• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gisslen vs. Friberg

chantal

Hi everyone. I just started baking professionally again and would like to get one good all around reference book. I'd love to get some feedback from all of you about which of the two books is better and what editions are the best.

I have been considering Gisslen's fourth edition and The Advanced Pastry Chef by Friberg. I was able to try a few recipes from Friberg's book but the temps seemed off. The scones and lemon buttermilk pound cake were both good though I made significant adjustments on the cooking times (375 to 325) and (425 to 375)--this is a larger correction than usual for our convection ovens. There is no copy of Gislen around to try recipes from so I can't compare. The reviews I have read for both books are equally good and negative. I really would like a book with weights, is the Gisslen book in weights too? Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by chantal (log)

I have both 4th editions of Frigbergs Pro Pastry Chef, and even though theres a lot of information to get from it the book is almost pointless to follow. One of my instructors (I won't say who), accidently remarked in private to me "thats the worse book ever". And I couldn't defend it because a lot of the recipes are off, some much more than others.

Try the CIA Baking and Pastry book, it has been my favorite all around pastry book to date. But its also good to get a collection or many books of different specializations.

Edited by chiantiglace (log)

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

I have both books as well as the CIA book Anthony has. I find the Friberg books have more varying components, and I flip through often getting different ideas. The Gisslen book is the book I used in school and I find it has more instructional information. The CIA book I have found to have the best recipes overall.

So, I use them in tandem. However, if you can only have one (is that possible??? these are like potato chips for me...) I would also pick the CIA book.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Thanks so much to both of you. You know, I made some muffins recently from the CIA book and they were very very good. I considered it but wasn't sure. I'll be ordering it in the next day or so. Thanks again

Edited by chantal (log)