory of Music. This guy is the *real deal* especially to dirty cooks like myself.

I highly recommend the $10 ticket. After his short chat, he did a Q&A for an hour or so, then didn't leave until everyone who wanted a photo or autograph got one. I got four books signed and a few pix taken. A great afternoon, and I will be there when he speaks in Victoria next month, no doubt with a group of other, dirtier cooks. :biggrin:

-- Matt.

Matt,

Are tickets available?

I thought you could only get in by winning.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

I believe Matt is referring to the Victoria event which is listed in EAT, I can't remember the venue but tickets are $10.00. The Vancouver event is "you have to win to attend".

Cheers,

Anne

I believe Matt is referring to the Victoria event which is listed in EAT, I can't remember the venue but tickets are $10.00.  The Vancouver event is "you have to win to attend".

Thanks Barolo :wink:

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

• 1 month later...

Just got an e-mail saying that I won one of the tickets :rolleyes: Hope to see some egullet readers there on Sunday. Check your e-mails.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Yeah, I got a set of tickets as well! Went out and borrowed a "A Cook's Tour" from the library. Just finished reading Chapter 1, Where Food comes From.

It describes his visit to northern Portugal where his boss Jose and his much extended family kill a pig for the family feast. My folks are from there and man, AB hit all the nails on the head, describing the heart and soul of family feasts from my parents homeland.

Can't wait to swap notes with the man himself. If anyone ever asks what dinner is like in Portugal, I'll just tell them to read that section! (Or visit Senova in Kerrisdale, where Manuel Ferreira cooks up the good stuff too).

It'll be great to see fellow eGulleteers there. Better find my eGullet ring....

:biggrin:

Add me to the list as well. Was the fix in? :laugh:

That section in "A Cook's Tour" about the killing of the pig is about the funniest thing I've ever heard (I listened to the book on my iPod).

Guess I don't need to go try to catch a glimpse of him at 7am at Barbara Jo's now!

A.

Me too.

I havn't read A cooks tour yet either. I wonder what happened to the Kitchen Confidential TV series.

I guess I'll see some familiar faces this weekend.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I hope you'll all report after the taping.

His reading/signing in Winnipeg was great and it's sure to be enjoyable. Please let us know when this will air so the rest of us can listen.

Please let us know when this will air so the rest of us can listen.

The show is being taped for broadcast on North by Northwest on CBC

Radio, and will be broadcast on Saturday July 8 and Saturday July 15,

between 8 and 9 am (690 on the AM dial in Vancouver). After the

broadcast, it will be archived on the Book Club site at

www.cbc.ca/bc/bookclub .

The show is being taped for broadcast on North by Northwest on CBC

Radio.

That means I'll get two taste treats in July - the delicious diction of Sheryl MacKay :wub: , and the trotters tales of Tony B. :cool:

BRING IT ON, VANCOUVER - YOU BIG SEXY TOWN! :biggrin:

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Calling all early java junkies! Call Barbara jo at Books to Cooks to let them know you are coming to the Anthony Bourdain "The Nasty Bits" early morning book signing on Monday, June 12 - from 8 to 9 AM but store doors open at 7:30. 604 688.6755 so your coffee will be ready. No tickets, just an idea of how many to prep for.

Hey there y'all

Went to the Bourdain love-in last night. It was fun. Thankfully, I won tickets and in retrospect I'm glad I didn't fork out cash for it.

Don't get me wrong - he was entertaining and it was interesting to see the guy that the "Kitchen Confidential" series was based on. Due to the lack of reading time and TV channels due to my student lifestyle, I haven't had much time to get to know the guy and his musings. Did read a couple of chapters into "A Cook's Tour"; he's got a witty repertoire so I enjoyed his thoughts on the different countries, their food and culture. I've been to a few of those places so I really enjoyed being able to see the man in person talk about his experiences last night. His travel musings weren't all that different from what other authors have talked about but AB brings a good & different perspective to food, travel, and how it reflects the souls of different cultures.

Chef was a gracious, humble, and refreshingly blunt ("Can't get my shows? Use BitTorrent!"). The persona I got from his books wasn't too far off in person. Simple and honest answers to everyone's questions about heroin, Bobby whatisname, travelling, dealing with poverty and strange foods, etc... it was all good. There were naturally all types of questions like:

1) OMG, I looooooooooovve you, you've made a difference in my life, yadda, yadda, yadda, blah blah blah.... (like I said, it was a love-in last night....)

2) What would be your last meal? (clue: he's loyal to his fellow chefs....)

3) What's your favorite country (food-wise)? (interesting answer here...)

4) What do you cook when you are at home? (listen to the CBC special....)

etc etc etc...

