• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fenugreek / Methi

Fenugreek

(Trigonella foenum-graecum)

Fenugreek is one of the most respected spices and herbs found in India. The seeds are used as a spice. The leaves as herb and more often as a green.

Indian mothers are given fudge like desserts (laddoos) with fenugreek seeds in them. It is believed that they are great for a lactating mother. And also provide healthful benefits for the child. Mothers are traditionally fed these "laddoos" for 40 days.

It is an annual that grows in the milder climate Indian regions. The leaves are beautifully oval shaped. They have a prominently pronounced vein in the back. The plant has small pods that contain tiny seeds.

I have often found it at Balduccis. It is an easy plant to grow.

The seeds are small but pungent in a bitter and lingering way. The flavor lasts and will exude the potency of its inert oil long after the initial bite. The seeds are beige-ochre in color and have a tiny groove running across them. They are most often used in Southern Indian cooking, but have been adapted across the Indian landscape for their healthful properties.

In my pantry I always keep whole seeds. For some recipes I use powdered or coarsely crushed seeds. But I do that to recipe, using my Oster spice grinder. This ensures great flavor all the time.

If you cannot find fresh fenugreek leaves, you can always buy "Kasoori Methi" (even Qasoori or Kasuri) at the Indian grocery stores. These are dried fenugreek leaves.

In India it is believed that Fenugreek aids in digestion and relieves flatulence. Hence it is given to lactating mothers. The anti-flatulence properties help the baby that will have flatulence easily. It works wonders. My sister's son who is now 2 years old, was lucky to have been a guinea pig with this experiment. He reacted positively and it helped my sister a lot since he cried less.

The other Indian belief is that fenugreek contains a chemical that promotes lactation and helps a lactating mother express with ease. In fact Indian farmers even feed the seeds to cows for increasing the production of milk.

In India fenugreek was also used as a contraceptive. But I have only heard of this procedure. Never known of anyone having used it in these times.

Fenugreek seeds are an essential Pickling spice in the world of Indian cooking and pickle making. The leaves are used in several curries and vegetable stir fries.

Powdered fenugreek is one of my favorite spices. I like to add it to non-Indian dishes to give just a hint of "curry" aroma. If I could, I would make it into a perfume -- I love the smell that much.

Once I bought a bag of "Kasoori Methi," having absolutely no idea what it was, or how to use it. Looking it up in one of my reference books, I found that it is sometimes used with potatoes. I added some to regular Western mashed potatoes -- and it was delicious. (I especially like to add non-Western flavorings to Western dishes; like using fish sauce instead of salt, and so on.)

But I've read that it is very, very difficult to grind fenugreek seeds. Is that true?

Try grinding them in a Oster Spice Grinder attachment to fit their blenders. They work very well.

You can easily buy ground fenugreek seeds at Indian grocery stores.

By the way I love your addition of kasoori methi to mashed potatoes... Wow! Maybe that can make me love mashed potatoes. For a potato fan, mashed potatoes are the only way I cannot ever eat potatoes.. very uninspired to me. I love the Bengali version of mashed potatoes called Aloo Bharta... They make them with mustard oil, green chiles and cilantro added to the mashed potatoes. Deeply addictive.

• 2 weeks later...

Fenugreek was used by the ancient Greek in the making of balms that helped treat fever and was also a key ingredient in the science of mummyfying. It was also prized by the Romans and was respected for its food value that included minerals and proteins.

• 9 months later...

Indiachef and Indiagirl on another thread, bring out the fact that fenugreek is also a green. An essential part of Fenugreek actually.

Check out the thread for more information on Fenugreek, including the origin of the name Kasoori (Qasoori) for its dried form.

Click here

The other Indian belief is that fenugreek contains a chemical that promotes lactation and helps a lactating mother express with ease. In fact Indian farmers even feed the seeds to cows for increasing the production of milk.

Thanks for this interesting tid bit Suvir. Actually, I started wondering about it while watching "Six Feet Under" the HBO series this season and one of the characters who is breastfeeding said she's been eating lots of Fenugreek and it helped a lot although it made her sweat stink :wacko:. So I guess they were not making it up. Now all I have to do is get my soon-to-be-mom wife to eat plates full of it.

A very tasty recipe I tried with dried Fenugreek leaves is Lamb Meatballs, from Monica Bhide's book. They were very tasty and they had a a tatse that I describe as very savory. I also use it in some stewes and curries. I've never used it as powder or green.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

A very tasty recipe I tried with dried Fenugreek leaves is Lamb Meatballs, from Monica Bhide's book. They were very tasty and they had a a tatse that I describe as very savory. I also use it in some stewes and curries. I've never used it as powder or green.

The meatballs sound wonderful.

One of many other reasons to buy her book.

All the best to your wife and you through the pregnancy. :smile: