• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bagels

Ann_T

Thanks so much for the pictorial! I've never made bagels before but would like to try a hand some time soon. I've seen on television another method for shaping bagels where each was hand-rolled out into a log, the ends pressed together, then hand rolled a litle more to seal those ends together. They were able to do this extremely quickly and could do it with one hand. Have you tried that method before as a comparison? Yours seems more fool-proof so may be the better route for my first time.

Michelle Pham

I like pie.

Would you mind posting the recipe? I've always been fascinated by the fact that bagels are cooked :-)

Nice pictorial !

Please? Your bagel pix are always so unbelievable.............

For those who are interested in the alternate shaping form, I did a pictorial in my foodblog. Bagels. (about 1/2 way down the page)

I use Peter Reinhart's recipe from BBA. Here is the formula for anyone interested (although I am very interested in seeing Ann's formula too!)

Bagels

Starter:

18 ounces high gluten flour (Sir Lancelot from King Arthur is what I use)

1 tsp. instant yeast

20 ounces (2.5 cups) room temp water

Mix together until hydrated, then place in covered bowl and let rise until very bubbly on top, about 2 hours.

Dough:

Starter

2 3/4 tsp. salt

1 tablespoon barley malt syrup

1/2 tsp. instant yeast

17 ounces high gluten flour

Mix starter, salt, syrup and yeast until blended. Add about 2/3 of flour and mix until dough forms. Add remainder of flour gradually, and knead (by machine) for about 6 minutes until smooth. Dough should be very stiff but pliable and still be able to pass a windowpane test. It shouldn't tear too easily but should be not at all tacky.

Immediately shape into 12 or 18 balls, depending on how large you want your bagels. Let rest under damp tea towel or damp paper towels for 20 minutes.

Shape into bagel shape using desired method. Place 6 bagels on parchment sheet sprayed with oil in half sheet pan or cookie sheet. (Bagels need to be a couple of inches apart.) Spritz top of bagels lightly with spray oil and cover with plastic wrap. Let rest another 20 minutes. Check to see if they pass the "float" test. This means have a bowl (I use a cereal bowl) of room temp water, and drop in a bagel. It should float within a few seconds. If not, blot dry with towel and replace on sheet. Wait another 20 minutes and test again.

NOTE: I don't always use the test and usually just let them rest for 30 minutes to be on the safe side.

Place sheets, covered with plastic wrap, in refrigerator over night.

In morning, preheat oven to 500. Boil water in large skillet or wide stockpot, add 1 Tbsp. baking soda. Boil bagels 1 to 2 minutes per side, more time = chewier. Sprinkle parchment with cornmeal or semolina flour while you are boiling the bagels, or spray with oil again. Place bagels on sheets, and bake for 5 minutes. Switch trays in oven and reduce heat to 450. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes longer, or until golden brown. Let rest at least 15 minutes before you cut them.

Edited by Darcie B (log)

• 1 year later...

awesome pictures! question, what kind of oven are you using? im thinking about purchasing a commercial single deck steam injection oven to put in my garage. yes im obsessive but its all part of a plan!

When I baked bagels yesterday I put together this pictorial to help some friends who were having a problem with shaping their bagels.

Bagel Pictorial

67474762-M.jpg

Ann