• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help me recreate this cake please!

heleen1

While browsing for cake ideas on the web, I came across this fabulaous chocolate cake from arizonacakes.com. (I'll try to attach the picture). I was thinking I could make the flowers out of fondant or chocolate plastique, but am wondering how I can attach the petals to eachother so they will keep, and second, how would I attach these flowers to the side of the cake without them sliding off? They are fairly big and I wonder if they will just slide down.

I'm thinking of making a two-tier chocolate cake covered with a chocolate glaze (poured ganache). Should I attach toothpicks to the flowers to stick them into the cake? And hod do I attach the toothpicks to the flower itsself?

My construction should hold up (decorated and all) in the fridge for at least 24 hours.

Any input is greatly appreciated!!

Oops, I can't seem to attach the picture, but it is at www.arizonacakes.com, go to cake pictures, then to weddings, it is the second cake on that page.

It looks to me that the flowers are made from a 4 petal cutter, that they are connected in the center and not individual petals, then the center is added. I think you could make them from gum paste or chocolate plastic then attach to the cake with a dab of chocolate. I doubt that they put toothpicks in them. I would think it would hold in the refrigerator fine, especially if after chilling you box it or somehow cover with plastic to keep moisture out.

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

Thanks for your input! I hadn't even thought of a 4-petal cutter, but that sounds logical and now that I look at the flowers again, I agree with you.

SO you would simply use a dab of melted chocolate to attach, do you think that would just adhere to the ganche?

It looks like a dogwood flower cutter. My advice if you purchase one of those cutters is to leave it in the package, (as long as it's tightly shrunkwrapped around the cutter so you can use it just like that), this way you won't have to worry about the cutter losing it's shape over use and time.

I don't think the flowers will just adhere to the ganache. Looks like you will need to do that with some chocoalte or royal icing.

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

I'd never have thought of leaving the shrink wrap on, thanks! I do have eneough out of shape cutters..

I kind of figured I needed something between the flowers and the ganache, but I worry that a dab of chocolate won't adhere to the ganache, thus will end up a sliding mess. Or do I put a dab of chocolate onto the back of the flower, form a 'spike' and then stick it into the cake when it's solid?

I think a little dab of chocolate on your flower will do it. Just hold the flower in position on the cake for a second or two, and it shouldnt' move. You don't need a lot of chocolate... just a dab. Good luck!

Just curious. . .I'm not a pastry chef, so the term "rolled buttercream icing" caught my eye. I know what buttercream icing is; I understand fondant; so what's "rolled" buttercream icing? :huh:

Just curious. . .I'm not a pastry chef, so the term "rolled buttercream icing" caught my eye.  I know what buttercream icing is; I understand fondant; so what's "rolled" buttercream icing? :huh:

Go here

Actually, due to the size of the petals, my guess would be individual petals placed on the cake then add the center. You could attach with royal icing or chocolate. It looks like a rose petal cutter would do the trick.

Actually, due to the size of the petals, my guess would be individual petals placed on the cake then add the center.  You could attach with royal icing or chocolate.  It looks like a rose petal cutter would do the trick.

I agree, that's the first thing I thought of when I looked at how the centers are done. The petals look individual and put in place then the center is piped over it to hold it together. I think it might be ok with ganache, but just in case would probably make a royal icing spike myself (shaped more like a golf tee) put the spike in, place the petals around it THEN pipe the royal centers so it dries to all petals and the spike. HTH Cute cake!