(Our very own Daddy-A asked TB about his thoughts on the TV version of Kitchen Confidential! I'll let Arne explain that one. I liked the series! If you hadn't read the book like I didn't, it was comical. A bit over the top (like Chef Bourdain?) but a good sitcom... too bad Fox didn't keep it though..)

But I totally wasn't prepared for the huge turnout last night! Holy crap, my GF and I should have gotten there earlier! We would have stayed to get a book signed but it was crazy in the smoking section - Chef moved there tout-de-suite after it was over (any wonder why?). However, the dude walked right by me as I waited outside the bathroom! Christ, he's tall. And skinny. I'm going to have to download his shows. I was thinking that he and Ian Wright (Lonely Planet/Pilot Guides) should get together and bomb around Vietnam together - think of all the crazy shit those two could eat... now that would hilarious....)

Anyway, enough of my thoughts. It was a fun evening and a good way to pass a few hours.

Now even though I'm a Vancouverite and it's normal to play it cool around celebrities, here's my OMG-Look-who's-here! moment (Spotted at the Yale last night):

Jim Byrnes! The dude touched my shoulder as he walked by me! (Where was his Highlander sword? That shit was cool! Great tunes last night too.)

Jim Green! He should have been mayor! (Hmmm, why did he leave early?)

Daddy-A! I stood right behind him during the reading! (but what was so funny about the Simpson's and Comic Book guy? Did I miss something from one of his books or shows?)

Great comments mzungu!

I saw a lot of eGulleters last night but aside from bugging Arne that I could hear his voice across the pub (it's all love you know it :biggrin: ) I kept pretty low key. I did see VancityGirl walk past me like 5 times :cool:.

I enjoyed seeing the man in person. I read Kitchen Confidential and really enjoyed the book. It was simply so raw and blunt and out there. I guess I respected that he wasn't trying to be anything and in fact he admitted on several occasions that he was really just enjoying himself and he found a niche which enabled him to do so and make wads of cash.

1) OMG, I looooooooooovve you, you've made a difference in my life, yadda, yadda...

His response I believe was "uhh thanks, I didn't mean to". I laughed.

I think I was just glad that his in-person personality was very much in line with his writing. Made the writing a little more 'real' in the sense that he actually did crap like THAT.

Definately got the indication he was VERY busy enjoying himself so I also didn't bother lining up for the book signing. Honestly what do I really gain by having his name in my book? My friend and I decided to duck out and have some chocolate soufflee.

(Our very own Daddy-A asked TB about his thoughts on the TV version of Kitchen Confidential! I'll let Arne explain that one. I liked the series! If you hadn't read the book like I didn't, it was comical. A bit over the top (like Chef Bourdain?) but a good sitcom... too bad Fox didn't keep it though..)

I actually liked the show too. I did notice a rapidly approaching darkenss to all the characters who started out criminally lovable at first. I'm betting that the show got stuck on trying to tell it like it was which I'm guessing doesn't make for lovable characters. I would have been happy watching the continual madness if they kept the series going!

(but what was so funny about the Simpson's and Comic Book guy? Did I miss something from one of his books or shows?)

I thought it was a good comparison. Online communities have always been a double edged sword. They are wonderful tools for promoting new things but they run the risk of causing things to become the 'flavour of the week' instead of helping a restaurant/product/widget build a long term customer base. Blogs are always in the 'now' so people read them and sometimes look for the new greatest thing since sliced bread when in fact the old 'best thing' is still damn good, just old news.

Good to see Arne and wife at the event. I also think I saw Fud and HK Dave :biggrin:

Interesting to see and hear the man.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

The Comic Book Guy reference was one of the frickin' funniest things I have EVER heard from him. Besides it being a near perfect imitation, it was a direct reference to a certain founding member of a certain on-line food community. Brilliant.

I asked him how he felt Fox did with their adaptation of "Kitchen Confidential." I was kinda surprised at his answer, until I considered his creed: "I'm just surprised I get paid to do this." Imagine writing a book you thought nobody would read, and then having the same book turned into a TV show. I know I'd be blown away.

A.

Tony was at Union in Seattle tonight for dinner. Tix were $150, and included food (mussel, soup, asparagus and haricot verts, roast chicken, steak tartare, double-cut pork chops, the best fries and aioli, creme brulee, lemon tarts, lots of wine) and a copy of the book.

hhlodesign and I (along with 10 other guests last week) are going to be on "No Reservations" in late September. We taped the show last week.

Tony was at Union in Seattle tonight for dinner. Tix were $150, and included food (mussel, soup, asparagus and haricot verts, roast chicken, steak tartare, double-cut pork chops, the best fries and aioli, creme brulee, lemon tarts, lots of wine) and a copy of the book.

hhlodesign and I (along with 10 other guests last week) are going to be on "No Reservations" in late September. We taped the show last week.

Did Anthony eat his food?