• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maraschino cherries

I've looked everywhere and can't find maraschino cherries (the kind you use to garnish drinks, with stems, NOT glace cherries for Christmas cakes). Anyone know where to get these? I'd like to make some Manhattans.

This is quite bizarre.

I'm quite sure any Coles/Safeway/Woolworth's would stock jars of the stuff in the baking section probably. Right next to cake mixes...

I'm... quite.. sure...

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

This is quite bizarre.

I'm quite sure any Coles/Safeway/Woolworth's would stock jars of the stuff in the baking section probably. Right next to cake mixes...

I'm... quite.. sure...

See, I was sure I could find them, too. I have a look in just about every Coles/Woolies/IGA I've been to lately, and no dice. I keep getting false hope from the red and green cocktail onions in the pickle section, although those would be good for festive Gibsons.

This is quite bizarre.

I'm... quite.. sure...

See, I was sure I could find them, too. I have a look in just about every Coles/Woolies/IGA I've been to lately, and no dice. I keep getting false hope from the red and green cocktail onions in the pickle section, although those would be good for festive Gibsons.

I don't think I've seen them in jars - I've seen them in packets though - in the dried fruit section next to the baking part in Coles. You might have more luck in the months leading up to Xmas.

There's always the Essential Ingredient - now in Crows Nest, for your expensive shopping requirements...

cheers

Maliaty

Edited by Maliaty (log)

i'm checking out coles/safeway/iga tonight on my way home...

and loiosh... might want to change your profile to reflect your new residential status!! You're a Sydneysider now!!

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

Hi, have you looked in bottle shops? I'm pretty sure I've seen some in a local bottle shop recently.. next to the packets of cocktail umbrellas.

Can't recall seeing maraschino cherries at a supermarket in recent history. I think you're looking at niche or bottle shops.

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."